TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cameras in the WATER??!!

I hope this fits into the regular Theme Parks, Roller Coasters & Donkeys! section. I debated this for a bit actually, and decided since this post is to take successful pics at the theme parks, I ended up here.

I am looking into underwater cameras. While I really want to take as many pics with my Nikon D40X to share with all you guys, I need to be realistic and know that I cannot take this into Aquatica, Wet N Wild, or on any of the water rides without the risk of killing it. I mean, imagine I go on Rip Saw Falls, and didn't know what I was getting myself into? So I want this camera to be able to go into the water. Not to really be submerged, but on occasion, I let it just linger on my arm and drag in the water in the lazy river. I ususally use those one time use things, that never seem to come out clear b/c there was some suntan lotion you didn't notice until 3/4 of the way through the film. I honestly do not want to be bothered with film cameras this trip either. I take way too many pictures for that! My goal is to have an uber successful PTR for you guys when I get back!

I really know nothing of the brands that are out there. But there are some cheaper ones, and some really expensive ones, I am hoping for your opinions. So this is where you all come in. I wanted to know what do you use? It is a month before my trip, I really do not want to spend too much, but I will be getting three or four one time use water cameras then, plus the developing. I am thinking that I can get something that is OK, without going overboard. Any advice? HELP!!

Thanks in advance.

[/i]

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9217251&st=waterproof+camera&type=product&id=1218060804479

"This camera is the best point and shoot camera I ever bought. The picture quality is awesome and very easy to use. The price is fair compare to other cameras. I just love it and more I use it more I like it."

It's $299, but it looks like it would be a nice underwater camera as well a a regular point and shoot.

Hope this helps!

^ I have the Olympus 6000 Tough, but I've never actually taken it underwater. In some ways, it's the weirdest camera I've ever owned, as it takes really good complicated shots, but struggles a bit with shots that I would describe as straightforward and easy.

Still, it's waterproof, can get banged around a little, fits easily in my pocket, and takes pretty decent photos. The shake reduction actually works, too.

Sometimes I do get jealous of Hanno and Jizz Man's super-clear close up photos...but there's just no way I'm going to carry a camera around that I can't put in my pocket when I want to hop on a ride.

While it isn't in production anymore, it isn't hard to find spare models online to buy (my family owns five right now), but the Pentax Optio S5i is the camera I would recommend as both a standard camera and, with the optional waterproof case, an excellent waterproof photography and videography option.

I have been using the camera itself for the last four and a half years to take all of my photos (and most of my video), including everything I've ever posted of mine to this site. It has a physical viewfinder, which most point and shoot cameras lack these days (and in the Florida sun, using a screen for lining up a shot isn't always easy) and has plenty of modes (including underwater photography and videography modes) that allows it to adapt to whatever setting you are in.

The camera itself is not waterproof, but there is a waterproof housing that is made for this model (and its predecessor), allowing for the use of every button on the camera while underwater. The case is also designed to allow a clear view of the digital screen (and viewfinder) through the case without any obstruction. The case is durable and has allowed me to take photographs in waterparks like Wet n' Wild and Aquatica while also giving me the ability to take photographs and video while I scuba dive, as it is waterproofed to 40 meters (131 ft).

Take a look and see if this is what you are looking for: http://www.scubascoop.co.uk/photography/pentax_optio_s5i_owp2_housing.php

The Panasonic DMCFT1 is an awesome rugged camera, its waterproof to 3 meters and also drop proof on a hard surface to 1.5 meters, it is essentially the same camera as the TZ7 which I used to take my latest Trip Report photos (Great Yarmouth TR) which is a great camera, PLayed around with the FT1 at a recent Panasonic Training evening and I have to say, it is great (and yes I got to drop it and take photos under the surface of a fish tank )

Cannot find the links to American websites, however it retails for approx £220 - £250 over here in the UK

Would seriously give it a look, it has a great lens and a nice 28mm wide angle for fitting in those larger rides up close!

^ I have wonderful experiences with DiCAPac, whether snorkeling, snowboarding or at the waterpark. The only caveat is if your camera has a wide angle lens (28mm), your photographs may include the black ring surrounding your retracting lens (eg, WP-300). A work around is zooming to approximately 36mm.

No problem with the shutter. You may have problems with scroll wheel and lever type zooms. You may want to install spacers for your camera to position the camera within the waterproof housing.

Another tip, use RainX or equivalent solution over the lens portion.

