TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Parks of Pennsylvania

I know there are tons of nice parks all over the country, and the world, but I just wanted to bring my perspective to one rather notable state...

I was born and raised in Upstate NY, but both of my parents grew up in Western PA, in a town called New Castle. In that town, there used to be a great little amusement park called Cascade Park, which closed around the time I was born. They used to talk to me all the time about the coaster they used to have, which dipped into the ravines of the park. It sounded quite a bit like Kennywood's Thunderbolt, looking back on it.

About 3 times in my life now, I've gotten to experience the Wonderful Kennywood Park, outside of Pittsburgh. Last summer, I finally visited Knoebels, and got to know the homespun charm of that place, which I hope to see again sometime. This summer I'll be seeing Hershey, which I've heard many marvelous things about. I've not seen Dorney yet, but I hope to at some point in the future.

This got me thinking...what is it about Pennsylvania?

How was this state able to create some truly memorable and pleasant amusement parks? Granted, not all of them can be great, but the good ones I have been to have this indescribable, enjoyable quality to them. It's the kind of feeling I haven't really felt at any of the parks I've been to in Ohio or New York.

Maybe it's personal bias, because my family has so many connections and roots in the state. I'm not sure. In any case, I'd love to hear the thoughts from any locals, or outsiders on the matter. Maybe some of you can shed some light on what makes the parks of the Keystone State so unique.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Location location location. Alright, there is probably a ton more to it than that, but a lot of those parks are right near a major city (Philly, the Pit, NYC). There were many, many great parks throughout this country, but most of those have gone out of business for many different reasons.

Dunno, But CP-sized queues at Hershey/Kennywood magically seem to take like 20 minutes, compared to CP's hour or so

EG: Phantoms revenge, back to ramp bottom near switchbacks = ~20m despite the 45 posted

Storm runner: Full queue = ~45 mins at the worst on a bad day, 30 normally, MAYBE an hour if the second set of switchbacks is used

CP? Millie, 2 train op, bottom of angled switchback area, hour long wait

i dont get it, personally

Dunno, But CP-sized queues at Hershey/Kennywood magically seem to take like 20 minutes, compared to CP's hour or so

EG: Phantoms revenge, back to ramp bottom near switchbacks = ~20m despite the 45 posted

Storm runner: Full queue = ~45 mins at the worst on a bad day, 30 normally, MAYBE an hour if the second set of switchbacks is used

CP? Millie, 2 train op, bottom of angled switchback area, hour long wait

i dont get it, personally

That is rather interesting to think about. I remember last summer, going to Knoebels in the middle of July, and both Phoenix and Twister were only running one train. I thought I'd have to wait forever to get on, but the wait was always a surprisingly short one.

At the risk of sounding overly proud of my parents' home state, a lot of Pennsylvanians seem to have this wonderful, almost German, work ethic, and sense of efficiency that sets them apart.

Though sometimes, that's hard to notice, when you drive through the highways there, which seem to always be under construction...

That's what I've always noticed: Kennywood uses relatively short queues, but for the most part we never need more than what's there. Take the Jack Rabbit, for example. From the station back to the front of the line, the queue basically follows the track out of the station until the first drop, then it comes back up to meet the midway. That's it. On the busiest days, I have seen the line overflow past the beginning and wrap around to the station again, but that does not always happen. Somehow Kennywood is always able to keep its lines moving quickly. The longest line is usually the Exterminator, which is understandable given it's a crazy mouse, and has limited seating. Another example is last year's new dark ride, Ghostwood Estate. Last year, the queue was almost always filled to its maximum capacity when I went to ride it (it has a weird layout you'd have to see to really understand), probably because it was new. This year I work on the ride. While Ghostwood is still very popular, we have not yet had a line long enough to use the entire queue (as it has a bunch of those shortcut gates or whatever you want to call them). If only the line for the Whacky Shack at Waldameer moved faster... (again, that one is understandable)

Unlike parks like Alton Towers, where people living nearby complain each time a new ride is added, we really love and cherish our parks. Also, almost all of them seem to acknowledge their history in one way or another, and try to blend the old with the new (even in Dorney's case). It's a winning combination, really.

I've lived in PA my whole life and I haven't been to a huge number of parks outside my state, so I do have to admit to some favoritism for the places I've visited most. When I lived near Philadelphia, the closest park to me was Dorney. I feel that for most people, nothing about it would really stand out but I love it all the same from going so many times (and I would recommend going).

My mom always reminisces about going to West Point Park (I think that's what it was called) and especially Willow Grove Park as a child and riding their scenic railway called the Alps (now it's just a mall. I would have much preferred having an amusement park 15 minutes from my house growing up than a mall!). There used to be many parks here in decades past that have vanished now, but that's the case with many states. Maybe you could say that Pennsylvania was able to hang onto places that deliver good operations and an enjoyable environmental setting better than others, but it's all a matter of chance and opinion.

So I don't know if I'd say what you love about PA parks is strictly a Pennsylvania thing (although for a place like Knoebel's you are certainly on to something). I think it's a matter of looking at each park and its history and atmosphere individually. Their appeal is a subjective thing, and I'm sure you'd find the things you see in PA parks in other places too, just as you might find the typical Cedar Fair atmosphere inside and outside the state.

Hope that wasn't too rambling. It's good that you've found parks here that consistently deliver an enjoyable experience (I certainly have, too), but no matter where you find those experiences, it's the fact that you find them at all that's important.

