TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I have been working on a wooden coaster for sometime...trying to tweek it and make it as smooth as possible since I cannot learn how to use tools...well here are some shots of it. What makes this wooden coaster unique is that it has a vertical drop and some extremely banked turns, including a 90degree banking on one turn.

I know the g's get kinda high in the back on the vertical drop but special restraints will be design to work with that lol lol. The coaster is basically an out-and-back coaster then turns into a kinda twister layout. Here are some progress shots and a progress video!

And please, before anyone goes shooting off (insert comapny) would never do this and that...blah blah blah, remember this is a creation from my mind and not from the handbooks of any coaster comapny...

Enjoy...

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=vertical_b6lg[/coastertube]

verticalwoody-02.JPG.bd37c6d0b648fa800f8f9163f8d7ca47.JPG

verticalwoody-01.JPG.46a21b15d7bee755a8745e08838b3863.JPG

highly banked turn

vertical-02.JPG.e409519cce638c9e894230d04012f11f.JPG

vertical-01.JPG.7b335c3f8bce10c1b7d8ef3cf3f28ece.JPG

the first drop...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the bankings are fine according to g-forces( never realyl go above .05+/-). And again, I must stress, this is MY creation so there is no standards for "shaping" of hills. Every air time hill in reality are not the same shape so why should I try to mimic what has been done...

But thanks for the feedback!

you are wrong. You are judging this based off a video. The curvature is synomous on both sides of the hills on each hill...each node as the exact same height and the swecond end node on the first node is the same height as the first end node of the second node...

here is the very first hill...

verthill.nltrack

*ignores the argument currently occurring*

I think it looks great so far! However, the second turn on the ride is a little too banked if you ask me. By the way, to everyone that makes these hybrid coasters, is there any easy way to make the supports, or do you generate the wooden supports, go back, and replace all of the wood with steel beams by hand?

^ You simple auto-generate the main body of supports by themselves, select all, recolour and change the support type and auto-generate the catwalks and such with the enable supports box un-ticked.

Alright, thanks! I've been wondering how to do that for a while now!

As for the supports: you can do what everyone does and use the crappy Wood Magic generated supports which completely suck and are totally unrealistic, or you can do what a handful of us do and actually make the supports look like the real deal, and support the coaster much the same was as many coasters are. Also, to transform the steel beams, you need to do it this way:

Get your wooden supports in (not with handrails, or catwalks), then right click on the editr, and then select all. You can do two things now: 1. click on the L shapped beam, and then go to the Supports Tab, and down to Transform Selected Beamns, or 2. Push Z on your keyboard, then click the L shapped beam dot. Then click out. Viola! A ton of pink supports that can now be modified/edited.

Now, all you have to do is go to the wood magic generator, check the Generate Final dot, then uncheck the Clear Previous Structure box, then uncheck the Enable Supports box, then click OK. It should now generate your catwalks/handsrails, which now can be transformed into real sized catwalks/handrail supports

They wouldn't really have to substitute the track for steel on a vertical drop. Vertical drops have literally zero force acting upon them, because the train is in freefall, which is why you see less supports on sections like that on steel coasters (but steel is stronger than wood..).

They wouldn't really have to substitute the track for steel on a vertical drop. Vertical drops have literally zero force acting upon them, because the train is in freefall, which is why you see less supports on sections like that on steel coasters (but steel is stronger than wood..).

The only thing is, there is not much of the drop where the train is in actual freefall. There is a lot of force being exerted on it when the last car rips over the top of the drop and in the pullout.

^Vertical turns go under MUCH less stress than a vertical drop would. Just because their both vertical doesn't mean they'd go under the same stresses.

you have a several thousand pound train forcing energy on the vertical turn causing more stress than a vertical drop. Think of a vertical turn as the bottom of a hill when the train wants to keep going down but forced to level out. Whereas a vertical drop, even the last car, would want to go up and away from the track therefore causing less stress...just like an airtime hill...

yes there is force when the train rips over the top but its not force driving in the track but negative force going away from the track...