TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR's Scandinavia 2009 Trip!

That coaster looks so cool! I hope you were able to get some on ride footage of it!

I should have gone on the Scandi Trip!

Yeah I took a crap load of footage! Lots of HD POV's from this trip will be coming soon!

--Robb

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the ride, but it needs A LOT of work before we ever see another one. (Especially one in the US)

I'm pretty sure at least 3 out of our group got serious cuts on it, and I got a bad bruise and bump! The place for your legs is pretty much jagged metal, and yes, if you're tall and stupid you could probably get your arm(s) cut off.

It really looks like X's redheaded adopted stepchild gone horribly wrong. A fun ride for sure, but just seems like too much machinery for what it does.

Is it just me, or does the entire Scandinavia trip seem really amazing? There hasn't been a bad park of the bunch it seems. Every one looks at the very least clean, and there are some awesome coasters. Makes me really want to go there!

And its great that Tranan's concept worked, it looked interesting to me.

The first two times I rode Tranan, I was hanging on for dear life! You really do feel like you're gonna fly right out on those "inversions". Quite a fun little ride!

Did anyone else notice that one of those birds looks suspiciously like the dog from the Hundeprutte-Rutsjebanen at Bon Bon Land?

Besides what Elissa said, I found the seats to be uncomfortable and awkward.

There was no way to brace yourself coming into the brake run and I experienced many fellow trippers placing there hands on my back to stop their momentum. Not something that would go over well in the US amongst strangers. Also, some people had their right knee collide with the seatbelt mechanism of the seat in front of them.

Lastly capacity would be a huge problem at a larger park.

Regarding the cleanliness of the Scandi parks. With the exception of Norway most were litter free (Norwegian teens don't know what a trash can is). However, some restrooms were older and a little run down and dirty.

Skara was not the Zaragoza of the trip, that would be Grona Lund or Power Park.

I dunno about that. Think about it. Larger parks like Kings Dominion, Great America, Dorney Park, Kennywood, Hersheypark and even California Adventure have a standard Wild Mouse that seats four people per car. Most of those wild mice run 5 to 7 cars.

Tranan ran 4 cars with 8 people. Perhaps with more R&D its even capable of more?

If a larger park can sustain a wild mouse I see no reason why they can't have this coaster as well.

--Robb "Capacity might be a problem, just like with a Wild Mouse, but it wouldn't be a huge problem." Alvey

After riding Tranan a few times, and then asking around...

It took them what - 7 years before another dive coaster was ever produced, after Oblivion at Alton Towers? And of course, the ones that followed, were probably improved on (IMhO) for both styling, themeing, capacity and safety. Yes? No?

I think it's very possible that we won't have seen the last of this coaster. And for the meantime, it was a really cool coaster to ride! Keeping balance, and swinging around under (or over, depending) the track, having all the technical workings of each car (canoes?) literally beside each of us...

Great ride. Hope they do just that, improving and upping the possibilities with it.

It looked like those "Chocolate Donuts" were in arms reach! Some idiot could probably do some major damage to their hand in that pinch point!

That was the biggest issue I found with the ride. Seemed like if you were REAL dumb you could easily put your hands or arms in places they shouldn't be and OOPS!!! One less hand or arm on your body.

--Robb "Again, only if your REALLY dumb!" Alvey

That was the biggest issue I found with the ride. Seemed like if you were REAL dumb you could easily put your hands or arms in places they shouldn't be and OOPS!!! One less hand or arm on your body. Robb "Again, only if your REALLY dumb!" Alvey

You know someone is! Did you guys happen to take any picures of the inside of the "Canoe?" I see a seat belt, but I'm curious as to how high the seat is compared to the height on the edge of the canoe. I wouldn't mind seeing the floor space in there too!

Thanks

Cody "Wants to know all the details of the train" Davis

They could probably fit some kind of side mounted piece of metal that wouldn't effect the spring tension but would keep the idiots from going too far. That would keep everybody safe.

