TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: King Kong Re-Emerges in a New 4-D Attraction in 2010

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^At first I was scared that the screens were only the size of the projection, but pulling out you see they're much bigger. Lets hope they use that size.

I'm still a person who prefers the physical AAs, effects, and sets to projections any day (that's why I think MiB is still better than TSMM) but I am willing to give this one a try. Heck, with it's size, I think they could easily add it to UO again...

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press release about its latest search for new talent in the form of Studio Tour Guides in light of the new expansion nearing completion at the park's backlot tour.

Hundreds of prospective job seekers are expected to line up at Universal Studios Hollywood on Monday, April 19 as The Entertainment Capital of L.A. auditions Studio Tour Guides in preparation for the most dramatic transformation of the historic studio backlot in decades: the opening of “King Kong 360 3-D” Created by Peter Jackson, the world’s largest, most intense 3-D experience, and the unveiling of four acres of movie sets and filming locations, newly rebuilt over two years since the June 2008 fire.

Auditions will take at least three hours and are planned from 2:00pm to 5:00pm at Universal Studios Hollywood. When hired, the approximate 40 English and Spanish speaking guides will serve as Studio Tour ambassadors, taking visitors behind the scenes of the working studio environment.

The Studio Tour Guide program has evolved as a Hollywood apprenticeship, providing employees access to Hollywood-insider perks unavailable anywhere else in the entertainment industry. Highlights include: intimate group symposiums with prestigious industry professionals, free acting classes by top professors and auditions for top industry casting directors.

Making its colossal debut this summer, “King Kong 360 3-D,” based on Peter Jackson’s 2005 blockbuster, will open as a signature ride on the world famous, behind-the-scenes Studio Tour. Hailed as the world’s largest, most intense 3-D experience, “King Kong 360 3-D” will feature visceral state-of-the-art special effects with new 3-D media to deliver an incomparable theme park ride of epic proportions. Studio Tour guests will be transported to Skull Island where they will find themselves catapulted into the middle of a terrifying struggle between a giant T-Rex and “the eighth wonder of the world” – King Kong.

The four newly rebuilt acres of film production sets will cover 317,000 sq. ft. on a site where countless tent pole movies, television shows, still shoots and commercials have filmed since the 1920s. Throughout the reconstruction process, filmmakers have been interested in the model, design and construction of this premier location. Already, A-List directors are reserving locations for the filming of upcoming blockbusters with star-studded casts.

The great majority of the studio’s famous film locations, including the “War of the Worlds” set, Western Streets, European Street, the Psycho House-Bates Motel, and “Desperate Housewives” Wisteria Lane were untouched by the fire and have remained in continuous use for dozens of motion picture and television productions.

Other enhancements to the Studio Tour, included a recent update to include state-of-the-art, flat-screen Hi-Definition monitors and digital playback system designed to further enhance visitors’ behind-the-scenes experience of a working studio environment.

Because the Studio Tour is constantly changing to accommodate film and TV production schedules, a custom Hi-Def digital playback system has been designed to allow the Studio Tour Guides to instantly select material from several hundreds of clips created for the world-renowned Studio Tour attraction.

Universal Studios Hollywood is a unit of Universal Parks & Resorts, a division of Universal Studios, a part of NBC Universal. NBC Universal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May of 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80% owned by General Electric, with 20% controlled by Vivendi Universal.

• 2 weeks later...

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press release about their Kong-inspired short film competition...

Universal Studios HollywoodSM is challenging filmmakers to compete in a virtual short film competition with $15,000 in prize money timed to coincide with the launch of the theme park’s highly anticipated attraction, “King Kong 360 3-D,” the world’s largest, most intense 3-D experience, opening this summer.

Filmmakers are invited to submit one-to-three minute film shorts that support the theme, “King Kong’s Path to Universal Studios Hollywood” via the creative online social networking site, Zooppa, which is administering the competition on behalf of Universal Studios Hollywood, at http://www.zooppa.com/contests/king-kong.

The short film competition invites filmmakers to depict the havoc a behemoth Kong might wreak had he stomped though their hometowns as he makes his way back to Universal Studios Hollywood. Filmmakers are presented with the creative challenge to establish the suspenseful return of King Kong without revealing the iconic figure’s whole face or whole body in any of the scenes. To view one approach to this issue, filmmakers are directed to Universal Studios Hollywood’s “King Kong 360 3-D” campaign ad at “King Kong 360 3-D” which depicts the aftermath of Kong’s destruction as he enters Universal Studios Hollywood.

