TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mark Shapiro Visits SFGAm

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ SF is trying to recover from their debt. And obviously they looked at the cost and decided that 25 or 15 dollars is how much they need to charge to make a profit. No matter what the cost is, I am sure that someone will complain. You can't please everyone.

The fact that they have seen an increase in attendance means that the majority of the population doesn't care about the price of parking.

I am glad to see that SF is really trying to turn things around and it is showing. They aren't the big bad wolf that everyone keeps making them out to be. Disney charges A LOT for everything. Why doesn't anyone complain about Disney prices.

Six Flags Great America -

One day Admission - $34.99

Parking - $15

Total cost - $49.99

Six Flags Over Georgia

One day Admission - $29.99

Parking - $15

Total cost - $44.99

Six Flags Magic Mountain

One day Admission - $59.99

Parking - $15

Total cost - $74.99

Six Flags Over Texas

One day Admission - $31.00

Parking - $15

Total cost - $46

Six Flags Great Adventure

One day Admission - $39.99

Parking - $15

Total cost - $54.99

Busch Gardens Williamsburg

One day Admission - $59.99

Parking - $12

Total cost - $71.99

Kennywood

One day Admission - $33.99

Parking - $6

Total cost - $39.99

Hersheypark

One day Admission - $51.99

Parking - $10

Total cost - $61.99

Islands of Adventure

One day Admission - $73.00

Parking - $12

Total cost - $85

Cedar Point

One day Admission - $43.99

Parking - $10

Total cost - $53.99

Dorney Park

One day Admission - $36.99

Parking - $10.00

Total cost - $46.00

Can someone please explain to me how Six Flags Great America is a bad deal? Seems to me admission and parking is on par with the average cost of most parks out there.

--Robb

The park wants to make $$$ of games, then charge you for winning an item. This holds even more true with the giant items you win. I saw a kid tonight win a giant bouncy ball and then is told "sorry, you can not ride with this." So the kids gives Six Flags money for a crappy prize, then they give him the giant middle finger.

From what I understand is that you can tell them to hold the price and pick it up at customer relations(or flags store) at the end of the day and that service is FREEEEEE

I give him a HELL of a lot of credit and when I read stuff like that, I actually believe the company may pull themselves out of debt.

While in the grand scheme of things the extra cash wont raise $2.5 billion, the extra profitability of the chain and the impressive turnaround Shapiro & Co. have overseen makes a successful debt/equity deal seem very possible. It'd be nice to see the chain healthy again and free from the shadow of failed former management...

1. How in the world did a one page thread turn into 5 pages of discussion about medicine and goo filled bunnies?

2. How did this turn into a 5 page discussion about why SF sucks?

If CF and Busch were the first companies to implement this apparently unpopular policy, then I'm gonna say that I despise CF and Busch for implementing these policies. Those chains will never be seeing my money anytime soon because of their horrible locker policies.

The parking policies seem very reasonable as well as the season pass prices. In fact, according to Robb, the admission and parking are much more reasonable than the Busch and CF parks.

Shapiro and Co. are trying their hardest to get the chain out of debt and the best all you picky enthusiasts can do is bash the chain. They've upgraded or removed old rides, improved customer service, and turned themselves around within the past few years now. Its been said many times before, but I'm gonna emphasize the fact that SF is becoming the CF of 1999-2005 and CF is becoming the SF of 1999-2005.

I thought that CF was the new company to hate...

PLEASE! What is this fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo?

I don't get the terminology, what does it mean?

I dunno if its my ADD kicking in (or its the fact that he is referring to the locker system which I dont use), but I read the article a few times and I dont see what/where that definition came from.

"Six flags is a Disney experience with a lower price,"

LMAO!!!

This is almost as good as Kings Dominion saying they are better than Disney.

Sorry Six Flags, you are a cheaper alternative to Disney but you DO NOT offer the same experience that Disney dose. Not even close.

PLEASE! What is this fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo?

I don't get the terminology, what does it mean?

I dunno if its my ADD kicking in (or its the fact that he is referring to the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo system which I dont use), but I read the article a few times and I dont see what/where that definition came from.

Its a reference to possible games prizes too big to fit in the... forbidden L-word!

... I think

EDIT:

I forgot to reply to this argument....

