TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags [FUN] Corporate Discussion Thread

p. 91: Six Flags and Cedar Fair to enter "merger of equals" agreement, company will still be called "Six Flags"

LOL.

We've also seen how our third initiative, optimizing pricing and promotions can drive attendance and revenue growth. Before the pandemic, we began to change our pricing and outreach to target more single-day guests. In the first quarter, prior to shutting the seven parks that were open during that timeframe. We sold 38% more paid single-day tickets compared to the previous year, with total attendance up 19%.

From the chain that just this month began offering $60 season passes valid at all parks.

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

I'll leave this right here...

In addition, optimizing our rides will save us enough capex to fund a new ride every single year. Our park Presidents, engineers and maintenance teams have studied the performance of each and every ride, calculating the cost against the ride's throughput productivity. We now know which rides to redeploy across parks, which rides need to be refurbished, and which can be removed entirely. We are eliminating 15 underperforming rides this year, reducing maintenance costs, and freeing up significant capex resources.

Full conference call transcript.

hmm. . . gotta wonder if a certain ride type/types, that are represented at multiple parks are all gonna get cut at the same time.

trying to think what never has a line, and other than the S&S freespins (which I dont' think are going anywhere), at Fiesta Texas, that would be several of the kiddie rides.

Several parks just refurbed (or installed) versions of Scramblers or Tilt-a-Whirls, so those are likely safe.

gotta wonder about things like Harley Quinn Spinsanity (at SFOT) which seems to always have issues, and doesn't run all that well.   But they did just put it in relatively recently.

curious, curious.

My money is on the Superloops getting the ax.  I also don't think it bodes well for some of the classic woodies in the chain like Little Dipper at SFGAm and Thunderbolt at SFNE.

Thunderbolt? Come on now 🤣

I feel like they’re mostly going to get rid of rides that are maintenance-intensive or unpopular. Thunderbolt is very popular and not going anywhere ever. If they were going to remove a coaster from that park, it should absolutely 100% be Goliath and we all know it.

Bert is absolutely on to something with Spinsanity and Cyborg. Those rides are perpetually broken and they don’t seem to be very popular with anyone. They’re just all-around bad rides and bad investments and nobody would miss them if they were gone forever. If I were corporate those train wrecks would be at the top of my shit list. Literally...

We are very pleased with the loyalty and retention of our very large active pass base of 3.7 million, which included 1.9 million members and 1.9 million season pass holders at the end of the third quarter. In fact, our active pass base is close to flat versus the end of the second quarter of this year, when we had 2.1 million members and 1.7 million season pass holders.

Although the active pass base at the end of the third quarter is down 49% compared to the same time last year, this is primarily due to substantially lower sales of new season passes and memberships, due to the short-term impact on demand from the pandemic. To-date, 14% of current members have chosen to pause their membership and we anticipate that most of these paused members will return to active paying members, once we reopen our remaining parks.

They had around 7 million pass holders in the previous year. I can't believe they lost almost half their memberships and season-pass holders. I expected some people would opt out, but with how cheap they usually are and the parks fan-base returning to the open parks I didn't expect the new number to be 3.7.

14% are paused, even if somehow they all un-pause and no one cancels that would still mean a 37% decrease.

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

If they were going to remove a coaster from that park, it should absolutely 100% be Goliath and we all know it.

This was the first coaster that came to my mind. Six Flags cannot possibly be pleased with their investment in that ride over the last 8 years.

Thinking of my home Six Flags (Magic Mountain), the two that come to mind are Viper and Ninja. Not sure which one is more of a maintenance headache, if either. But it does seem that Viper is much less popular. Fingers crossed these removals turn out to be old flat rides, etc. rather than iconic, classic roller coasters.

3 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I feel like they’re mostly going to get rid of rides that are maintenance-intensive or unpopular. Thunderbolt is very popular and not going anywhere ever. If they were going to remove a coaster from that park, it should absolutely 100% be Goliath and we all know it.

Bert is absolutely on to something with Spinsanity and Cyborg. Those rides are perpetually broken and they don’t seem to be very popular with anyone. They’re just all-around bad rides and bad investments and nobody would miss them if they were gone forever. If I were corporate those train wrecks would be at the top of my shit list. Literally...

Because Goliath is down a lot for maintenance? 

Edit: I'm hoping one of the 15 removed rides is Batwing at Six Flags America. 

2 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I have not seen poor little Deja Vu since that slow loading unreliable piece of crap left Magic Mountain.  it sounds like renaming it Goliath and moving it across the country to SFNE didn't fix its reliability issues?

If that is true, it is possible that moving Green Lantern First Flight to La Ronde will not make it a good coaster either.  Shocking!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

This was the first coaster that came to my mind. Six Flags cannot possibly be pleased with their investment in that ride over the last 8 years.

