TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Magnum’s new sign at Cedar Point!

^^Try riding Magnum early in the day before the trims are on in seat 2-1...

LMAO! I always love it when people tell me stuff like this...

"Well, in order to get the REAL experince you need to ride it at a certain time of day, in a certain seat, when the moon is out, and a witch doctor has cast a spell on the train..."

C'MON! GIVE ME A F**KING BREAK!

If the ride only delivers said "amazing airtime" when the stars are alightly properly that IMO is a MAJOR FAIL on the part of the ride and how it was designed.

Magnum can be very moody so this is one time it is a fact, even if it doesn't sound believable. I have had some rides where Magnum feels almost as smooth as MF and I have had rides where I really thought Mean Streak was smoother. It really does depend on when you ride it.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^Try riding Magnum early in the day before the trims are on in seat 2-1...

LMAO! I always love it when people tell me stuff like this...

"Well, in order to get the REAL experince you need to ride it at a certain time of day, in a certain seat, when the moon is out, and a witch doctor has cast a spell on the train..."

C'MON! GIVE ME A F**KING BREAK!

If the ride only delivers said "amazing airtime" when the stars are alightly properly that IMO is a MAJOR FAIL on the part of the ride and how it was designed.

Magnum can be very moody so this is one time it is a fact, even if it doesn't sound believable. I have had some rides where Magnum feels almost as smooth as MF and I have had rides where I really thought Mean Streak was smoother. It really does depend on when you ride it.

I don't think Robb was doubting that Magnum is moody and can be more enjoyable in a specific seat at a specific time when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east...

...I think he's just saying that a moody coaster that takes just the right (insert list of necessities here) ISN'T a good or truly enjoyable coaster. A great coaster should be enjoyable front of train or back. It should be fun in the morning, the afternoon, at night... in the spring or summer or fall. That's the mark of a successful coaster.

And thus, all the love Magnum gets can be puzzling.

...I think he's just saying that a moody coaster that takes just the right (insert list of necessities here) ISN'T a good or truly enjoyable coaster. A great coaster should be enjoyable front of train or back. It should be fun in the morning, the afternoon, at night... in the spring or summer or fall. That's the mark of a successful coaster.

Exactly....

I honestly think it's one of the worst coasters in the park, mainly due to all the hype it's gotten over the years. Had it not been SO hyped up for SO long and appear on SO many top ten lists, I'd probably like it better.

You're not giving it a fair shot if you say you don't like it because it was over hyped. Who cares about the hype? All the coasters at Cedar Point are over hyped at one point or another. It's because its one of the most well known, and visited theme parks and they have a fantastic marketing department....

How about this? I can be the guinea pig here! I have never been to Cedar Point, have almost no opinion about Magnum or just about any of the coasters, haven't ridden any of the coasters there, and when I possibly go in August, I can put them to the test and see which is better!

I just don't get why Magnum is so popular. It's only the lowest 200+ foot coaster there. I don't think Dorney Park fanboys have this much of love for Steel Force and that coaster is kind of good.

Exactly....

That understandable. If anybody here wants moody coasters, take a trip to Kings Island. Just about every coaster there is moody (Firehawk just decides it doesn't want to work half the time).

Ya know, everyone is entitled to their opinion....

Less people liking magnum = shorter lines for those that do!

BTW, you should all hate Top Thrill and Millennium too....they were way overhyped!

Ya know, everyone is entitled to their opinion....

And I totally get that and respect everyone's opinion.... but what I don't respect is a park employee telling me he gets better rides on a coaster because he's not a 500lb lard ass like everyone else.

I respect everyone's opinion as long as they respect mine and don't try to shove any kind of "made up facts" on me that they have just pulled from their behind because someone else doesn't share the same opinion they do.

That's lame....and rude.

Sorry cedar point dude, you are NOT better than everyone else because you worked at Cedar Point and you got 300+ rides on Magnum. I got 200+ rides on Splash Mountain when I worked at Disneyland. Do I think I'm better than anyone else? No. So cut out that egotistical attitude. It don't fly here on TPR.

--Robb

Maybe it's the fact that I'm not your average 500lb+ coaster enthusiast

Hey southpuddle...

Have a look at the picture below...

Here is the group of 100 TPR members we brought to Cedar Point in 2007. How many "500lb+ coaster enthusiasts" do you see in this picture?

Seriously, I don't get offended by much, but I think your comment is *WAY* off base and personally I think you owe TPR an apology.

If you really think TPR is full of "500lb+ coaster enthusiasts" you need to find a different website, dude.

