TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America Buccaneer Battle Media Day

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't seem like anyone has mentioned this...

On the second to last turn if the boat has to much weight one side the boats would buckle and snap to that side (Which made a clunking sound.) I saw it happen about five times and one of those times the boat behind me got stuck in that section for a few seconds...

I wonder if they will fix this somehow of just make sure the boats have the weight evenly distributed.

First off, great report!

While I been meh on these splash battle rides up to now, the theming on this one is crazy awesome! They really did a great job. It actually makes me more interested in tryin Dollywood's River Battle, since it's the closest one.

Way cool!

It's amazing how much they've done with this ride since we were there on May 3rd. All the theming just came out of nowhere.

This definitely looks like the king of splash battles, but my personal favorite is likely to remain the one at Walibi World.

Great pictures Cameron & Matt!

Looks like it was alot of fun! Really good theming! It almost looks like something you'd see at Islands of Adventure or something...

I love that the cannons are "free" too! I would have dropped a bunch of quarters anyways if they weren't!

The people dryers seem like a great idea! With those around I might even ride on the boat!

Wow, this ride looks great! When I first heard about Buccaneer battle I was like "meh, it's alright". But after seeing those pics and hearing great things about it, i'm actually looking forward to riding it the next time I go. Are there any lockers or bins outside the ride? I might actually use one so my electronics don't get wet. The theming of the ride looks great and I loved how the ride op booth was in the tower. Looks like Six Flags has a winner with Buccaneer Battle!

As per Dave. Anything with sharks is kick a$$.

Exactly! I enjoyed seeing all the hot shark action!

This looks really cool. I've seen these attractions at various parks, but have only only ridden the one at Dollywood, which was awesome fun. I do agree with Elissa that the height restriction is kind of lame, though.

And this is a MUCH better use of space than Deja Vu! Maybe SFMM will get a similar idea...

dt

^ I think they put the height restriction on the Press Pass. I'll have to look to confirm tonight.

The dryer is right out of the exit which is an upcharge.

Supposedly this version has a better capacity then the one at Dollywood, which will help.

In other SFGAm news, The Dark Knight has also seen some attention, and the capacity for that has been worked on as well.

What's really great about this ride is that it is, finally, an actual "family friendly" ride. The Wiggles, Thomas, and the Cartoon Network stuff is great for toddlers and 4 year olds, but parents who ride that do so only because they are looking after their kids. A ride like Buccaneer Battler (and Whizzer, mine trains and most flat rides) is that they can actually be *enjoyed* by the whole family .. young kids (5+ years old and even teenagers), as well as the parents.

Personally I'd love to see more rides like this, it's a gap that really needs to be filled. It looks like they tried to do this with The Dark Knight, but BB seems to succeed at it so much more.

Cameron.

^^This park has a lot of family rides. SFMM, SFA, and SFOG don't have that many. SFMM got rid of 3 family rides remember (Rotor, Baveryn Kurve & Tilt-A-Whirl).

I think all these parks need to work on the flats though. SFGAm has some really aging flat rides that I think should be replaced. The attendance for these flat rides isn't that high, and that is what's making the roller coasters so much more packed.

^^This park has a lot of family rides. SFMM, SFA, and SFOG don't have that many. SFMM got rid of 3 family rides remember (Rotor, Baveryn Kurve & Tilt-A-Whirl).

I think all these parks need to work on the flats though. SFGAm has some really aging flat rides that I think should be replaced. The attendance for these flat rides isn't that high, and that is what's making the roller coasters so much more packed.

Hit the nail on the head there. The only flat I saw busy during the entire Fright Fest was King Chaos. The day it was busy, it was 75+ degrees outside with no water rides, train or sky tower going. Even then, it was maybe a 30 minute wait. Everything else is walk-on to 15 minutes max.

Is that a bad thing? To me, it's a big part of the charm of the park. If you don't want to wait an hour or two for some of the coasters on busy days, you can spend the day riding great flat rides still.

I'd rather they keep the current line up then eliminate a bunch to get a couple big new ones.

I got the following email from Six Flags Great America regarding the height restriction:

The requirements for the ride are 48” or above can ride, *or* 36”-48” can ride with an adult.  No clue where the 42” thing came from.

Glad they are reading the forums and responded!

--Robb

Yeah, they updated the website! See, yet another example of parks actually DO read and respond to what is written in these forums! They don't always post here, but they DO read and react.

--Robb