Entries can be submitted through June 7, 2010 and must include the following three key phrases for consideration: “King Kong 360 3-D,” “Universal Studios Hollywood,” and ”Summer 2010.” All entrants must be 18 years of age. Details and submission can be found at http://www.zooppa.com/contests/king-kong.

Eleven winning shorts will be announced on June 14, 2010. The Grand Prize film short will be selected by Universal Studios Hollywood’s creative community and awarded a grand prize of $8,000. An additional $7,000 will be divided up among ten finalists voted by registered Zooppa users.

Eleven winning shorts will be announced on June 14, 2010. The winning film short will be selected by Universal Studios Hollywood’s creative community and awarded a grand prize of $8,000, with second and third place winning $3,000 and $1000, respectively. An additional $3,000 will be divided up among ten finalists voted by registered Zooppa users and Zooppa’s creative staff.

Making its colossal debut this summer, “King Kong 360 3-D will open as a signature attraction on the world famous, behind-the-scenes Studio Tour. Hailed as the world’s largest, most intense 3-D experience, “King Kong 360 3-D” will feature visceral state-of-the-art special effects with new 3-D media to deliver an incomparable theme park ride of epic proportions. Studio Tour guests will be transported to Skull Island where they will find themselves catapulted into the middle of a terrifying struggle between a giant T-Rex and “the eighth wonder of the world” – King Kong.

Universal Studios Hollywood is a unit of Universal Parks & Resorts, a division of Universal Studios, a part of NBC Universal. NBC Universal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May of 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80% owned by General Electric, with 20% controlled by Vivendi Universal.

• 2 weeks later...

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us their latest press release about the new King Kong experience coming to the Studio Backlot Tour this Summer.

King Kong, among the screen’s most powerful and enduring icons, will re-emerge in Summer 2010 as a new signature attraction created under the direction of Peter Jackson on the famed Universal Studios HollywoodSM Studio Tour.

“King Kong 360 3-D” Created by Peter Jackson will be the world's largest most intense 3D experience on the planet, combining thrilling visceral effects to create a next-generation theme park experience.

Peter Jackson, director of the Oscar®-winning 2005 Universal Pictures film upon which the attraction is based, said: “The new King Kong at Universal Studios Hollywood will be an incredible amount of fun and a chance to really push film and theme park technology. Aboard the Universal tram, you'll get a wrap-around view of the action through a process involving eight 3-D images shot and projected at 60 frames per second. The film and tram will be tied into a motion simulator that will allow you to physically experience this pulse-pounding spectacle, which includes a fight between Kong and a group of V-Rex, the larger cousins of the T-Rex. You’ll find yourself right in the middle of the action."

“King Kong 360 3-D” Created by Peter Jackson will be the first theme park attraction to be directed by the Oscar-winning filmmaker.

Larry Kurzweil, President and Chief Operating Officer, Universal Studios Hollywood, said: “King Kong has been an integral part of Universal Studios Hollywood for decades and, after the 2008 fire, we knew he had to be reintroduced as a new, groundbreaking, thoroughly over-the-top experience that will thrill new generations of Studio Tour guests. King Kong 360 will be the most exhilarating feature of our world-famous Studio Tour, setting the bar at a new level for immersive theme park experiences.”

In the new attraction, guests will be given special 3-D glasses as they enter a darkened soundstage aboard the Studio Tour trams and will be transported— via the magic of Surround Digital 3D projection —deep into a tangled jungle location. They’ll survive a close encounter with a swarm of hungry raptors, only to be confronted by the terrifying presence of 35' tall dinosaur behemoths, intent on attacking the tram and Studio Tour guests.

Suddenly, a 25' tall gorilla appears - Kong himself! The trams jolt and shudder as the guests find themselves caught in the middle of a titanic struggle between these colossal prehistoric foes - the great ape and carnivorous reptiles - action which sends the packed trams sliding ever closer to the edge of a bottomless chasm.

