TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Darien Lake Question

I plan on going to Darien Lake this Friday, May 22nd. I'm just curious as to why last Friday (the 15th), this Friday (the 22nd), and next Friday (the 29th) the hours of operation are from 9:30 am to 10:00 pm, instead of 10:30 am to 10:00 pm like the majority of the summer. Those are the only three days the whole summer with those hours.

I looked at all the planned events for this summer and there is absolutely nothing going on this Friday. Why are they different? Is there something going on that day I should know about, that's unlisted, that would cause the park to be crowded? Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is something school related, regular trips or maybe some kind of event for schools since schools like to get to the parks either right at opening or early since they have to leave earlier than park closing most of the time to take the students back to school before it is too late at night.

I plan on going to Darien Lake this Friday, May 22nd. I'm just curious as to why last Friday (the 15th), this Friday (the 22nd), and next Friday (the 29th) the hours of operation are from 9:30 am to 10:00 pm, instead of 10:30 am to 10:00 pm like the majority of the summer. Those are the only three days the whole summer with those hours.

I looked at all the planned events for this summer and there is absolutely nothing going on this Friday. Why are they different? Is there something going on that day I should know about, that's unlisted, that would cause the park to be crowded? Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in responding but I missed my usual Darien Lake search.

These are all special event days. May 15th was Middle School Science Day.

May 22nd, I am not sure of , but the 29th is Career Day. These are listed under "Group Events" in the "Events" drop down on the Darien Lake web page.

I have been there on special event days and there is usually no problem.

Just a little larger crowd.

Probably has something to do with difference in crowds. My guess is maybe research shows that when the kids get out of school, the first week they're off they go to Darien Lake, and they make more money if they open earlier? But I have no idea haha, just a thought.

Ok cool thanks. I still have that episode saved on my DVR. I'm really looking forward to seeing one of their bikes in person!

I just thought of something. Could it be possible that the hours are that way because it's Memorial Weekend? There isn't any particular even going on that day, just the fact that there might be a bit more people than usual.

Anyone who cares, I ended up going and the park was empty all day long. Even with RoS's one train operation, the line was still a walk-on, and I never waited more than one train for anything else. I did see the OCC chopper, but that coaster and the Boomerang were closed the whole time I was there. I left at around 7:30. I was kind of bummed that there was no sign of life at all, all day long at OCC, except a couple of mechanics smoking every once and a while.

I heard someone ask why those two were closed and a security guard said it's probably because of lack of staffing, which is a bummer, but it makes sense this early in the year. Staff did show up to Boomerang and they said they were going to open it later, but since it's only a boomerang, I didn't hang around to ride it.

Oh well, I guess it's incentive to go back sometime. Overall great park and great atmosphere, I really enjoyed myself, and I don't think Predator is as bad as people make it out to be...there are woodies out there that are a lot worse.