TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hershey Park VS Pocono Race Day

For the people in the area who frequent HP, what are the crowds typically like on the same Sunday that NASCAR is at Pocono Raceway. Usually the race is sold out @ 150,000 people, so I would assume that would mean a lot less people in the park?? Can anyone verify this? Also, is it safe to think that from all the TR's I've been reading lately that attendance is already down anyway for most of the parks? I am not a patient person and standing in long lines, especially with kids, is not a real good thing for me..LMAO. Thanx to anyone who can be of service.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the people in the area who frequent HP, what are the crowds typically like on the same Sunday that NASCAR is at Pocono Raceway. Usually the race is sold out @ 150,000 people, so I would assume that would mean a lot less people in the park?? Can anyone verify this? Also, is it safe to think that from all the TR's I've been reading lately that attendance is already down anyway for most of the parks? I am not a patient person and standing in long lines, especially with kids, is not a real good thing for me..LMAO. Thanx to anyone who can be of service.

My dad went to a few Nascar races and he told me many hotels probably up to a 50 mile radius around the track are usually booked and guessing from this number it would put Hersheypark maybe 20 to 30 miles outside of this radius. My guess is the park might have a few more people than usually, but nothing causing the park to be extremely packed with 2 hour queue waits.

You will not find a hotel for under 250 within 25 miles of any NASCAR race. However, if this year is any indication, NASCAR attendee has been way down. Might not hurt to check hotels.

With park numbers, remember most people that go to the races starting Friday spend most of the time at the track. The one negative is it is a NASCAR only weekend, so people that would watch the truck or Nationwide series at the track may venture outside the track.

I've been to RIchmond International Raceway many times during race weekends (best way to spend a Saturday for me, going to KD for some coasters, then driving down 95 and watching some great racing at a great track.) But the crowds are pretty much exactly the same as any other day in my experiences. The races don't attract or take away any people from the parks. I'd suspect HP will be the same way.

Well Richmond has a much bigger demographic area than middle east PA, and Pocono being a little farther North than the NASCAR community usually goes, I was just banking on there being more "locals" interested in the track than the park. Anyway, anyone going to be at HP Sunday...

I don't think the races at Pocono have any influence on Hershey attendance, or any other park for that matter. Knoebel's is only 45 minutes from the track as opposed to 2-2.5 for Hershey, and I've never noticed any spikes in attendance when NASCAR came to Pocono.

Considering it's a weekend it'll likely be packed, race or no race.

Since you are going on a Sunday, I don't think it will be too packed except for a few certain rides, Fahrenheit, Storm Runner, Great Bear, Comet. Saturdays are much worse. Even those lines will probably be somewhere around 45-60 minutes. I've never seen a 2 hour line at Hershey even on a weekend.

Since you mentioned you will be with kids, the kiddie rides and flats shouldn't have too long of lines, maybe a cycle or two.

Even SDL and Lightning Racer should be close to walk-on.

One place that will definitely be packed with long lines is The Boardwalk. People flock to that area of the park.