TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Red Bull Cola banned for containing cocaine!

Red Bull Cola banned for containing cocaine!

Authorities in the German states of Hesse and North-Rhine Westphalia have ordered retailers to stop selling Red Bull Cola after they found traces of cocaine in the popular energy drink.

The consumer ministries in the two states confirmed on Friday they had ordered retailers to pull the drink off their shelves after a food safety institute in North-Rhine Westphalia found cocaine in samples of the beverage.

“The institute examined Red Bull Cola in an elaborate chemical process and found traces of cocaine,” Bernhard Kühnle, head of the food safety department at the federal ministry for consumer protection said.

Authorities said the cocaine levels do not pose a health threat but are not permitted in foodstuffs.

The Frankfurter Neuen Presse reported that the investigation was prompted by the use of a de-cocainized extract of coca leaf used in the drink. That means the drink cannot be classified as a foodstuff but as a narcotic and needs a special license, authorities said.

The newspaper reported that German retail group Rewe had already issued orders to remove the fizzy drink from its shops. Wilhelm Deitermann, spokesman for the North-Rhine Westphalia consumer ministry said he expected other German states to follow suit and ban the drink.

But Red Bull Cola has protested the action. “De-cocainized extract of coca leaf is used worldwide in foods as a natural flavouring,” the paper quoted the company saying. The company added that Red Bull Cola as well as other food that contains coca leaf extract is considered safe in the EU as well as in the US.

Red Bull has been dubbed the "clubbers' drink," and is often mixed with vodka. It contains caffeine, vitamins, and sugar which, the company claims, kick-starts the body's metabolism and keeps people alert.

Link: www.thelocal.de/national/20090523-19457.html

Great job. Where should I get my daily legal cocaine dose from, when this is banned from the shelves? But seriously this is really bad news for the Red Bull Company. I am looking forward to their response.

What do you guys think about it?

--Soren

1771355077_432(600x366).jpg.cb3e2ee39af6e5a4106d58992b58842e.jpg

Red Bull Cola (Red Bull´s Coke)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a just a tad on the overeactive side, that's like banning Coke in the US because it has a "small" trace of the same stuff. There is cocaine in Coke, but the amount is so small like the Red Bull Cola drink that it doesn't effect you at all.

Do whatever pleases you, but this is just unnecessary.

Coca Cola today doesn’t have cocaine in it anymore.

Coke started phasing out the use of cocaine around 1903-1904 when they decided to use spent cocaine leaves which had most traces of cocaine removed. It wasn’t completely phased out until the late-1920s.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/384/is-it-true-coca-cola-once-contained-cocaine

If only it was banned in the US. Red Bull Cola is absolutely disgusting.

It's not that bad, once you get used to it.

Hmmm...didn't care for Red Bull and if I have to get used to it, it doesn't sound like I'm missing too much, although a part of me still wants to try it.

The power of suggestion is a funny thing eh?

The cola is beyond awful. I remember going to Red Bull Flutog in Chicago last year. It was the only drink on grounds cheaper then 3 bucks (cost $1.50) so I got one. I to a grand total of 2 sips and into the trash it went. I was not even close to the only person to do the same.

Geeez I couldn't even imagine how awful that would taste. Red bull and cola are two things that should never be mixed! And why would you even want to get used to it? If fecal matter was branded by red bull would you get used to the taste of that just for the sake of fake energy?

• 2 weeks later...

Theres an ice cream place by my place in East Toledo that serves up a Monster Slush and a Monster Shake. Using Monster drinks...yuck.

Ill take a Red Bull anyway. However, Red Bull as a mixer in drinks - yummy. Sometimes good straight too but only when the mood strikes me.

It's not that bad, once you get used to it.

Think of it like the first time you drank Red Bull.

Haha, ain't that the truth about most drinks though?

I've never had any energy drink, but to me they just LOOK like one of the most toxic substances you can put in your body. I really don't want to start

Theres an ice cream place by my place in East Toledo that serves up a Monster Slush and a Monster Shake. Using Monster drinks...yuck.

Ill take a Red Bull anyway. However, Red Bull as a mixer in drinks - yummy. Sometimes good straight too but only when the mood strikes me.

*twitches*

Monster....SLUSHY?? OMG!!! I'm going to Ohio!!

I honestly do not believe that there is cocaine in the Red-Bull Cola. I think that there is some sort of explination to this article. I found the product on military bases, and the only way they sell something is after close inspection. I'm sure they would have noticed it before had.

Who knows though.

--James

I was in frankfurt which is in hesse/germany during the time they took it off the shelves. Basically it has traces of coke in it. It is not getting you crazy high or anything but if you drink ít a lot(like regular soda) and would have to do a drugtest for work it could actually show up in your system as so

In any case, it is one of these times I think the state overreacted. Plus only two states banned it. I could drive 10 minutes to another state and get it at the store there

I like Red Bull but the idea of Red Bull Cola is rather disgusting to me

To go along with this, Stake n' Shake now has a Red Bull milkshake

I have heard rumors recently that a number of fast food restaurants are "thinking" about dropping Coke or Pepsi at their restaurants in favor of energy drinks. Myself, I doubt that will happen anytime soon since I am sure there is some iron tight business clause between the two but then again.. I wouldn't be surprised if it does happen sooner or later since it seems soda pop has been getting a very bad wrap in the press lately, almost as bad as cigarettes in recent weeks such as that new law banning the sale of Marlboro Lights ( and other smokes that call themselves "light" or "mild" ) that goes into effect I believe in September.

Anyway with all the slamming against soda pop, other than the taste I have yet to hear anyone slamming energy drinks. Heck our own school district allows them in class but they won't allow soda pop.

That would make no sense at all. Red Bull/Energy Drinks are a lot worse for your system, especially taking in high doses, then any soda product

I agree with you totally. I just don't get how these "experts" like dentists, educators, and the like came up with the "idea' that energy drinks are better health wise than soda unless they don't want to upset the many young people who drink them like to so-called "National soda tax" that the government wants to give us and that tax doesn't include energy drinks.

Just last week USA Today called this a very stupid idea.

But then again, of course its not the first time our government has done "questionable" things. The new cigarette law is a good example. The purpose for that I believe was to help cut down to teen smoking. OK..that is a problem but to me it would had been better just to take cigarettes out of supermarkets and stores like 7-11/Circle K and have them only be sold at bars/liquor stores and tobacco shops like 'Smoker Friendly" , places where kids just can't enter rather than just out right banning a number of brands than have been around for 30-40 years and this is coming from a non-smoker.