TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Roller Coaster Concept

Hi folks,

I posted on here a few months back (before xmas) enquiring about your views on current roller coaster. I asked for help and to fill out my 13 point questionnaire.

Alot of you sent back replies and for that I am very grateful.

But I would like you to know I have now finished my degree at Coventry University and I have posted my finished animation on Youtube.

The link is...

'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShQBI36g1ck'

Please click the HD button to see it in all its glory. I look forward to your comments.

Regards,

Rick

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty cool concept! I think if the inversions were made slightly bigger if would be even better. Did you take physics in to consideration because some of the brake sections especially the cobra roll look extremely jerky. Besides that it seems like a great concept and I could picture B&M or Vekoma building somethhing like this.

Very futuristic by the way.

Awesome concept and amazing CGi, Very AIR related, which I like.

However there would be way too many G's on the outward facing loops, I believe this is the reason B&M and Vekoma haven't attempted an outwards loop yet on their flyers, love the idea of randomly falling on the lift, very fun!

While the train on the 4D coasters does face outward, theseats are spun so that the G forces are on the riders back and butt during the inversion.

Exellent concept if not a bit flawed, mostly for the extreme forces you would be placing on riders with some of those inversions, but it could be used very well and actually designed out to provide a comfotable yet thriling ride (I especially liked the helix with retracted the riders while flying close to a wall only to throw them out again as soon as clearence allowed.

This also reminds me of another concept for a coaster that used a second rail below the ride to lift, drop and tilt the coaster car while on the ride. Anyone else remember it? The Cantilevered Coaster.

Overall it looks pretty neat. G's look like they may be a little crazy in some places, and I imagine capacity may be an issue if such a ride were installed in a large park, as it looked like there were only 10 passengers per train.

Looks pretty fun, but the outward loop would probably hurt, and it seems like that if one of these were ever built that it'd be a maintenance nightmare, moving parts on coasters never seem to work amazingly *cough* X *cough* But overall the creativity is awesome

Looks like a cross between a Flying Dutchman and X2.

If it had a program that made the seats moving in and out in randomized order so each time you ride is different (out of a list of preset programs), it would not only be a 4 Dimentional coaster but a 5 Dimentional as the 5th dimention is possibility or something like that.

Randomization? An extra variable? But it would still be 4D wouldn't it? It takes away a variable from the current 4D, but adds the randomization/possibility.

This concept looks pretty amazing. The mechanisms within the car that allow the riders to randomly fall on the lift could be a problem if not designed correctly. Also, like most people have said, those G forces on the loops might be outrageous. Other than that, it's amazing.

Side 4D is just a title and marketing ploy - not 'scientifically accurate' you could call it a 7D coaster and be just fine.

This concept is really neat, I like it!

Even though you are correct, because your own center of gravity, weight, height, and all of that would affect the Gs and airtime. But just basically speaking of just the roller coaster's own physics, I interpret it as 4D.

^

I modeled it in Maya and Vue, animated it all in Maya, and composited it in Adobe Premiere.

As a concept, I think it's pretty good. The random dropping on the lift is cool, but the stairs may be in the way and ruin the illusion. As stated before, the g's are extreme, but I think the physics in the animation aren't the most accurate. Anyways, very cool looking.

The whole project from start to finish is meant to be just a concept, so can be a little OTT, however, I have also tried my best to make it as realistic as I could.

The problem is Im a designer first and foremost, the engineering and especially physics side of things takes a bit of back seat, hence maybe its a tad unrealistic.

The actual mechanism of moving the seats in and out is supposed to be quite random, hence keeping the riders on the edge a bit. It is also primarily controlled by ones inertia, so each rider gets a slightly different experience round bends etc... but ultimately controlled by computer which operates a very simple rack and pinion type mech.

Also the rider if he/she chooses, can request the seat isn't released at all, before they embark.

Another point which makes it unique is that it isn't actually a roller coaster to the truest sense off the word. I fully expect to get some frowns and slating from what comes next... But I believe future designs and the current industry can only be pushed forward by crazy concepts...

So this "roller coaster" actually uses MagLev technology in its arms instead of wheels.

But before I'm slated I'd like to point out that Magnets are already being used, in terms of LIM's and also magnetic brakes, but Iv taken it one step further by making the whole thing magnetic.... hence why the train is so big, and the seats are far away from the track, to protect the riders.

MagLev is also maintenance free because of no moving parts, and also doesn't generate friction with the track, so less energy is lost, so faster/further the train can go.

Coaster Sim. Fan - the animation was all done in Maya 2008 and 2009. The modeling was all done in Maya too, except the scenery which is credited to the amazing Vue.

paintballer - no RTC sounds in here my friend, theyr all real life recordings.

But im glad you all like it (to a degree) I really enjoyed making it but remember though, its just a concept

I have to agree with those who say it would probably not be built, and the forces at points would be too strong. But seeing as the main point seems to be a design project, I think you've done a great job on the concept, and the animation looks fantastic.

Thanks for posting the finished product here too, I think I remember filling out a survey which might have been yours a while ago.

I am not sure if what you plan to do after college. But with animation skills like that, animation might be a good fit for you.

Very interesting idea about the MagLev I am not sure how price efficient MagLev technology be at this time. But if they can get the price down (not sure exactly how expensive it is, but I have heard its pricy) I could see parks potentially using it in rides. It would have to give a smother ride, wont have to pay for wheel replacement, or other wheel related replacements (springs shock absorbers and so on), and less moving parts the less things that can go wrong.

If you enjoy modeling and animation (especially elated to rides) take a look at the theme park builder 3D project.