Man, these updates just keep getting better and better! The new coaster looks like a lot of fun, but I do agree about slight capacity issues. That would actually be just the right size to fit Wild Waves if they wanted to build something new. (FYI, Wild Waves is my local park, in case you didn't know.)

I dunno about that. Think about it. Larger parks like Kings Dominion, Great America, Dorney Park, Kennywood, Hersheypark and even California Adventure have a standard Wild Mouse that seats four people per car. Most of those wild mice run 5 to 7 cars.

Tranan ran 4 cars with 8 people. Perhaps with more R&D its even capable of more?

If a larger park can sustain a wild mouse I see no reason why they can't have this coaster as well.

--Robb "Capacity might be a problem, just like with a Wild Mouse, but it wouldn't be a huge problem." Alvey

Agreed, if R&D can get more cars running at one time it wouldn't be such a capacity issue. However, I just see how lines get for any new coaster (espacially a new type of coaster) at large US parks and while lines might die down in later years the lines will be unbearable the first year or two. Mice also have low capacity but also a small base that must ride them.

I liked the fact their was a "restraint lock" button, but it seemed the only restraint was a seat belt. Am I wrong? But that coaster does look messed up, I could see the US version having a huge cage over the tub to keep everyone inside.

This ride scared the hell out of me with its first turn off the lift. It moves in ways that no other coaster does and in very very surprising ways. I was not brave enough to flap my arms until the second go-around, and even then I grasped the siderails in alarm during several maneuvers.

I wonder if the ride is somewhat scarier for adults than it is children due to our higher center of gravities in relation to the train. For kids, the side rails are chest level or perhaps a bit lower. For adults, I seem to remember it being in line with your thighs (if not a tad lower) leaving your entire upper body without any "enclosure." I wonder if the heavier riders made the ride swing more.

At any rate, the ride was a ton of fun after a few rides. A complete surprise in a good way. I am fan of tranan though never expect another one.

The restraints are just seat belts, so you feel really open. There were a couple of elements (the last turn!) that were crazy and took a bit of nerve not to hold onto the rails for. If this coaster gets built again, I'd hope the seats would be a bit more substantial as any kind of lateral force throws you right off balance and can be a little painful if you're not prepared for it.

Overall this was a really fun ride, but it's got a little way to go before I think it can take off. I just got the sense that S&S still aren't quite there in terms of overall ride quality. Things like the sharp edges in the interior of the train, the obvious safety envelope flaws, the most primitive anti-rollback system that deafens everyone on the lifthill and the brakes that seemed to be on a mission to give someone whiplash. Compared to where Intamin are with hydraulic kicker motors and lift chains, double chains and EC brakes etc. it is quite apparent that they haven't built that many coasters and still haven't grasped the finer aspects of making a ride. That said I hope they improve and the ride is a success as it's such a refreshing change to the family ride market and I think it could be great for a lot of parks wanting to fill a wild mouse sized hole with something a little different.

They could probably fit some kind of side mounted piece of metal that wouldn't effect the spring tension but would keep the idiots from going too far. That would keep everybody safe.

What on earth are you talking about?

What a crazy ride. I personally really enjoyed it. Honestly, when the owners told us to flap our ‘wings’, it seemed easy enough. But seriously, with just a seat belt and the seatbacks being no taller than the side rails of the cars, I did not let go until at least the third or fourth ride. I think this is what TPDave is referring to. The jolt from one particular maneuver definitely made me grab back on lol

Leg room wasn’t bad but only because I I let my legs slide around the seat in front of me, which coincidentally Erik was sitting in. With one of the jolts, I had Erik on my leg. It hurt a ‘wee’ bit given that there was no padding on the other side of Erik and my leg. Totally my fault for sticking my legs so far forward but it was kind of funny.

Tranan sure is a fun and unique concept for a family ride. With a bit more refinement (I remember the owners telling us that S&S will be coming to work on the lift) it’ll be even better. It was pure eye candy to watch and a really bizarre and cool ride experience for sure.