~Megan

^I live like 10 or 15 minutes away from the Willow Grove Mall. It's really a shame they changed it from an amusement park to a mall, it would have been so cool to live that close to a park. It's actually got a pretty interesting history too, I might see what I can dig up.

I'd say PA is a home to a lot of parks partially because its geography; hilly with lots of trees makes for a great atmosphere for both parks and coasters themselves. Some of the adjacent states are similar, but PA's high population and historic significance probably also makes a difference.

I was born and raised in Pee-aay...I think parks are the one thing we praise ourselves on lol. Tradition is something that a lot of us are big on (especially older folk); it ties into a lot of other things in our daily lives, including amusement parks. Parks here, IMO, are near and dear to us.

The thing is too is that a chunk of PA is dying off; especially towards Scranton (where I live near). It's all old coal mines and fields and what-not and having something like a traditional amusement park kind of keeps life going.

Our home is the land of traditionalism when it comes to just about everything. As Pennsylvanians we cherish our roots and traditions. We eat PA Dutch and German food regularly because it is part of our heritage. We often times find ourselves saying things like "Let me get that awhile" and "The beer is all". But above all, we love our sizable traditional selection of parks. Where I'm from, the majority of people don't consider a summer complete without a trip to Hersheypark AND Knoebels. You can't visit one without visiting the other. They are the places we've gone every year since our childhoods and since they are part of our tradition, we demand that something special of our parks. As much as i love to travel, i must say that Kennywood, Knoebels, and Hersheypark make up the "PA 3" or in other words, IMO these parks make PA the greatest theme park state in the country. Oh, and that's not even considering the smaller parks like Idlewild and Waldameer which are also parks you won't find any place like anywhere.

I urge anyone who hasn't already to come visit our great parks. You haven't truly gone back in time until you've visited Knoebels, the greatest traditional park in the world. 'Nuff said.

^ Okay, I grew up in a real nice part of Pennsylvania. And yes, Knoebels is special, and Hersheypark is pretty good. (Haven't been to Kennywood yet.) But - little as I love much of Florida - are we really saying that those three parks actually beat the collective juiciness of WDW, IOA, USF, BGT, SW, and the Dania Beach Hurricane thrown in for good measure? Really?

^ Okay, I grew up in a real nice part of Pennsylvania. And yes, Knoebels is special, and Hersheypark is pretty good. (Haven't been to Kennywood yet.) But - little as I love much of Florida - are we really saying that those three parks actually beat the collective juiciness of WDW, IOA, USF, BGT, SW, and the Dania Beach Hurricane thrown in for good measure? Really?

Ok, guess I should have said PA is the best traditional park state. I do agree that Florida has been at the top for quite a long time.. so much that I sometimes consider the rest of the country "babylon". I think it's also safe to say that both states are on two totally different sides of the theme park fence. Take both state's Haunted Mansions for example. Both are excellent examples of dark rides. But could you really say that one is better than the other? On one side you have a near flawless representation of a classic pretzel-type dark ride and on the other you have a high-tech modern masterpiece. Two different ends of the spectrum. Overall, I'd have to say FL and PA are both the greatest park states each in their own.

are we really saying that those three parks actually beat the collective juiciness of WDW, IOA, USF, BGT, SW, and the Dania Beach Hurricane thrown in for good measure? Really?

YES, some of us are saying YES. You might not be saying it, but I am.

I am really looking forward to experiencing the PA amusement parks in June. I am planning to spend 10 big days in your state and hitting Hershey, Knobels, and Dutch Wonderland while there.

I will be camping in Lancaster and traveling about from there. We were going to camp at Knobels; but, decided to stay more central so we could do more.

^ 10 days and you're only going to those 3 parks?

Do you have other site seeing plans? If not, I highly recommend trying to get to some of the other parks.

There's so many good little parks that you'd miss, like Kennywood and Waldameer, and quite a few others! Not to mention you're gonna be so close to Dorney while at Knoebels.

I'm a sad, pathetic enthusiast! I live in Dayton, OH, (5 hours from Kennywood or 6 from Waldameer) and have never been to any PA parks.

Now here's where it gets really SAD! I've been on the property at Hersheypark. On the way home from a Philly mission trip our youth minister decided it would be a great idea to stop a Chocolate World's food court for lunch. I had sit there for an hour and a half and stare at coasters I couldn't get in to ride.

I know I'll get there some day! I just have too.

^ 10 days and you're only going to those 3 parks?

Do you have other site seeing plans? If not, I highly recommend trying to get to some of the other parks.

There's so many good little parks that you'd miss, like Kennywood and Waldameer, and quite a few others! Not to mention you're gonna be so close to Dorney while at Knoebels.

I would love to be able to spend the entire time seeing parks BUT I don't think my wife would like it. I was lucky to get Knobels in, of course its a trade off for the outlets of Lancaster.

We are staying at Old Mill Campground which is next to Dutch Wonderland so I know I will get there.

Surprised no one has mentioned Lakemont in this thread - while certainly not a great or even nice park, it is home to world's oldest running coaster - Leap the Dips - IMHO required riding for any enthusiast.

I grew up just across the state line in Ohio (15 miles from the original poster's home of New Castle). State rivalry: We used to say that a good time in New Castle was going downtown and watching the city rust.

Many, many trips to Conneaut Lake Park, also not mentioned. Hopefully the Blue Streak will reopen soon!

Not that big of a fan of Hershey - have had too many overcrowded experiences there. Love Knoebels and consider Dorney my home park.

(sarcasm)But I would not say that PA has a monopoly on good parks. That goes to OHIO!(/sarcasm)