TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is it about Kingda Ka?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to hear. I was at Hershey today in the evening and did all credits in 4 hours. Storm Runner was running after a breakdown.

So, before I will drive to Kennywood, I will drive back to SFGA tomorrow to ride Kingda Ka. I hope it will be open.

After i take this credit I will drive to Kennywood, as far as I can, then sleep somewhere and visit Kennywood on Tuesday.

• 4 weeks later...

Park News - (6/19/09) While the park put in for the quick and dirty fix to get Kingda Ka back up and running as soon as possible, the results are said to have been less than spectacular. So far the reliability of the fix has been very inconsistent, where it has a good day here and there where it runs flawlessly and then suddenly the next morning it’s dead as a doorbell first thing in the morning. They scratch their heads, throw rocks at it, call it bad names and nothing works to fix it until like magic, it suddenly decides it wants to work again.

From what I’ve heard the problems with the ride are numerous... starting with some major mechanical issues with some of the launch system’s gears. The lightning blast also fried lots of the sensors and sections of the electrical system that really needs a complete overhaul now. I’ve also heard that the weather has been playing problems for them too, as for some reason there seems to be quite a bit of extra static electricity in the air this year that is causing some havoc with the damaged systems.

As for the current status... I’ve been told that currently Kingda Ka has been closed since Monday and it is impossible to even guess when it may be up and running again. Could be today... could be next week or even longer. Stay tuned...

At the beginning of the month when I was there, it was running about 50% of the time, and they held each train on the launch track for about 30 seconds so that maintenance people could inspect the train. It's a bit disconcerting to be sitting there about to launch while maintenance people are crawling under the train.

Kingda Ka was closed for a week. It reopened for two days. And now they're saying it'll be down for three weeks! I have no idea what's going on, and I'm avoiding asking. But from what I've seen, I've seen a crane by the hydraulic house, and cables on the ground....

Well as of the 4th of July the ride is still closed but wikipedia stated park officials said the ride should be up and running in about a week so that gives us a decent time range. I personally think the ride wil be open later then a week.

I wonder when the park will decide enough is enough with this ride?

Ka being down doesn't bother me at all really because when I'm there, I usually only ride Nitro. Ka being open does help though, as it keeps lots of people waiting in line for a real long period of time

This wasn't a cheap investment, so I wouldn't imagine SFGAv has had enough especially with it only have been open since 05. Perhaps if it was Intamins doing, which I guess it partly is, they would not be so tolerant but the fact that it was lightning that did her in (for now) I am sure doesn't make them want to pull the plug. That is my two cents at least.