TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags [FUN] Corporate Discussion Thread

p. 91: Six Flags and Cedar Fair to enter "merger of equals" agreement, company will still be called "Six Flags"

Even if you like normal coke better than normal Pepsi (I don't find *that* big a difference), Coke absolutely slaughters Pepsi when it comes to diet sodas imo. Coke Zero is actually pretty good, while diet Pepsi should be avoided like the plague.

OMG this all day! Coke Zero absolutely destroys all other diet sodas imo

If switching from Coke to Pepsi means getting Dr. Pepper, I'd be all over that.

But yeah, Coke Zero is absolutely the best diet soda out there right now; and the orange vanilla is HEAVENLY.

Dr. Pepper is an independent brand, theoretically could be added if Six Flags wanted to but I'm sure they would rather only deal with a single company when it comes to an operation this large.

But yeah, Coke Zero is absolutely the best diet soda out there right now; and the orange vanilla is HEAVENLY.

Dr. Pepper is an independent brand, theoretically could be added if Six Flags wanted to but I'm sure they would rather only deal with a single company when it comes to an operation this large.

It is distributed and bottled by themselves, Pepsi, and coke depending on the region.

^Does Coke or Pepsi have their own competitor for Dr. Pepper as well? When some friends took me to Cedar Point when I went out to visit them, I stayed in Pennsylvania and at some of the restaurants we went to, I never saw Dr. Pepper on the fountains but so many people were drinking something that tasted like it (they said it was better but I can't even remember the taste to compare) and I've never seen it elsewhere on my (mostly European/Asian) travels. I feel like even the name sounded like a knock-off of Dr. Pepper.

Excuse me... it's Dr Pepper (no period)!

^Does Coke or Pepsi have their own competitor for Dr. Pepper as well? When some friends took me to Cedar Point when I went out to visit them, I stayed in Pennsylvania and at some of the restaurants we went to, I never saw Dr. Pepper on the fountains but so many people were drinking something that tasted like it (they said it was better but I can't even remember the taste to compare) and I've never seen it elsewhere on my (mostly European/Asian) travels. I feel like even the name sounded like a knock-off of Dr. Pepper.

Mr. Pibb? It's a Coke product.

Pibb xtra

since Dr Pepper was created right up the road in Waco, at least in Texas you'll discover that places that carry Pepsi, will typically offer Dr Pepper as well.

but, if they carry Coke products, then your option is going to be Mr. Pibb (which is similar to Dr Pepper, but I find it a bit sweeter). The closest Mr. Pibb taste to Dr Pepper is going to be, as Haymaker mentions, Pibb xtra - which Coke *created* to compete more closely with Dr Pepper's taste.

I would welcome Pepsi with open arms, not that I'm gonna hold my breath. I hated when SW/BG switched to Coke. It was the only major chain (that I was aware of at the time anyway) that had Pepsi, and the parks I visit most often since living here in FL. I mostly drink water, in general, and Dasani is f'n nasty. Aquafina I could at least drink. At least most parks let you bring in one bottled water (or more in some cases) when you enter the park, but of course it's enough to get started with. I usually refill at the fountains or bottle refill stations if available vs. that nasty metallic tasting Dasani, and Smartwater? Complete rip off IMO.

As far as sodas, I'll get one when I'm having a meal, maybe a refill if I'm there all day long. I can tolerate Coke in fountain drink form, but still prefer Pepsi. One exception is Cherry Coke, which I love. Cherry Pepsi is blah as hell. I can usually find Cherry Coke in parks with the freestyle machines at least, and occasionally a restaurant might have it.

I can't wait for the 2021 announcements. Being a DC nerd, I pay close attention to who they theme the rides after. It's about time Martian Manhunter or Green Arrow get a ride.

I bet Spanos will continue the trend of cheesy videos.

• 1 month later...

Six Flags Plunges to Five-Year Low on Warning Over China Parks

Six Flags Entertainment Corp. fell as much as 19%, the stock’s worst loss ever, after warning that troubles with its planned China theme parks will hurt revenue -- and could lead to all of the projects being canceled.

