TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Video Games

I was just playing Super Mario Brothers on the Super Nintendo. And I started thinking, this game is 20 years old. It came out when I was 9 or 10 and it's still awesome. I love the game. The kids love the game. Everybody I know loves the game. Hell, I have the Super Mario Brothers theme as my cell phone ring tone and anybody who hears it instantly knows what it is.

But then I started thinking about the games of today. Thinking if we will still be playing them in 20 years. Thinking if my Son will be 27 years old and want to play any of the games of today.

I just don't think any games of today are as memorable as those older games.

What does everybody think?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about todays games is that there are just so damn many of them.

I think console gmes will have a lager life that PC games will. There are games that came out not to long ago, but just wont run on newer operating systems. Only the popular games will really last, although I can't see someone playing Halo in 20 years. I think we will just have to wait 20 years to see.

Also something stupid about Half-life 2 and Steam. When you install half-life 2 it must be activated online. I highly doubt the Steam servers will be around in 20 years for people to activate their game. This is also true for all massive multiplayer games.

For every Mario/Zelda, there are 300 shit games for NES we'll never remember. I had Tom Sawyer, the video game. Do any of you remember that? Probably not, because it sucked.

My friend collects vintage NES games and every time I'm over at his apartment, he shows me some terrible random game like a guy on rollerblades killing frogs.

I believe that Super Mario for Super Nintendo came out in 1991, I'm sure Robb can provide more insite though! I was 9 or 10 at the time, but I don't think you were Gregg!!!

I still remember this day as if it was yesterday...our original nintendo had died and my dad said he would buy us a new one...then he comes home with the Super Nintendo instead, it was amazing! I knew it as soon as I ripped open the wrapping paper and saw the different controller. I can even remember exactly where I was standing!

Wow, I miss that thing! I think I'll hook it up tonight!

I agree... Certain games just kick ass...

I still remeber being up all night playing Legend of Zelda on my Super Nintendo. I still love that game to this day. I am a huge fan of all of the Zelda games.

The same with the Mario games. Some games just will always be good. Nothing beats pulling out your old system and playing them "old school"

I think I will go home and break out my Super Nintendo too and play some Legend of Zelda now.

Older games like Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania and a host of others weren't made to dazzle and wow us with realistic graphics and physics. They weren't made to draw us into a photorealistic world filled created by a supercomputer with a graphics chip. They were made simply to be fun. Period, end of story. I don't remember ever having a conversation about how good the graphics were when I was a kid. I just had a ton of fun playing the games, and could play them over and over and never get tired.

Nowadays, there's so much flash and very little substance in games. That's not to say all games, but most new ones, no doubt. Sure, there are new classics like Halo, the Grand Theft Auto series, God of War and a few others that I can play over and over, but I don't share the same memories as I do with the classic NES games I used to play. I was 13 when I got my first NES, and I still remember it like it was yesterday. I don't feel anything when thinking about the PS3 or the Xbox 360, or my PS2 and Xbox now. I still love games, but it seems like a lot of the fun factor has been replaced by flash, dazzle and a little bit of gameplay.

That's my 128mb's worth.

Justin

Some games will always be remembered as classics, some that deserve to be remembered even if they haven't been played have already been forgotten and some people won't even know them now. Games like Space War and the original ADVENT on the DEC PDP-1 helped mould a lot of the conventions taken for granted now.

I was more of a computer kid growing up rather than a console kid. Everyone had Sega Master Systems in the mid-80's here in the UK, hardly anyone had a NES (At least where I lived). I had an assortment of computers until I got a SNES when it launched. (After that I ended up going backwards and got a NES, a PC-Engine and other bits and pieces )

I still have fond memories of the early 80's home computer wars, playing games like Manic Miner and Horace goes Skiing... They were classics in their own way too.

I think a lot of console games will be remembered as classics, perhaps unfairly, whereas classic computer games will get forgotten, games like Civilisation, Wolfenstein 3D, Elite, Wing Commander, Little Computer People and others are pretty much forgotten even now despite the contributions they've made to gaming (with maybe Wolf 3D being the exception).

As for games now, I don't think there have been any games that cement themselves as classic since the end of the 16-bit era. The sense of innovation and imagination hasn't been as obvious since then, I think that's maybe because of the amount of money and manpower needed to produce a game since the evolution to 32-bit, especially on clunky to program systems like the Saturn, 3DO and Jaguar (64-bit ? kinda ). Because of the cost most games now are derivative clones, of course there is the occasional diamond.

That's not to say games aren't fun now cos they are, I just feel a lot of the love that games had has gone. Maybe that's just rose-tinted glasses.

So, in short, I expect some game franchises will still be remembered in 20 years time but I doubt if any individual titles from now will be remembered.

