TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags [FUN] Corporate Discussion Thread

p. 91: Six Flags and Cedar Fair to enter "merger of equals" agreement, company will still be called "Six Flags"

I wonder what percentage of revenue CF invests into rides, seems like it'd be much less than SF. CF is doing a $10 million GCI, a mix of new and used flat rides, some water park additions, and new trains. Can't possibly total up to $75 mil

CF spends way more than SF yearly.

I wonder what percentage of revenue CF invests into rides, seems like it'd be much less than SF. CF is doing a $10 million GCI, a mix of new and used flat rides, some water park additions, and new trains. Can't possibly total up to $75 mil

Well we know CF invests more as a whole, but I'm speaking about ride additions specifically. 6 of SF parks are getting major additions for 2017, while only one CF park is getting a major addition (Mystic Timbers).

Well we know CF invests more as a whole, but I'm speaking about ride additions specifically. 6 of SF parks are getting major additions for 2017, while only one CF park is getting a major addition (Mystic Timbers).

LOL What you consider major attractions is clearly suspect.

Cedar Fair doesn't have a set percentage which is intended to be reinvested in any one specific thing. I don't disagree with what Superbatboy necessarily says from a structural point of view, but it is also important to recall that Cedar Fair operates a total of 5 hotels and 3 campgrounds compared to one hotel for Six Flags. Kinzel was in the mindset of never updating hotels and building rides, and he let those places go to hell. Thankfully that's not the case any more.

Well it isn't necessarily what I consider major attractions, but Six Flags who is spending 7-10 million a pop for them.

Prediction, SF newest clone will be Skyline Attractions Skywarp. Just saw an interview with Skyline from IAAPA and they point blank said the ride cost 2M and also offer a higher cost LSM model. The ride has a small foot print. Totally can see any SF park without a Super loop getting a 2M model Skywarp. That would be MM, GAm, OT, LR, Mexico.

Edited by eugjackson

I'd argue that Cedar Fair has five major additions coming up as well. Kings Island (Mystic Timbers, WinterFest), Carowinds (4 new rides, WinterFest), Worlds of Fun (2 new rides, new front gate, WinterFest), Knott's Berry Farm (New slide complex, Sol Spin), and Cedar Point (New slide complex, Splash Pad)

^Not to mention they will take a partial hit on the 2017 capital budget for Mean Streak and Hurler.

To further your point, even though some of what CF is installing next year is used, the complete rehab and shipping costs for those rides are not cheap and I would certainly consider all of them major attractions for their respective parks.

Look at SFOT with Riddler. When is the last time you saw a flat consistently have 60-90 minute lines?(especially ones that come damn close to theoretical throughput which Riddler does) The last I remember any flat having that kind of line would have been the S&S Towers when new, and maybe the first month of operation a few of the S&S Screamin' Swings.

So while flats might not look like much on the surface, when the rights ones are placed, they become a major attraction.

^Not to mention they will take a partial hit on the 2017 capital budget for Mean Streak and Hurler.

To further your point, even though some of what CF is installing next year is used, the complete rehab and shipping costs for those rides are not cheap and I would certainly consider all of them major attractions for their respective parks.

Look at SFOT with Riddler. When is the last time you saw a flat consistently have 60-90 minute lines?(especially ones that come damn close to theoretical throughput which Riddler does) The last I remember any flat having that kind of line would have been the S&S Towers when new, and maybe the first month of operation a few of the S&S Screamin' Swings.

So while flats might not look like much on the surface, when the rights ones are placed, they become a major attraction.

The rides alone I wouldn't consider to be major attractions, but on top of all of those rides, Carowinds is adding a new section to the park+WinterFest, and Worlds of Fun is adding a new front entrance+WinterFest. While there may not be that huge new ride that eats people all season, WinterFest is very expensive for both parks. Additionally, for WOF, a new front gate sets a fantastic first impression for visitors, which is a big deal (just like it was for Cedar Point and Carowinds).

Random Question : Does anybody know how much liquid the Six Flags Sports Bottles hold? I'm thinking like 32 oz but I didn't know if there is an official volume.

I don't have a Six Flags sports bottle myself, so I can't do these calculations. Assuming you do, though, here's a handy tool you can use to calculate the volume of a truncated cone:

https://rechneronline.de/pi/truncated-cone.php

Now if you enter radius 1, radius 2, and height all in inches, you'll get an answer in cubic inches, so you'll need to convert that to fluid ounces:

www.convertunits.com/from/fluid+ounces/to/cubic+inches

Random Question : Does anybody know how much liquid the Six Flags Sports Bottles hold? I'm thinking like 32 oz but I didn't know if there is an official volume.

I don't have a Six Flags sports bottle myself, so I can't do these calculations. Assuming you do, though, here's a handy tool you can use to calculate the volume of a truncated cone:

https://rechneronline.de/pi/truncated-cone.php

Now if you enter radius 1, radius 2, and height all in inches, you'll get an answer in cubic inches, so you'll need to convert that to fluid ounces:

www.convertunits.com/from/fluid+ounces/to/cubic+inches

Or you could just take an 8 ounces glass filled with water and keep pouting it into the water bottle until it is full. Estimated the last pour is not a full 8 ounces, estimate those last few ounces. As a math teacher that's what I would do since absolute precision is not vital.

As a math teacher that's what I would do since absolute precision is not vital.

Maybe not to you, but to most of us this is a serious issue and 100% precision is of the of the utmost importance. Personally I think you need to follow ytterbiumanalyst's method with the truncated cone, but make sure you carry the 2. If you don't carry the 2 it f**ks everything up.

Maybe not to you, but to most of us this is a serious issue and 100% precision is of the of the utmost importance. Personally I think you need to follow ytterbiumanalyst's method with the truncated cone, but make sure you carry the 2. If you don't carry the 2 it f**ks everything up.

Silly me. There's a reason it is 1.21 Gigawatts and not 1.2 Gigawatts!

BTW - I was able to pour 4 cups of water into my 2017 Six Flags water bottle. However, a little spilled (I couldn't measure the exact amount of the spill) when I tried to screw on the top and straw, but there was still an air pocket in the semi-spherical lid. In theory you could fit another 4 ounces in that space, but I think it would be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to secure the lid without spilling most of that 4 ounces.

So, in summation I'll stand by my non-precise answer of approx. 32 fluid ounces.

See, this guy knows what's up. Personally, I take every opportunity to measure things and figure out the answers, especially when there are tools available so you don't have to do the actual math. I come from a long line of engineers. But yeah, Larry's method totally works too.

^^

Just a suggestion but, why not seek out water fountains and fill the bottle with that?

I did it at Magic Mountain back in Sept. no trouble at all. It takes a bit out of your

park touring, but if it's a hot day, best to know where they are.

Or alternate your Coke fix, with water. Easy!

I did it with my Knott's bottle although frankly, I wanted the bottle more than the soda refills, heh.

Thanks guys! Now I know I consume roughly 192 ounces of Coca Cola everytime I visit.

What is wrong with me.

That's over 22 ounces, by weight, of sugar. Well over a pound of the white stuff just from drinks alone.

Please, for your health's sake, drink more water.