I personally only wish for them to open their eyes and see what it would take to increase attendance and make more money to save the company.

They already have...

I mean do they seriously think they are going to get a "Disney" image by adding a $5 million water battle ride? Although Salvation is a step closer the reality is that they can't pull it off by simply building new rides and claiming that security has improved.

Adding nicely themed family friendly rides like TS and Bucceneer Battle isn't really setting a "Disney" image for Disney-style quality (that would be waay too hard), but it is for decently themed family friendly rides.

I've said it before, the biggest thing keeping families from going to Six Flags are the amount of trouble-makers.

Last time I checked, there have been fewer troublemakers at SF. On top of adding Thomas Town/Wiggles World as well as coasters and rides that the whole family can enjoy like Tony Hawk, EK, and Terminator SF is really trying their hardest to improve their formerly tattered image.

Although those comments are from the GP, it is the GP that will ultimately decide the company's fate. If they don't pull off the family image thing, I predict that the company will fail. And personally, I feel that it could possibly be out of their hands. But last year, as I waited in 2 hour queues for Superman ROS and Batwing at SFA and stood there as 10 different groups of city kids pushed past me and a security guard stood there and watched this activity occur, I couldn't help but place blame on the park management and ultimately the company itself, resulting in a grudge that lasts to this day. This grudge exists among many other former SF-goers outside the "GP".

Ummm... Just because you had a bad day at what is considered the worst run SF park doesn't mean you have to bash the entire chain. Those members of the GP probably haven't been to any of the other, better run, SF parks recently to see the positive changes going on. Chances are the last time they went to SF was in 1999-2005 when the chain was the butt-end of the amusement industry. The parks are cleaner, the rides are better maintained, and the staff is friendlier than ever...

Oh, and also how many times have you heard "nickle and dime you" from the GP regarding Six Flags? It's because the reality is you can get a better park experience from many other parks for the same price or cheaper, and some of those parks really are Disney quality (Busch anyone?)
All parks will overcharge for food and merchandise. That's why I always bring food from home and take home brochures and maps as souvenirs. That way, you save money when visiting theme parks. I know at BGW, they charge $6 for cheap dollar store toys and candy that you can get outside the park for half the cost.

This entire thread is proof that Six Flags is very much going in the right direction.

With this kind of momentum going, if the debt pressure ever actually gets lifted, look out.

Yeah.... Sorry, but Freestyle Music Park will be around longer than Six Flags.

/Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

It always surprises me how quickly people are to bash Six Flags and put them down. I think many people forgot how big Six Flags is. Being the biggest operator of amusement parks in the country and possibly the world, change takes many, many years. You cannot change your image overnight and you cannot one night just decide to make a profit. The direction they are going is the correct one and as Shapiro has said multiple times, the park operations are not the problem, the debt load his team inherited is.

Imagine how horrible for the industry it would be if all the six flags parks just disappeared (not bought out by anyone else, just gone). Competition would go down and we'd have less coasters to ride.

Alas, but the almighty Cedar Fair fanboys and Six Flags bashers will rejoice at the downfall of the once mighty Six Flags chain.

The great battles between the L-word and heavy taxing policies and of parks will finally end.

The stories of horrible SF experiences will finally be laid to rest.

The many tears over the loss of rides like Tatsu, Bizarro North, and El Toro would fill many raging rivers though.

But enthusiasts and fat ACErs will still flock to and praise the land of concrete, trash cans, and horrible rain policies.

and all will be good once again...

It always surprises me how quickly people are to bash Six Flags and put them down.

Why? They may be the biggest chain, but they're also the most inept--as they've proven time and again.

The direction they are going is the correct one and as Shapiro has said multiple times, the park operations is not the problem, the debt load his team inherited is.

Yes, I've heard this one before: Six Flags is not responsible for their own problems. This is usually followed by: "Considering the financial mess they're in, they really have no choice but to...blah blah blah."

The fact is, Six Flags parks continue to be run like, well, Six Flags parks. The big improvements often cited are usually things they intend to do, with very little actual change in the parks themselves.

I guess you could call me a Six Flags hater, but I didn't start out that way. They've made me doubt them, and when they impress me again, I'll be impressed.

No, I don't want them to fail. I'd love for them to be fun places to visit again. But at this point, to be honest, I'd barely notice if they were gone.

