TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point help

Hello all TPR's. I'm planning to make my first ever trip to CP in June to finally full fill a lifelong dream. Coming from Texas it is quite a ways away so I'm not too familiar with the area. I basically am wondering where I should stay. Is staying in the park worth the inflated prices for two nights? I know they knock off some of the ticket price and allow early entry but is it really a bargain opposed to staying somewhere cheaper off the property? Also I want to know what is the preferred way to attack the park in the opening hours to help avoid the long treacherous lines? I'll be going on a Monday-Tuesday.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is your life-long dream, DEFINITELY stay on property!

I'm staying at Hotel Breakers June 9-11th, in the Bon Air section. Others may complain that it is old and outdated...well, it is. But, it is much cheaper than any of sections of the hotel, the location is amazing (5 steps to the beach, about 10 to the Magnum entrance ), and you still get all the perks that come with any other on-Point property. I've never had any problems with it at all.

Also, since you are staying two nights, CP has two decent package deals. The one I am getting includes your 2-night stay, 2 starlight tickets, 2 general admission tickets, $30 in CP munch-money, 4 Challenge Park points, and buy-one-get-one-free coupons for Soak City. I couldn't tell you the price right off-hand, but I can remember thinking it was a steal.

Weekdays in June are generally great days to visit. Lines shouldn't get above an hour on any of the coasters, and the temperatures tend to be perfect. Have a great trip!

I think Breakers Express gives you a pretty good deal too. ...I think it's around $90 dollars a night. You get the discount tickets and early entry just like the other on-site hotels. The only drawback is having to pay for parking, since the hotel is about 5 minutes down the road from the park.

I'm staying at Hotel Breakers June 9-11th, in the Bon Air section. Others may complain that it is old and outdated...well, it is. But, it is much cheaper than any of sections of the hotel, the location is amazing (5 steps to the beach, about 10 to the Magnum entrance ), and you still get all the perks that come with any other on-Point property. I've never had any problems with it at all.

Also if you check in late, there's the chance Bon Air is full, getting you a free upgrade to Breakers Tower. That happened to us last year.

Awesome thanks man, could you tell me where on the CP website the packages and such are listed? I found the room rates and I was punching them in, but I didn't see the packages listed.

Just go to resorts.cedarpoint.com and get a room quote that is at least two nights. Packages require a two night stay.

The only drawback is having to pay for parking, since the hotel is about 5 minutes down the road from the park.

Unless you get a package. Breakers Express packages include a parking voucher for free parking.

The hotels have their own parking lots last time I checked, and when I last checked I was there in person. Which would be November 1st, 2008.

There is limited parking next to the onsite hotels, at least I know by one of them for sure. (Breakers? )

Otherwise, you'll need to get the package with the voucher.

With finding the best options, call the park's information hotline. They should be able to help, because I live about 2 hrs from the park and usually a day at the park is enough for my family.

But if WE were staying for awhile, I'd call the park.

If I were to stay on property at CP again, I'd probably try the Bon Air wing of Breakers. The regular rooms are way overpriced. It's Disney Deluxe pricing without the theming or great restaurants inside the hotel.

Don't get me wrong. Breakers is a nice hotel. Just not $250/night nice.

I think Paul has the best advice: Show up, park in the main lot, and enjoy the park until late. Then check in at Breakers and have your fingers crossed that Bon Air is full. It's certainly worth a shot.

^ By late June Breakers itself is definetly overpriced.

Though in May it's close enough to make it worth it. I'm going this weekend, staying at Breakers. Breakers itself this weekend isn't all that more expensive then Express.

Though I found that every week later you check, the rates get farther and farther apart. By the 2nd week of June I found the price of Breakers was more then it's worth.

If it's like $20/person difference it's worth it. But when it gets to like $70-$100/person difference over express, that's far too much.

^We went opening weekend in 2007 and the room was roughly $250/night. And that wasn't one of their more expensive rooms. It was a pretty basic room in the newer part of the hotel.

It was a spotless room of perhaps upper 2-star quality. Something you'd expect to pay ~$85/night for at a Comfort Inn.

If you're planning on staying at Breakers (which is already outside of the park) and it's too expensive and you want early entry, just get a Platinum Pass ($150) and stay somewhere cheap near CP. That way, you won't pay too much for a hotel, and you'll get some nice "Point Perks", which includes Early Admission, and Thrillin' Thursdays (if you go on a Thursday, which would be worth it if you can).

Point Perks: http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/admission/season_passes/point_perks.cfm

Cedar Point passes: http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/admission/season_passes/prices.cfm

Okay, apparantly if you get your pass at Cedar Point it is $160 instead of $150 at my CF homepark, Knott's. Still better than a $200+ hotel for early admission, IMO.

Okay, apparantly if you get your pass at Cedar Point it is $160 instead of $150 at my CF homepark, Knott's. Still better than a $200+ hotel for early admission, IMO.

