TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Closed on Sundays !!!!

My husband for many years had lived in Martinsburg, West Virginia ( a small town located some 70 miles west of Washington DC ). Earlier today we were doing some cleaning at my father-in-law's house only to find a July, 14th 1977 copy of the Martinsburg Evening Journal.

At the time the local Berkeley Plaza shopping center was sponsoring a carnival that was to run for two weeks however in 1977 from what the article said the town of Martinsburg had some law on their books at the time that said that with the exception of "entertainment for children", the adult rides and games were not allowed to operate on Sundays.

Of course over the years Martinsburg had changed this "law"but remembering those days of "local blue laws" ( Gee do I fell old now !! ) I have to wonder if there were other places around the country back in those days ( or even now if its still in the case in some places ) that had such things on the books that had affected amusement parks. Any examples you can think of?

I myself can remember back in the 70s and well into the 80's when Norfolk/Virginia Beach and pretty much that entire region had some strange law on the books that had banned the sale of clothes on Sundays but I don't think that included the sale, say T-shirts at Oceanview or even at BGE. Now over the years I have been told by a number of people that with Kings Dominion, thanks to Doswell's local blue laws back in the 70's there were some things that park could NOT do on Sundays. Of course I have heard different things like KD couldn't sell beer on Sundays to even some rides couldn't run. But I just don't remember Kings Dominion being any different on Sundays than they were during the other 6 days of the week.

...of course I was only a kid back then, like I would know at age 9 what the local liquor laws were back then LOL.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Generally speaking, most of the "not on Sunday" laws (closed restaurants, no liquor sales, etc.) were enacted by upstanding church members of the various communities to "keep the Sabbath holy," in accordance with the Ten Commandments. Even the Chick-fil-A restaurants here in California are closed on Sunday, even though little else is.

Everyone who observes the Sabbath, be it Saturday for Jews and Seventh Day Adventists, or Sunday like the rest of us, has their own way of observing it. For me personally, spending a relaxing day at a theme park is a good way to do so.

Eric

^ I believe the Chick-Fil-A founder was mormon & the stores being closed on Sundays is a Mormon thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

-Mr. Bebe

The founder Truett Cathy is a Southern Baptist and the Sunday closings is due to his relgious beliefs even though several years ago I can remember when Kohls Department Stores had questioned that by making some statement saying that Sundays is when fast food restaurants are usually dead in terms of business so that is why Chick-Fil-A is closed on Sundays.

of course how does Kohls really know about fast food anyway ( that would be like Kohls speaking for Six Flags ) and Kohls retracted from saying that statement.

A little history here...

God asks us to keep the Lord's Day Holy, which is the 7th day or Sunday. When God created the world, he rested on the 7th day... thats where that comes from, whether it's your belief or not, it is still evident today with how some people act.

There are actually several religions that ask this. Many family businesses have continued to adopt this and not open on Sundays including some car retailers and like you said above, Chick Fila.

A department store here, called Scottenstien's, is run by a Jewish family, and they would always be closed on Saturday... except around Christmas... ironically.

Some amusement parks still take Mondays and Tuesdays off from opening due to lower attendance those days.

However, with the way business is run nowadays, you basically have to be open 7 days a week.. but places still open late and close early on Sundays.

Around here, Chick-Fil-A is of course closed on Sundays, as is the arts & crafts chain store Hobby Lobby. We still have the blue law that says stores cannot sell packaged liquor on Sunday (Starting at 2:00 AM) but restaurants may still serve alcohol to patrons on Sunday.

Generally speaking, most of the "not on Sunday" laws (closed restaurants, no liquor sales, etc.) were enacted by upstanding church members of the various communities to "keep the Sabbath holy," in accordance with the Ten Commandments. Even the Chick-fil-A restaurants here in California are closed on Sunday, even though little else is.

Everyone who observes the Sabbath, be it Saturday for Jews and Seventh Day Adventists, or Sunday like the rest of us, has their own way of observing it. For me personally, spending a relaxing day at a theme park is a good way to do so.

Eric

Chick-fil-A is closed on sundays in New Jersey.

OK, we don't need input from every state on Chick Fil A, it is a corporate mandate that stores can not operate on Sunday.

Over the years Mr. Cathay has relaxed what was previously a religious overtone to his business rationale and now states that everyone should have one day free of work each week to spend with the family.

^ You find most of those laws in the Bible Belt of the U.S.---mostly in the South and Midwest.

Eric

Hmm. I did not know that. I read something like "Your not allowed to slurp soup on Sunday in Florida" but it also said "Extreme mountain unicycling is a real sport"

Chick-Fil-A is closed on Sunday in Pennsylvania.

Jay - I'm calling your post out as an epic fail. Sending me a PM with this vital information would have made it funny.

By the way, it will not be funny if you send me a PM now.

In Pennsylvania, car dealerships are also prohibited from being open on Sundays.

That's the same around here, although I heard that it was enacted so that people could 'window shop' for one day a week at car lots without being pestered. There are always a couple people walking around a car lot when you drive by it on Sundays.

Quebec (where I live) has a few interestings laws. Some exemples:

All stores close at 5 pm on weekends. Groceries can remain open, but after 8pm, go down to a maximum of 5 employees (FOR THE WHOLE STORE!).

All new cars dealerships are closed on weekends, unless they break off from their "union" and get ostracised.

No alcohol sales in stores from 11pm to 8am. Bars remain open until 3am.

No individual car insurances for injuries to other people. Your car insurance only cover the "metal". The provincial driving board collect an insurance fee from everyone who has a driver's license and covers all injuries involving cars, trucs, motorcycles. Nice benefits at least... 90% of your wages when off work, parkings and mileage paid when you go to doctor's appointments, etc.

Drinking age is 18.

Speed limit on the highways is either 70 km/h (40 mph) in the cities or 100 km/h (62 mph) everywhere else. Doesn't matter if the highway is in the middle of nowhere with no traffic, its still 62 mph!

While on the subject I thought you would find this interesting. There is a Kosher vending machine in circulation now that makes food 24/6. Thats right, the machine does not operate on Sundays:)

http://koshervendingindustries.com/

Chris.

Wow, I hope they epic fail, that's just retarded.

I personally think all those old "laws" now just act as a break from working and really have nothing to do with religion. Everyone I know hates the fact that everything closes early on Sundays, it really is pointless now-a-days. I'm all for the 24-7 operations like NYC, Vegas, etc.

On a side note, I've always wondered why they wrote "And on the seventh day God rested, thus shall be the sabbath day... blah blah blah". Seriously, if this "god" was supposed to be all knowing and powerful, why the hell would he need to take a day off? It doesn't make any sense (not that anything with religion does...).