I use a Canon Powershot camera with the Canon underwater housing. The housing is a little bit expensive, but it works PERFECT and you still have full control and all feature control over the camera underwater. I've used it on water rides AND under the water in pools/ocean. It works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-WP-DC22-Waterproof-PowerShot-SD1100IS/dp/B0012ZASQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243762095&sr=8-1

Examples:

^ I have the Olympus 6000 Tough, but I've never actually taken it underwater. In some ways, it's the weirdest camera I've ever owned, as it takes really good complicated shots, but struggles a bit with shots that I would describe as straightforward and easy.

Still, it's waterproof, can get banged around a little, fits easily in my pocket, and takes pretty decent photos. The shake reduction actually works, too.

Sometimes I do get jealous of Hanno and Jizz Man's super-clear close up photos...but there's just no way I'm going to carry a camera around that I can't put in my pocket when I want to hop on a ride.

How functional is that "tap control" feature?

I have an Olympus 1030SW, which is not only waterproof to 10 m (so you can safely snorkel or do a shallow scuba dive with it), but shockproof to a drop of 2m, and can withstand pressure of 100 kg, should you wish to sit on it. In short, it's built like a little tank. I'm very happy with it so far. Downsides - not great in low light, some images just a tad soft, uses an olympus style card (but you can also use micro SD), and it doesn't have mechanical image stabilization, though the next generation does. Otherwise, really cool.

There's been another waterproof camera thread lately. I'll repeat that I have indeed used it under 6 feet of water, but I'll spare Erik that shot of my hairy underwater legs.

I actually started that other thread about the underwater cameras. I had decided at one point to get a slightly older 1030 from Olympus, but then decided upon the Tough 6000 series after reading through Erik's trip reports and seeing the quality of the photos...

After my usual indecisiveness, I purchased a Canon D10. The first time I took it out was to the lake. Within 2 minutes I had it underwater and was testing it out. I figured if it was going to not survive the water, I would kill it before I took it to parks this summer. It did survive, and I am quite impressed so far. There are a few quirks, such as its bulbous casing and lack of manual features, but most of the cameras in this segment have similar problems. Overall it is great in functionality for the pictures I will be taking. I'll try to upload some sample shots somewhat soon to let you see the picture quality I got...

I was also stoked to see I could adjust the shutter speeds from 15-1/1500 sec allowing me to get some nice night shots with motion blur...

Each of the waterproof cameras have their pros and cons... I recommend heading to the local Best Buy and trying them all out... Of course, I chose the only one I couldn't try out, but that is just my nature I guess...

uses an I like small boys in tights. card

Wow.

Hmmm...

Well, I happen to not like small boys in tights. And that phrase doesn't show up when I hit edit and look at what I originally wrote. However, it seems every time I submit the name of the Olympus-branded card, which is an X followed by a D, that phrase ends up on the boards. (Maybe because it sounds like X'ed? Can anyone else reproduce that, or is someone somewhere messing with me in particular?) Mods?

So here are a couple same shots from my Canon D10. I played around with a few settings and just snapped some pictures for the heck of it. This camera definitely does better outdoors than in, but seeing as this is where I plan on using it, that is good with me.... Hope your camera buying goes well!

IMG_0071.jpg.5de3f1cd33529846456d720b9b6e7fd9.jpg

And since this is TPR, I wanted a donkey shot. Unfortunately the nearest donkey is like a mile away, so this shot from Dodgeball is as close as I could get...

IMG_0093.jpg.8e5938d5b0439c1ba1dc723646101bf9.jpg

It doesn't compare to the hairy leg shot from the other thread about underwater cameras, but here is my "sup - your rock" sign. (Note: I was NOt in the tub when this was taken)

IMG_0085.jpg.0f3ca6dd0778ebe66f2ec26215856c8d.jpg

Long exposure out the bedroom window

IMG_0080.jpg.98a719df1019e917c1c726431565efa0.jpg

Again with the color accent

IMG_0079.jpg.39f3171531e01bdca764f0793f099d60.jpg

Out my bedroom window - this is with the "color accent" setting - kinda neat

IMG_0074.jpg.718967e2f1481e489d8a24671dd62553.jpg

Macro shot of a President - you can really zoom in on the dings in the coin on the high res

IMG_0028.jpg.afb01bdbd7e9549b3d1e2be377688d5f.jpg

Picture from water level in the lake