Well, when we're talking $200+ hotel we're referring to Breakers, which is on the peninsula.

Breakers Express is not a $200 a night hotel, even in July. So if you want early entry Breakers Express is a decent option. Express really is about the same price as a Holiday Inn Express or something. I'm not sure it's worth it to save $20 a night by staying in some dive.

Also keep in mind, the room is alot more affordable if you have multiple people. I'm going with 4 people, so it's more like $50 a night.

Buying the platinum pass just for the early entry really isn't worth it IMHO. The platinum pass is really only worth it if you're going to go to at least three CF parks, or you go to 2 CF parks alot.

If you're only going to go to one park most of the time, with a single trip to CP fit in, then it's probably cheaper to get a normal season pass and pay normal admission to CP. At least that's how it always works out when I price stuff out for my friends. They're better off getting a normal CW season pass if they want, and then pay normal admission to CP. As the difference between a normal and platinum pass is more then two days admission.

Paul - I agree, much easier on the wallet splitting the bill 4 ways. A few of the rooms in the old part of Breakers even sleep 6 with a pullout bed, my family got those a few times.

I really miss the fact that Cedar Fair shareholders no longer "Stay one night get one night free" coupons for Cedar Point properties.

^ Some of the lighthouse point cabins could be a pretty good deal for a large group.

They cost about the same, or a bit less then Breakers. Most I think have like a bed, bunk beds, and then a futon or two. If you've got a couple people interested in sleeping on air mattresses, it'd probably make it a pretty cheap stay.

The last time we went to Cedar Point (2006), we went on a Tuesday in Early June. It was much more crowded than I expected, though I had been there on two occasions in mid-may and experienced walk-ons everywhere excepy MF (10min).

You shouldn't have any trouble getting in all of the coasters in 2 days.

The rides that had significant lines were: Mantis (this one was the longest at about an hour-1.5hrs), Top Thrill Dragster (1hr), Wicked Twister (30min), Raptor (30min), Millenium Force (30min). Everything else was basically a walk-on or a very short wait (less than 10min). Maverick had just begun construction, so no advice there.

Awesome thanks for the help everyone. Is Maverick still generating the massive lines it was getting in 07 or has it calmed down some? I can't wait to go now, getting closer by the second. Where would you guys recommend to eat on and off property? Hope I'm not burdening you locals with too many questions, like I said I'm from Texas so this is my one and only time to get to experience this place I gotta make the best of it!

I went in mid June during the middle of the week last year and the longest waits were 45min - 1 hour for MF and Maverick and 30-45min for TTD. Raptor/Mantis had 20-30min waits, and everything else was mostly a station wait.

I also stayed on site. I'd recommend hitting either Maverick or MF first, though MF runs noticeably slower in the morning so if you're willing to put up with a longer wait, try riding it in the afternoon.

Another question, my friend is right around that 6'2 225 limit they talk about with MF, TTD. He has been on Xcelerator with a similar restraint system so I'd assume he'd be fine. Are many people really turned away because of the weight/height limit or is it just something they say and much larger people ride anyhow?

^Yes, people are turned away. Weight is not the determining factor, it is all about how one's weight is distributed and body type. I've known people over 250 pounds that could ride MF and others closer to your friend's weight that were turned away.

^ That is correct.

They require that you are able to buckle the seatbelt yourself, and you have to have about an inch of slack.

Although the length of the belts can vary from seat to seat, and the enforcement can also vary greatly. Like the amount of slack required, and whether or not a ride op can assist you can very from visit to visit.

I'm going the first week in June myself but opted out of staying on site due to the high prices and low quality(from reviews) of the on-site hotels. Please don't flame me for my decision here but I decided I don't mind driving a longer distance back to my hotel for a better quality hotel that is cheaper than the hotels Cedar point offers. I've never stayed at any of them because this is my first trip but I might try them if I enjoy my trip enough to come back. I bought the platinum pass from Dorney that's close to me to use at Cedar Point and King's island so I get free parking and early entry without staying on site.

Not sure if you are going the same week I am but when I get back I'll try and post a review of the hotel I'm staying at which is the Fairfield inn in sandusky. It's about 20 minutes away from cedar point but it was only 85 a night and sounds nicer than most of the other hotels in the area but of course I won't know till I go there. I'm extremely excited though and glad to hear that lines shouldn't be to terribly bad(from the posts here). I'm already preparing myself for 2 hour lines for the major coasters, so if it ends up being worse or not as bad at least I'm prepared. I'm excited anyway I plan on spending 2 and a half days at both Cedar Point and King's island so I hope I'm able to ride everything at least once and a few extra rides on my favorites.

Good Luck with your trip, and like everyone else said if it is your dream then by all means try and stay on site, unless you are cheap like me than try Breakers express or stay off-site.

Anyway though if anyone has any kind of touring plan for the park PLEASE post one because I'm confused on what I should run to first when I get there since I want to ride everything! I'm most excited about Maverick and MF but not sure which I should head to first.