King Kong, known as “the eighth wonder of the world,” has been called “the experience for which movies were invented.” Since first appearing on the screen in the 1933 original classic, “King Kong” has been re-made twice, each time on a tremendous scale, earning a total of seven Oscar® and three Golden Globe® nominations. Most recently, Peter Jackson’s 2005 version took classic elements of the original “King Kong” story and adrenalized them with up-to-the-minute effects magic and the alchemic talents of a superlative group of filmmakers, cast and crew. Released to critical acclaim in late 2005, “King Kong” was a worldwide hit.

The arrival of the new “King Kong 360 3-D” Created by Peter Jackson experience coincides with major enhancements to the iconic Studio Tour. The most extensive backlot construction ever in the history of Universal Studios, which includes re-creations of legendary Hollywood sets and the introduction of brand-new shooting locations, will make the renowned Studio buzz with star-studded film and television production as never before. Studio trams were recently equipped as "mobile movie theaters" with state-of-the-art flat-screen high-definition monitors and digital playback systems. The new high-definition monitors feature commentary from filmmakers, actors and personalities. Clips from numerous movie and television productions, corresponding to sites visited along the Tour route, add a new dimension to the tour of backlot attractions, sets and facades.

Universal Studios Hollywood is a unit of Universal Parks & Resorts, a division of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 2 weeks later...

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us some information about the latest location to get hit by Kong's wrath on his way to the park...

Catastrophe stuck at Dodger stadium early yesterday morning, when giant ape footprints were found lining the baseball field, tracking from home plate through to center field. Further investigations revealed that the footprints belonged to none other than King Kong, who had decided to monkey around in the famous stadium on his way to headlining a new attraction at Universal Studios Hollywood, King Kong 360 3-D.

Kong will be making his way through various parts of Los Angeles in the next few weeks as he makes his way back to his new home at the theme park.

The ape will star in King Kong 360 3-D, a next-generation, interactive theme park experience designed by Peter Jackson, director of the award-winning 2005 Universal Pictures film on which the attraction is based. It is scheduled to open by the Fourth of July holiday.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=DodgerFootprint_lores_dfwb[/coastertube]

^^Is it me or did someone not think this video through, there are the 2 foot prints behind home plate then "walking" footsteps heading to centerfield where apparently Kong busted through the out field bleachers. My question is how did Kong get behind home plate without destroying the stadium behind said home plate, this probably should have been caught in editing then again Universal did create Twister, the movie with the most mistakes in film history. That said this new Kong attraction should be really fun.

^Mabey he jumped and landed behind home plate.

The two promotional videos that have come out so far I find to be really weak. This video expecially, all it seemed was music playing and showing the kong's foot prints from different angles. I think it would be better if they showed tiny bits of clips from the movie or the attraction film. And also show a few shots of people cowarding in fear on the studio tour trams.

I like the concept of the commercials and how its like leading up to the opening, but i think they are poorly done. You would think you would get better from a movie studio. Still I'm excited about it opening, but i've always been a fan of Kong.

If you think the ads suck, wait till you see the "attraction". Just kidding- it's a great 3D movie, but that's it- there are plenty of guests already asking if the King Kong "ride" is open yet. If you tell them it isn't the big robot monkey from before, they get a bit disappointed.

^^Is it me or did someone not think this video through, there are the 2 foot prints behind home plate then "walking" footsteps heading to centerfield where apparently Kong busted through the out field bleachers. My question is how did Kong get behind home plate without destroying the stadium behind said home plate, this probably should have been caught in editing then again Universal did create Twister, the movie with the most mistakes in film history. That said this new Kong attraction should be really fun.

I thought that movie was Jurassic Park

If you think the ads suck, wait till you see the "attraction". Just kidding- it's a great 3D movie, but that's it- there are plenty of guests already asking if the King Kong "ride" is open yet. If you tell them it isn't the big robot monkey from before, they get a bit disappointed.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking, they put a little too much into it for it to just be a show considering I know quite a few people who thought it was a ride.

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us the latest update in their viral marketing campaign leading up to the grand opening of the King Kong 360 3-D attraction as a part of the Studio Backlot Tour.

Surfers, tourists, and local Los Angelenos alike were stunned yesterday morning by a rather HUGE mystery: the discovery of 15 foot long footprints in the sand at Santa Monica Pier!