Thinking of my home Six Flags (Magic Mountain), the two that come to mind are Viper and Ninja. Not sure which one is more of a maintenance headache, if either. But it does seem that Viper is much less popular. Fingers crossed these removals turn out to be old flat rides, etc. rather than iconic, classic roller coasters.

I cant picture MM removing a coaster before they claim first park to 20 coasters. I picture them removing Jet Stream or tidal wave

11 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

Thinking of my home Six Flags (Magic Mountain), the two that come to mind are Viper and Ninja. Not sure which one is more of a maintenance headache, if either. But it does seem that Viper is much less popular.

I would imagine Ninja is the bigger maintenance headache by far. More parts on the trains, two lift hills, tree maintenance (what's left of them) etc; Though I could see them getting rid of Viper first since it's less popular and sits on an easier to work with plot of land than does Ninja. 

1 hour ago, grsupercity said:

I cant picture MM removing a coaster before they claim first park to 20 coasters.

I can't tell if you're serious or joking but either way this is hilarious. 🤣

I, for one, am flat out impressed at the number of experienced maintenance workers on this forum all of a sudden.

I keep hearing “Super Loops” thrown around and I’d love to hear the justification for why Six Flags would want to remove a reasonably popular flat ride that they just bought a million of that basically never break down and don’t require much staffing.

I’d imagine the justification is “I don’t like them because they called them coasters”.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, boldikus said:

I, for one, am flat out impressed at the number of experienced maintenance workers on this forum all of a sudden.

Oh come on now.  Pick 15 Six Flags rides that are past their prime or never should have been purchased in the first place is a fun game.  If they didn't want us to play, they would have given us the list.  We should get prizes if we can guess them all correctly. :-)

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

I keep hearing “Super Loops” thrown around and I’d love to hear the justification for why Six Flags would want to remove a reasonably popular flat ride that they just bought a million of that basically never break down and don’t require much staffing.

I’d imagine the justification is “I don’t like them because they called them coasters”.

I get why enthusiasts make jokes about rides like these or Cedar Point's Pipe Scream that but since my son started riding things I've been a lot more forgiving on the naming. He sees it's called a coaster and that makes him think he's rode a roller-coaster then who am I to correct him.

Nah, I'm totally kidding. I'm an enthusiast and obviously correcting people on this takes priority. He rode one of those powered double helix coasters at Seoul Land and was happy to have rode his first roller-coaster. I sat him on my knee and gave him a 15 minute lecture on why it didn't count as a 'credit' and he couldn't tell his friends that he rode a roller-coaster. He cried but lessons were learned and he said he doesn't want to ride roller-coasters anymore so at least he won't make that mistake ever again.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, boldikus said:

The engineers are finally taking a breath and letting the maintenance workers speak.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, grsupercity said:

I cant picture MM removing a coaster before they claim first park to 20 coasters. I picture them removing Jet Stream or tidal wave

Thank you for bringing up Tidal Wave. If the rumors of the SFMM Raptor coming in the next few years to that area are true, then Tidal Wave would have to go either way. Makes sense that it'd likely be Magic Mountain's pick for these removals

4 hours ago, boldikus said:

I was serious. In the competitive Cali Market I think MM wants to be able to brag first park to 20 coasters! 

I am by no means a maintenance worker. I am sure though that Superman, Tatsu, Ninja, Yolo, Riddler, Viper, WCR all need crazy attention given age or tech on those rides 

While I do think that MM is removing Tidal Wave and maybe not a coaster, is being the first park to 20 coasters something anybody outside the marketing department is even remotely interested in? For whatever reason I seem to see this stated as fact from time to time, but it seems like nothing more than a tagline along with the other 15 "world records" parks feel they need to celebrate with each new addition. They're studying cost vs popularity of each ride here to reduce maintenance costs and free up money. I don't think that formula includes whether or not it gets them to some magic number of coasters.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think having 20 coasters is on the long list of things only enthusiasts care about but they insist everyone else does too.

• Like 1

I think it's the opposite actually. When's the last time anyone here cared how many coasters SFMM has?  It's something my non enthusiast friends may mention while walking up to the park. I couldn't care less.

That said, Tidal Wave and Jet Stream are toast! 😅

5 hours ago, grsupercity said:

I was serious. In the competitive Cali Market I think MM wants to be able to brag first park to 20 coasters! 

I am by no means a maintenance worker. I am sure though that Superman, Tatsu, Ninja, Yolo, Riddler, Viper, WCR all need crazy attention given age or tech on those rides 

What other park in the competitive Cali market is even close to 20 coasters?