On the other hand, if you're into what they offer: Awesome. Go, have a great time. Spend some money. They need it.

But let's face it: If Six Flags were solvent, they'd just buy everything in sight and build more big coasters, while ignoring everything else, until they were in debt again.

/It's okay to disagree with me. I do that sometimes myself.

^ It's actually not that hard to figure out. If you read through the thread and figure out which SF policies enthusiasts tend to bash, you'll find it.

The fact is, Six Flags parks continue to be run like, well, Six Flags parks. The big improvements often cited are usually things they intend to do, with very little actual change in the parks themselves.

Ah, so the rehabilitation of the many aging thrill machines, the addition of the family friendly attractions, and the improvement in courtesy and hospitality are merely an illusion created by Shapiro to brainwash some enthusiasts into thinking SF is improving...

And Shapiro is trying to brainwash the same enthusiasts into thinking that CF is declining in quality by creating images of Knott's losing its charm, trash can filled midways, and huge coasters over concrete.

But the CF fanboys and SF bashers are much stronger than that. Combined with the grudges of the highly unsatisfied GP, this army will defeat the aging, poorly run, monster that is Six Flags.

And the very fluffy, overmedicated, goo-filled bunny policies, overpriced merchandise, and parking prices will all be fair again...

We will always have something negative to say about SF parks, and all other parks in general. They will never be run the way we want them to be.

Yes SFGAM is my home park, and I do have a pass. Yes I think the prices are ridiculous. I remember it costing around $100 for 4 season passes and parking for 2 cars. However things change and that includes theme parks. Am I going to stop going to GA? No. It's something to do during the summer. Season pass prices have dropped in the last few years. I plan on going to other SF parks so the pass will come in handy. Do I think paying $1 for a locker is crazy? Not really. Like Robb said, it does speed up the line.

I would love to see SF drop prices for food, season passes, merchandise and everything else. If they did that, it would be more affordable for families, however it could cost SF too. It may cost a lot of money for that case of hot dogs, and if they sell them cheap, they might not make any money. Afterall that is what they are trying to do.

I really don't understand why people complain about lockers and food prices.

1. Leave carry-ons in the car. Money, cell phones, and some cameras can all fit in pockets. If you bring a larger camera or sports bottle, that is your choice, and you deserve to have to pay to rent a locker. After you win a prize, run out to your car, put the prize in the car, and re-enter the park. It isn't that hard.

2. Yes, food prices are expensive, but you can bring your own food. Instead of buying a meal inside the park, pack your meals, and come out to the car to eat them. Amusements parks are also usually surrounded by restaurants, so even if you don't pack a lunch, you still have many other options on where to eat. Drinks and snacks are the only exception though. There are drinking fountains, so you don't have to buy a soda, and snacks don't have to be bought.

Also, if you really don't like Six Flags and refuse to give it another chance, then don't go. One less person in line in front of me.

Ah, so the rehabilitation of the many aging thrill machines, the addition of the family friendly attractions, and the improvement in courtesy and hospitality are merely an illusion created by Shapiro to brainwash some enthusiasts into thinking SF is improving...

Okay, I'll grant some of that. Friendliness of employees is definitely up, based on my most recent experiences. As for "rehabilitation," I guess the whole Bizarro thing is okay. But wouldn't fixing up a ride that Six Flags had previously butchered--like, say, Revolution or Colossus--have been better than trying to improve a ride that was already good?

Still, you raise some good points. And my previous post was a bit harsh, upon rereading it.

Nevertheless, Six Flags still largely ignores their most serious weaknesses: Operations (running 1-train with a line, too few ride ops checking trains, etc.), and the lack of decent attractions that everyone can enjoy (a kids ride that adults can go on is not the same as a family attraction). And adding things like The Dark Knight just shows how little their focus has changed: "Hey, everybody, we're different now! Here's another coaster!"

And Shapiro is trying to brainwash the same enthusiasts into thinking that CF is declining in quality by creating images of Knott's losing its charm, trash can filled midways, and huge coasters over concrete.

I wasn't comparing them to Cedar Fair--which in my view, is largely similar.

I can assure you that you have no idea the depth of my disgust at what Cedar Fair has done to Knott's.

/Far from a Cedar Fair fanboy.

//Busch, maybe.