--Robb "Not putting up with that kind of attitude here...I hope other TPR members can respect my stance to defend them!" Alvey

^I'm confused, you don't get any airtime on Magnum? Those bunny hills are full of "OMG, my thighs are permanently bruised" airtime. Unfortunately, that's also the reason I'm not a HUGE fan of that ride. I just don't find it enjoyable. The first drop, and third hill are fantastic, but the rest just hurts...."meh".

Of course, I've never felt like Phoenix has the "OMFG air" that other people rave about, I blame it on being a fatass.

Best airtime coasters in my book: El Toro, Goliath at Walibi World, S:ROS

OMG Magnum is Sinking!

I've never been to the park (3 weeks left!) and I think Magnum looks great. Long layout, plenty of hills, but if it rides anything like Desperado I wont be too impressed.

How do you think it will feel for the 260 pound enthusiast?

I'm about half the weight of the "suspected" average of a TPR memeber.

You all make some good points. When I was a kid, I thought CP was the Ultimate park...but now I've been getting out there and seeing all the other great parks out there, ever since I got a car and a GPS. Maybe not as often as you guys all get to, but hey, I do my best.

Last summer I saw Knoebels for the first time, and this summer I'll get to see Hershey ( I finally get to ride a CCI woodie. Yay!).

Anyway, I was a little miffed at what Robb said at first, but after thinking about it, I can see where he's coming from. Magnum was my first memory of a really big coaster, so it has a little bit of nostalgic value for me.

At the same time though, I've been getting out there, and trying things that are just as good, and even better than a lot of what I experienced at CP. Does that make me like CP any less? Absolutely not.

My feelings on Magnum now...it's tough to tell, because like I said, I haven't been to CP in 7 years. It's obviously not much to rave about now, but back when I was young, it was a groundbreaker. That's probably why I still have a fondness for it despite its flaws.

Magnum in any car middle seat is pretty well full of "OMFG" Airtime, in the early part or later part (Night rides own) of the day

The front car middle seat will murder you at night on the pre-turnaround hills, and the last car is suicide early morning in any seat

also: i'm a 6'2 140lb enthusiast, i think his average is off by ~300lb

Kennywood, Geauga lake (When it was still around) Idlewild, Indiana beach, and a lot of other "Smaller" parks than CP Are all better, and Kennywood sits at my #1 spot due to the absolutely amazing value (a day for me there, counting gas, food, tolls, admission, and parking, costs ~60$ compared to ~80 or more for CP)

I like the new sign. Oh wait, that's off topic!

How does Magnum compare to the Morgan hypers? I've only gotten to ride Mamba. I thought it was a great ride (especially the helix). My one complaint is that the seat could use a little more padding. I'm a skinny white dude and After 3 rides in a row, my butt was sore from banging up and down from all the airtime. Are the Arrow trains better? Or are we totally apples and oranges here?

I just don't get why Magnum is so popular. It's only the lowest 200+ foot coaster there. I don't think Dorney Park fanboys have this much of love for Steel Force and that coaster is kind of good.

Please recognize that even though I'm a true lover this has nothing to do with the actual quality of the ride itself, when I say that Magnum represented a true sea change in the way roller coasters (and really, the whole industry) developed after 1989. It was also built at a time when roller coasters were really starting to bust out into the modern golden age of coaster building and the coaster wars of the 90's, and I also think it has to do with the way Cedar Point pretty much dominated coaster culture for a long time in ways that it doesn't quite so much today, partially because of the internet I think.

Even if you're not a fan of the ride itself, Magnum's impact and influence on the industry is pretty undeniable. But I can see especially for the younger set why that may not be totally obvious. Me, I was only 6 when the ride debuted but Magnum loomed large over the next decade of coaster building.

I'd say the next coaster after Magnum to have that much impact after would be Raven which really sparked the return to the idea that smaller parks could afford to build small, fun, AWESOME wooden coasters everyone would love.

What exactly separates it from Magnum?

Take a look at them on rcdb.com

They're both big red out 'n' back hyper coasters but from there they are very different.

As a coaster sign maker in 2007 and 2008, I've seen the sign for Magnum more times than all of the other coaster signs on my list combined... well over 300 times and I've seen 350+ coaster signs. It sits firmly at the top of my steel coaster sign list. I can't really even explain it. The construction, the font choice, classic color combination, beveling, and my GOD the steel framing. Out of my 300+ sign views, I MIGHT have had three or four unpleasant ones where the sign had bird poop on it and I was unfortunate enough to see it after a dirty rain shower, but 99.9% of my views have been pure bliss. Stand about six feet back (so that you're not directly blocking your peripheral vision) and you'll be fine.