TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is it about Kingda Ka?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope they get it open son because it's starting rumors amongst the GP. Even down here I've heard some of my coworkers say that they are tearing it down, and it takes forever to convince them otherwise.

Yea, they're tearing it down because it over launched and the train derailed while going up and flew several thousand feet into the air before landing several miles away killing everyone on board.

That was heard from someone who was dead serious at the park on the 17th.

Gah I dislike the GP for being so incredibly stupid.

Yea, they're tearing it down because it over launched and the train derailed while going up and flew several thousand feet into the air before landing several miles away killing everyone on board.

That was heard from someone who was dead serious at the park on the 17th.

Gah I dislike the GP for being so incredibly stupid.

The funny thing is that I doubt it could fly much higher into the air than about 450 feet even if it did derail which is impossible anyway, haha. I really hope they do get it back up in August. "People talking" is never a good thing and Six Flags doesn't need more issues like this to hurt their image.

The ride is expected to be up before the end of the month. That is per guest services yesterday. It is also as if the park is not ignoring this situation. Signs are all over from the parking booth, main entrance, each ticket booth, fountain, as you walk towards the ride, etc.

Crap happens and it is a shame. I have heard Millie being down for close to a month at a time twice. Intamin, while making exciting rides, is a company people should think twice about since their technology is definately iffy (IMHO).

^Intamin's technology usually does work, and at least they try new things, B&M is way too conservative, they're a park's greatest dream to own, but lack the balls that a coaster nerd wants!!! (usually)

Intamin goes out and tries new stuff, and when you use unproven, experimental systems, you're bound to get some decent down time.

^It's because B&M rarely ever goes out of their comfort zone and they know what they're doing, which is a genius idea from a business standpoint. Intamin had a major screw up with the Tbars, but it's their launching rides that get the most downtime. Launches are highly complicated so you should expect downtime with it. And B&M has had problems with their chain lifts breaking, although I'm not sure quite who to blame for that one. But as I stated, B&M stays away from complex machinery and quick layouts (like Mavericks) which keeps their downtime on the down low.

This is turning into a B&M v Intamin thread haha, but I will counter your statement by saying, "At what price?" B&M never really tries anything crazy in their rides to keep them reliable, which is great for keeping down time at bay, but really can't give you the "Holy crap what's coming next?" experience that a coaster should do. Their hypers mainly just go up and down now rarely switching things up, and their looping coasters just go: drop, inversion, inversion, inversion, inversion etc. There are no quick changes of direction or changes to the pacing of the ride (except for the obligatory helices found on most of their loopers).

Now compare that to Intamin, lets say...Maverick. Maverick= a crazy ass drop, super fast turns with lightning quick transitions, some inversions which everyone seems to like, and then a launch that seems to come out of no where. Plus stengel dives which I hear are nucking futs. Of course that eats reliability due to the extra stress put on the trains and the complexity of the launch.

So as I have stated about 5 times in this thread

B&M is a park's greatest dream to own, but Intamin always wins with creative layouts.

And to get this thread back on topic:

God I sure hope they get this thing up and running already

^I never rode Nitro in the back, only the front. As for El Toro, I rode both in the front and back. Personally, I preferred the front. The view is awesome, and I, for some reason, didn't find much g-force difference from front to back. Back on topic, I was lucky when I went on May 31. They did the quick (and very temporary) fix on KK, and I got that credit in before it broke down again. Nowhere near as good as Top Thrill Dragster, but it feels good to be able to say I've been on the tallest and (until Ring Racer opens) fastest in the world!

-Doug