TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags [FUN] Corporate Discussion Thread

p. 91: Six Flags and Cedar Fair to enter "merger of equals" agreement, company will still be called "Six Flags"

Six Flags Tampa (Previously Busch Gardens Tampa)

At least the rumored Sky Rocket II would be lap bar only.

RMC would certainly be in the house as well

Between a lap bar Sky Rocket II and RMC Gwazi, and the animals, the hypothetical Six Flags Tampa would be a better Discovery Kingdom. Kumba / Montu / Cheetah Hunt easily beats Medusa / Kong / V2.

I wonder if they'll look into buying some of the SeaWorld parks. SeaWorld San Antonio is but a 15-minute drive from SFFT, and if the SW parks really are doing poorly, I'm sure SEAS would be happy to offload it. SeaWorld San Diego is another possibility, as it's a 3-4 hour drive from SFMM.

I wonder if they'll look into buying some of the SeaWorld parks. SeaWorld San Antonio is but a 15-minute drive from SFFT, and if the SW parks really are doing poorly, I'm sure SEAS would be happy to offload it. SeaWorld San Diego is another possibility, as it's a 3-4 hour drive from SFMM.

I had a similar thought. I’m not sure that SEAS would be willing to sell the Busch parks at any price SF would be willing to pay because the Busch parks are seemingly less damaged than the rest and provide SEAS with a more viable path to future profitability. The SeaWorld brand, on the other hand, is clearly damaged, and I could see SEAS being willing to offload some or all of those parks for a more reasonable price. The synergy of having another California SF park might make sense, and SF has been rumored to want a Florida park for years. With SFFT right down the road, I’m not sure about SeaWorld San Antonio.

^ Merlin actually approached SeaWorld recently about buying the Busch Gardens parks, but because they're the most profitable parks in the chain, SW wasn't willing to let them go. But with the SeaWorld parks clearly struggling to turn a profit, I'm sure the chain wouldn't mind offloading them.

As someone who lives in STL, it maddens me to see SFStL be such cheap asses and never give the park anything good/new/shiny (that actually always works **cough** Justice League was nice but it never works to its fullest **cough) and then SF Corporate announces they want to acquire new parks. Fix up and give your current ones some new coasters and stop playing musical chairs with rides If you're doing so well to expand in China and acquire parks, you can buck up for RMC Boss or something!!!!

As someone who lives in STL, it maddens me to see SFStL be such cheap asses and never give the park anything good/new/shiny (that actually always works **cough** Justice League was nice but it never works to its fullest **cough) and then SF Corporate announces they want to acquire new parks. Fix up and give your current ones some new coasters and stop playing musical chairs with rides If you're doing so well to expand in China and acquire parks, you can buck up for RMC Boss or something!!!!

I started to write out a response to this post but there's only so much time in a day so I'll just sit here and laugh instead. How can people who call themselves enthusiasts of this industry know so little about how these parks operate?

Theme parks are not charity cases. Corporate doesn't "give them" rides because their fans deserve it or it's been awhile since they got the last one. These rides are calculated investments that are expected to generate a return.

Also, these overseas parks are licensing deals.

Edited by coasterbill

Now that is interesting development with them shopping for parks. I like the concepts they are doing for China, the Six Flags Adventure park in particular. I could see them acquiring whitewater rafting parks, like the US National Whitewater Center, and then adding in other attractions, like motorbike coasters, etc.

With the US parks with the available land, imo they should relocate the upcharge low capacity attractions like Skycoasters/Go Karts, into an "adventure" park.

I also agree they have some work to do on their current US parks to say the least.

I think you guys are reading too much into this. I’d guess they are looking for water parks to pair up at parks that don’t already have them in their market.

This is what I'm thinking too. They did the same things with Waterworld Concord, which they did previously own before. I'm pretty excited about finally attending Waterworld this summer after not going since the day Six Flags sold it.

The small child in me wants to see them buy Scandia in Ontario, CA

Always pass by there on the way to Murrieta, never time to stop though.

Not to get off topic, but I'm surprised you actually go to Murrieta, for whatever reason! That's where I grew up and my family lives. Whenever I tell someone I'm from Murrieta, they're like "where?" Lol, sorry, just had to pop in and say that!

Back to discussion...

I think you guys are reading too much into this. I’d guess they are looking for water parks to pair up at parks that don’t already have them in their market.

Isn't LaRonde now their only park without a nearby waterpark now that they picked up the Waterworld park and the water park in Mexico?

Isn't LaRonde now their only park without a nearby waterpark now that they picked up the Waterworld park and the water park in Mexico?

I don't know how big it is but there is a separate admission waterpark in San Antonio called Splashtown.

Also Schlitterbahn New Braunfels is about 40 miles away

What parks would they buy? Cedar Fair is definitely not selling and I doubt any park worthwhile would sell for cheap.

That's what I was thinking. I'm having a hard time thinking of theme parks that are reasonably close to existing Six Flags parks that the company would consider purchasing.

I personally would love to see Elitch Gardens and Darien Lake become Six Flags parks again, but I highly doubt that will ever happen. Maybe Alabama Adventure, since it is a 2.5 hour drive from SFOG? Or something up near SFGAm like Indiana Beach or Wisconsin Dells maybe? I really have no idea.

I really wish they would bring back Darien Lake, they're in need of a big and wealthy company to get the park back up to standards, many areas of the park need to be repaired, attendance is barely climbing (though with Tantrum arriving I think it'll reel in some), and the park's coasters only have 1 train.

What parks would they buy? Cedar Fair is definitely not selling and I doubt any park worthwhile would sell for cheap.

That's what I was thinking. I'm having a hard time thinking of theme parks that are reasonably close to existing Six Flags parks that the company would consider purchasing.

I personally would love to see Elitch Gardens and Darien Lake become Six Flags parks again, but I highly doubt that will ever happen. Maybe Alabama Adventure, since it is a 2.5 hour drive from SFOG? Or something up near SFGAm like Indiana Beach or Wisconsin Dells maybe? I really have no idea.

I really wish they would bring back Darien Lake, they're in need of a big and wealthy company to get the park back up to standards, many areas of the park need to be repaired, attendance is barely climbing (though with Tantrum arriving I think it'll reel in some), and the park's coasters only have 1 train.

Why do the coasters at Darien Lake only have 1 train?

Why do the coasters at Darien Lake only have 1 train?

Budgets

Six Flag's should buy Marineland in Niagara Falls.

That park has a decent enough group of rides to start off with plus loads of unnoccupied land to make plenty much needed expansions. It's a border park with millions of annual tourists a year just a quick drive away and has the potential to rival Wonderland given the right management. It would just depend on how much money SF would be willing to invest into a single park while at the same time try not to overload it like Geauga Lake.