The stock tumbled as low as $35.28 in New York trading Friday, its lowest intraday level since October 2014.

Six Flags said its Chinese development partner, Riverside Investment Group, “continues to face severe challenges due to the macroeconomic environment and the declining real estate market in China” and had defaulted on required payments to Six Flags. Riverside didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

The domestic market provided Six Flags no respite. The Grand Prairie, Texas-based company said attendance at its North American parks fell “due to softer than expected season pass and membership sales, primarily during the holiday sales periods.” That probably reduced fourth-quarter revenue by $8 million to $10 million compared with the year-earlier period, Six Flags said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-10/six-flags-plunges-on-warning-it-may-cancel-all-china-projects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bostonlva

Am I surprised, not at all. Do I think the final remaining international agreement park in Saudi Arabia will ever end up getting built either, not a chance.

Also, as far as the domestic performance, it's kind of funny. You'd almost think charging me $3.99 for my monthly membership to 30 parks, but $6 for a bottle of water to someone who spends more than I do for the entire year to buy a one day ticket is bad business practice or something, who would have thought!

I think signing a Vekoma agreement would be a fantastic idea. I have been seeing on here that their new rides have been getting a very enthusiastic thumbs up from enthusiasts so why not give the company a second chance. Gone are the Deja Vu days.

I also think that SF working closely with Premier and S and S seems to be a great move. As much as I love a great big B&M it just seems unnecessary.

Six Flags will work with anyone who will give them a ride that they think people will care about for a lower price than their competitors. They clearly don't shy away from companies based on potential reliability issues. They buy prototype after prototype, sometimes coming in with multiple orders on rides that have never been built anywhere because they're cheap and willing to take risks on reliability to save money.

If they don't want to buy something from Vekoma it won't be because they're salty about something that happened 20 years ago it will be because someone else had a better price.

Edited by coasterbill

• 2 weeks later...
Six Flags will work with anyone who will give them a ride that they think people will care about for a lower price than their competitors. They clearly don't shy away from companies based on potential reliability issues. They buy prototype after prototype, sometimes coming in with multiple orders on rides that have never been built anywhere because they're cheap and willing to take risks on reliability to save money.

If they don't want to buy something from Vekoma it won't be because they're salty about something that happened 20 years ago it will be because someone else had a better price.

Cedar Fair also hasn't worked with Intamin in a decade. And I doubt Orion was cheaper than an Intamin.

Exactly. Otherwise what are they doing working with Premier Rides?

since Dr Pepper was created right up the road in Waco, at least in Texas you'll discover that places that carry Pepsi, will typically offer Dr Pepper as well.

Imagine if Waco was actually famous for Dr. Pepper instead of a cult massacre. It'd be a tourist trap.

...company said attendance at its North American parks fell “due to softer than expected season pass and membership sales, primarily during the holiday sales periods.”

News flash - When you advertise "new for 2019" rides and the star attraction doesn't open until CHRISTMAS, the public trust will falter. These dingalings screwed themselves. Nobody trusts Six Flags on two major issues -

1 - Guest service / experience. Everyone knows "having a Six Flags day!" means "yay rides but F!$# everything else about this place!"

2 - Ride operations. Not only does everyone know that ride crews at Six Flags are, aside from the rare exception, slow and terrible, but everyone also knows that you're not guaranteed to see every ride operational on a day-to-day basis. AND NOW everyone knows that Six Flags can't be bothered to install their new attractions in a timely fashion!

I remember growing up and seeing "New for Six Flags Great Adventure in (insert 1986-1999 here)!" meant that the new ride, show, or attraction would most likely be open on opening day, if not then certainly by Spring Break. Now you're lucky if it's ready by June or July. I've not bought a Six Flags season pass in a few years now and I honestly don't see a point in the future where I will. Hell, I've not attended a Six Flags park since 2018. There's no draw to get me to purchase a ticket when I know that it's a mixed bag. It's a gamble to attend their parks and I'm not a gambler.