TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kanonen fails!!

Breaking news, this happened just moments ago...

Kanonen have just done a fail that is the same as what TTD have done a few times now...

They have stalled it on the top hat

Apparently the 14 riders that is on it, are all OK and they are at the moment discussing what the best way to rescue them would be, push the train forward or backward or rescue the passengers from the train on top of the Top Hat...

Wonder if this will persuade them to increase the launch speed, FINALLY!!!!

Full article from GP (Gothenburg Post) can be found at: Clicky!! [swedish]

UPDATE!!!

They have pushed the train back to the station about an hour after it happened...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^Well they are all capable, some just more likely than others. I'm actually surprised that more haven't done this. Maybe they have it's just not as obvious or widespread as say TTD doing it since it's visible to, oh, everyone in the park.

I'm actually a little surprised they were even considering evacuating the riders while the train was perched on the top hat. I can just see something awful happening from the shift of weight. It's not like there's anything keeping the train from rolling one way or the other and throwing the exiting rider or riders to the ground.

I'm also a little surprised it took them an hour to decide what to do. Unless it took most of the time to get the basket in place since Kanonen doesn't have a catwalk up there, it's not hard to get up there and give the train a shove. Did they shut down the ride after this or just evac/relaunch the train once it got back to the station?

lol aftonbladet reported on this and they really show their professionalism once again

For the Swedish ppl:

"I åkattraktionen Kanonen skjuts tåget ut ur stationen likt en kanonkula och når sin toppfart på två sekunder, enligt Liseberg.

Stigningen sker i nästan 90 graders vinkel mot marken. Därefter är det 90 grader rakt ner igen följt av en puckel och sedan den loop där vagnen nu fastnat. "

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article5342657.ab

They seem to think it got stuck in the loop even tho the picture clearly shows its not.

How big a deal would it be to just install a friction drive tire and motor at the top of the top hat to deal with just such an occurrence? It could be made so that it's retractable and would only need to be engaged in the rare event of a train stall in that location. It seems like a far better option than dispatching emergency personnel to the top of a ride.

You said in the original post that it had happened many times on TTD, I am only aware of one stall on top? How many times has it happened on TTD?

About the friction wheels though, of all the thousands of launches that happen on the accelerator coasters daily the stall on top doesn't happen that much and I am not sure it is worth the hassle financially and mechanically to stop something that isn't to common. Still though, I wouldn't mind seeing that launch speed being picked up a little.

How much could a motor, drive tire, and necessary hardware/wires/controls cost? A few grand? Seems like cheap insurance. Sure, it doesn't happen often, but it obviously happens.

This would also have to lead up to maintenance. Mechanics would have to check that system everyday - make sure the tire is inflated, not worn down, oiled up, etc. Which means permanently having a lift at the base (ugly appearance) and Im sure the park needs the lift else where. Then the connections with the wire to the main computers - if that is even possible with that ride system.

It would just be easiest to increase speed. If that were to happen, the park would have to contact engineers, redo stress tests, and probably other random weird things to make sure it was safe. Which probably would happen in a month at least.

Once in four seasons isn't bad. Nothing will happen I bet.

The media here in Norway has been writing all sorts of silly stuff about this. They have been calling it another nasty incident and of course they mention the Rainbow accident in the same sentense. There was also one article where it said "No one was hurt in the sudden stop". Sudden stop, WTF??!!

^ Yeah, it was basically the same here, people are now so scared of Liseberg that they will never go there again, but driving a car is fine...

You said in the original post that it had happened many times on TTD, I am only aware of one stall on top? How many times has it happened on TTD?
Of what I can find then it have happened 3 times on TTD.

The simplest solution is to increase the launch speed somewhat, so that the train doesn't crawl over the top as it does now. Then the possibility of this ever happening again is brought down to a minimum...

^^Yeah TTD has stalled three times with people. The most recent was a couple weeks ago actually. I was in line for Millennium Force and watched it happen. I have a short, poorly shot, low quality video of it sitting at the top. It was interesting watching the three (I think) mechanics going up to the top to push it over. Later on I heard some employees saying they told everyone to move around to try to shift the weight, but apparently that wasn't enough to get it rolling again, so they pushed it over. It was actually good timing too since right after I got off Millennium Force, I went over to it just as it was reopening and got on in only a few minutes.

^I believe KK has some thingymajig on the top that prevents it from stalling.

They launch the trains on KK a bit faster than on the other accelerators, and then have a trim on the top to take away that extra speed.

They have done a close inspection on the train that stalled, but they didn't found anything wrong with it, sot it's back up and running...

I just guess that it took so long to push it back down, because they haven't had this problem before, next time it will be dealt with a lot faster. Unless they do something to prevent this from happening again, like speeding up the launch...

^I believe KK has some thingymajig on the top that prevents it from stalling.

They launch the trains on KK a bit faster than on the other accelerators, and then have a trim on the top to take away that extra speed.

They have done a close inspection on the train that stalled, but they didn't found anything wrong with it, sot it's back up and running...

I just guess that it took so long to push it back down, because they haven't had this problem before, next time it will be dealt with a lot faster. Unless they do something to prevent this from happening again, like speeding up the launch...

Yup, thats why its extremely rare for Kingda Ka to rollback with a load of passengers compared to other rockets