A local fisherman was perhaps the only person who caught a glimpse of the creature responsible. “Everything started shaking,” he said. “Then I saw this thing. Bigger than any whale…eyes dark and menacing, teeth as big as the poles under the pier here.” Police are cautioning people not to panic, and to be careful not to fall into the deep footprints on the beach. Residents and tourists are wondering what kind of monster could be responsible for footprints so massive.

Some people are suggesting that the footprints belong to none other than King Kong, who has been making his way through Los Angeles en route to his new home at Universal Studios Hollywood. Last week, Kong wreaked havoc at Dodgers Stadium by marking up the baseball field with his gigantic footprints, similar to the ones found at Santa Monica Pier. King Kong will be headlining King Kong 360 3-D, the brand new, revolutionarily interactive attraction designed by esteemed director Peter Jackson, and it’s possible that Santa Monica Pier was just his latest stop on his journey to Universal Studios Hollywood.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=SantaMonicaPier_FootprintsVIRAL_2u8c

Internet1.jpg.f2f9a7ee612434bba97406ec4fdc613a.jpg

Internet2.jpg.68211434a69bf4d5b4104bf7450c135f.jpg

Internet3.jpg.db18ff56cc92c663121809b075d191da.jpg

Internet4.jpg.ca44ead0c0f83c5e266f9357ec09172a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A few picture i took today, i probably won't have a Universal trip report up for awhile, so i decided to post these here. Kong entrance and a shot of whatever they are doing to Jaws.

entrance.JPG.abaea6261f29dc3d3cd5308e6e9466e7.JPG

Entrance, they have added alot of detail from the last pictures i saw.

1119569071_orangepaint.JPG.2f00f94710c430e429e1cdd7b4b9771b.JPG

Still sculpting out the rocks I guess, there are also bamboo spears and skulls.

jaws.JPG.64ec54a66177224bb1269d3c2c546630.JPG

A shot of whatever they are doing to Jaws, probably doesn't belong here, but I'm not gonna jump all over posting pictures.

Hope these are fresh, and not old news.

• 2 weeks later...

They did a employee preview and they are saying its awesome, they are also saying it might soft open before July 1st. Anybody going before the 1st, I wanna go but then if it's not open then I will have to go back again later in the week.

OMFG that was amazing. Theres a part where the tram is "falling" that was awesome. It's like a huge simulator, I might have liked that better than star tours.

[edit] Forgot to mention, Kong was in "technical rehearsal" today.

Edited by fatdaddy

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a new video about King Kong 360 3-D.

In anticipation of the opening of King Kong 360 3-D that opens July 1 at Universal Studios Hollywood, check out this footage of Peter Jackson and Matt Aitken, Visual Effects Supervisor, WETA Digital, talking about the project!

Multiple Academy Award-Winning Producer, Writer, Director, Peter Jackson teamed up with Universal Studios Hollywood to create “KING KONG 360 3-D,” the largest most intense 3-D experience on the planet, based on his award-winning blockbuster, KING KONG.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=PeterJacksonIntv2_KK3603DOnlineV2_052010FINAL_wx4n[/coastertube]

Edited by jedimaster1227

Literally sitting on the tram, fresh out of kong. And wow! That was incredible. They aren't letting alot of trams go in right now, so I got really lucky. There are a few news stations filming. I don't want to spoil it too much, but you really feel like the tram is moving incredibly fast and there are a few surpise effects that are awesome! Basically, be patient if you go before July 1st, it is worth it!

Edit: I'm bored so I am gonna write a little more. We initially passed by the Kong building and went into the New York street. We wrapped around to a cross street right in front of the Kong building and stopped for a few minutes. The guide was talking to some sort of higher up after she put on random universal music. We waited for Another tram to go up the hill and then we followed them. They went passed the building and I thought we would do the same, but to my surprise, we made a VERY hard right turn into the building. There were a few people filming the tram for universal and some news stations. The screens are massive. When I get home, I'll upload my pictures and write more. Sorry if any of this didn't make sense.

Second edit: I was watching ABC news right when I got home, and to my surprise, I saw myself waving from the tram going into the building. Can you say epic?

Edited by coasterguy4

So they are giving out glasses to every train despite whether or not it goes through the attraction? That doesn't make sense to me, so I'd assume if they are handing you glasses before you get on it should be a big hint that your going to see it.