TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is it about Kingda Ka?

Yea I'd imagine intamin wouldn't keep a stock of expensive parts, or even parts that are not common to break. Now granted I don't know what has failed on any of these rides but I could see intamin manufacturing certain parts of coasters on an as needed basis, which would obviously delay the repair considerbly.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been down all the days I've been to GADV this year. I kind of have the impression that they've gotten tired of having to repair it in a hurry for the past 4 years, so now they just procrastinate on fixing it.

But anyway if your going to Cedar Point I wouldn’t worry to much on missing KK, Because TTD is essentially the same basic experience, only smoother and with lap bars.

I agree, there are other rides better than KK at the park but the problem is that since it is the most popular rides it makes all the other lines longer.

Last Tuesday in the middle of the day Nitro looked to have close to a 40 minute wait, Batman around 30 minutes, Superman 90 minutes (1 train running) partially because KK and Bizarro (not open yet at the time) were closed. On that same week last year, everything except Superman was a walk on. I hope it opens soon if only to make other lines shorter.

I agree, there are other rides better than KK at the park but the problem is that since it is the most popular rides it makes all the other lines longer.

Last Tuesday in the middle of the day Nitro looked to have close to a 40 minute wait, Batman around 30 minutes, Superman 90 minutes (1 train running) partially because KK and Bizarro (not open yet at the time) were closed. On that same week last year, everything except Superman was a walk on. I hope it opens soon if only to make other lines shorter.

I always buy a gold flash pass when I go to make the most out of the day since I only get to go one or twice a year.

Usually its about a 10-20 min wait, and that wait is usually gone since its being depleted as I'm riding another ride =P. And this is on a weekend in the middle of the summer.

One of the problems with Kingda Ka is that for such a thrill ride a 2 hour wait =/= the 20 second ride. But when you can queue yourself up for the ride when standing in the turnstile for it, then to get off the ride and wait 5 min to hop on again makes the ride much more fun.

Same goes for all the rides though

Just a random thought here...but with Kingda Ka SBNO for the time being, can we re-declare TTD as the tallest and fastest (currently operating) coaster in the world?

Chalk one up for the CP fanboys

^ But didn't TTD have to close when it stalled on the top hat again? Which would make STE the tallest, fastest coaster in the world.

Not really a rumor, and not big enough to warrant creation of a whole new topic, and this thread seems ok to post it...TTD got stuck ta the top again.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/fun/blog/index.cfm

EDIT: Here it is posted in the Rumor Superthread.

Just a random thought here...but with Kingda Ka SBNO for the time being, can we re-declare TTD as the tallest and fastest (currently operating) coaster in the world?

Chalk one up for the CP fanboys

The only time I would say TTD was the tallest and fastest coaster again would be if Six Flags closed KK just because they felt like it, not for mechanical reasons. So in my opinion KK is still the tallest and fastest coaster.

It has been closed to probably save costs. It's not because it is broken. Same with Music Express and Bumper Cars in Old Country and Tango. It is very fusturating to have those rides all SBNO after so many rides have already been removed.

Lightning is crazy, you can't always fool it with a lightning rod!

On the midwest trip lightning struck the Timber Falls coaster which is tiny compared to everything else within like a mile!

But thank you to those awesome park officials for getting it up and running for us!

I must admit, I was a little nervous about manual operations, but they knew what they were doing.

^Good question.

We were in the Nitro station sometime between 12-1PM when the Nitro ride ops announced that Kingda Ka was running. We had no desire to ride KK, so we kept riding Nitro til 2 PM. They were running 3 trains without stacking and no waiting until the time we left Ntiro at 2PM.

I assume people were on KK today , but could only see the ride running (noty passengers) from that distance. I assume passengers were on or the ride ops would not have made the announcement.

When we finally hit the other side of the park between 3-4PM, KK was no longer running.

Maybe CycloneMan can elaborate when he returns from the park later tonight. I think he said he would be there until close.

We got to SFGAdv around 3pm and Ka was NOT operating.

We went toward El Toro. On our way there we saw an empty El Toro train. We got to the line an about 30 people or so were lined up waiting for the queue to be opened. It opened and we went in. After ONE train ran the course, some people weren't released from the train and it shut down again. We waited in the station for a good 30min.

While in line we noticed Kinda Ka cycling. WITH people in it.

El Toro re-opened. We got a ride in row 3 right away and came back around for a ride in the very back with no wait before the queue began to fill up.

We went to Ka. 1 hour wait from the 2 hour mark and we saw 1 rollback. But otherwise, it was fully operational with three trains and feeling very rough (Our first ever ride on Kinda Ka) in the very back.

See more Trip Reports from our Theme Park Tour: Part Deux by clicking the banner below (we are several days behind, so keep checking back!)

-The Bebes

^Whew! I guess I was lucky. I was on that first El Toro train after the breakdown, and didn't realize it went down again. I guess that is why the queue filled up so quickly.

Glad you got on KK, but yes the back is NOT smooth.

I was so lucky I can't believe it. Today I got to the park at 11:00 and went directly to KK when I saw it testing, then literally less than a minuet after standing by the entrance they opened up and I got on the first train of the day! Then I rode it two times after that, without waiting! Of course after I got in line for my fourth ride it broke and didn’t open until 4-ish…

KK looked like it was running around 5:30 today. The line was really long though, as was El Toro's.

I don't know how often they update the board in front of the park, but when I left shortly after 6, KK, ET and Superman were all listed as being closed. Superman definitely looked like it wasn't running at that point.