WOW, can I post without ranting ?........ someone needs to kick the crap out of me once I pass 5 or 6 lines

Just for note, between me and Bocakey, we now own 2 GBA SPs, a SNES, a PS1, a PS2, a Gamecube, a Dreamcast, an N64 and our 2 PCs... Not the BIGGEST list but if you'd have told me I'd own those in the early 90's I'd have died!!!!

Elissa, your referring to Super Mario World. I'm referring to Super Mario Brothers that was on NES. They released it on SNES with Super Mario Brothers 2 and 3 and some lost levels. It's actually called Super Mario All Stars.

Then why didn't you just say Super Mario All Stars!!! Sheesh!!!! For those of us true classic game enthusaists, Super Mario All Stars just doesn't cut it. You gotta play the original!

If you're going to hang with the rest of us in the geeky video game circle you gotta talk the talk or walk the walk!

--Robb "Super Mario Brothers was released for the Famicom on September 13, 1985" Alvey

^ Thanks for that.

I'm sorry ... sheesh ... I should have been more specific.

Back to my original query, I think 'some' games over the past 10 years will be considered classics. Certainly Command and Conquer, the Monkey Island Series and RCT games will still be played. Heck, the first Monkey Island was released when? Robb? (I'm too lazy to look it up)

Of course Call of Duty!!!

I also agree that too many games now are just about the latest and greatest graphics and aren't spending enough time on game-play or story. Games are supposed to be fun first and foremost, at least in my opinion.

But yeah, Super Mario All-Stars isn't the same, but it's the next best thing. The Super Mario Bros. had the most drastic changes, but I'm not sure if Super Mario Bros. 3 was changed that much.

Gregg "I passed Super Mario Bros. in about 35 minutes today (and that was with no warps)" C.

I do think there are some games that will

Grand theft auto, even with whats going on now, will stand

Gran tourismo is amazing still

and for anyone who's ever played the dreamcast game Soul Calibur

there still will be games, but I don't think anything will be as big as mario was

Mortal combat rocked on the NES and so did jurassic park.I belive I got it in 1996 as a christmas present when I was 3.Also the 1st nintendo was cool I used to love playin the game where you shoot the duck with that plastic red gun.I think that game was 2 games in 1?I think the other half was super mario bros.

Seriously Grand Theft Auto needs to die... It is a huge world sure... But everything in it is mediocre... How it gets so much acclaim is beyond me.

I think honestly the vast majority of games will be forgotten very quickly.

Metal Gear will long be remembered as the start of action movie style games. Damn that game was a ride the first time through.

Things like Rez will eventually be looked back at experiments that were great but never really went anywhere... Stupid gaming public...

Games like Psychonauts (buy it while you can this game rocks. PS2, X-box, or PC just buy it!!!) will be remembered for their insane stories and creative worlds that just weren't possible to create a few years ago.

Halo will eventually be remembered as the most overhyped FPS ever... Sadly people still won't admit it... Hello Half-Life 2 kills them completely...

Eventually someone will realize my opinions are always right... Heck yeah!!! Seriously on the Psychonauts front though. The game rocks. I bought it on PC and PS2. The PS2 one has a huge save file but hell it is still nice to play on the TV.

While I do like the new game systems. I still bring out and play my older systems from time to time. (I wish my Commodore 64 still worked). Its funny how I have my Xbox connected to our wide-screen TV with the Atari Collection game disc currently in the system. (Yeah, Adventure at 1080i). The Sega Dreamcast is connected to the other TV at the moment with Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (Eat my IOA line up (Hulk, Spiderman, and Dr Doom Mr. Computer)). I think that Halo 1 has really stood up very well these past few years....and my wife Leanne (as well as do I) love puzzle games (Metoes anyone?) but for some reason I keep going back to playing those old sprite games.

I don't think the games of today can even compare to the games released during the NES and Genesis and SNES time periods. I think the problem is that gaming has become too mainstream and there are just less and less different types of games out there. It seems like every game out now is either a sequel to a popular franchise or has a popular license to go along with the game. It annoys me to no end that games like Jet Set Radio Future on XBox won't even sell and people won't even take the game for free (when it was bundled with the XBox, many people bought the system, and traded the game in right before they even left the stores!) while a garbage game like Enter The Matrix can go on to sell over a million copies. Now it seems like games are graphics and popularity first and then good gameplay second. Other than some games like Katamari Damacy and DDR, there are very few games I will continue to play from this generation of gaming (PS2, XBox, Gamecube era).

I also don't like the way gaming is headed with these monopolies forming and not having the choice in games. It's the end of the summer and that means new football games. No longer can I have a variety to choose from because EA bought the rights to the NFL. I also think that will hurt gaming because with no competition, what reason is there for companies to improve quality. And this trend is only going to continue as it already happened with the MLB and somewhat with the NBA.

I actually find myself enjoying old sets of games on new systems like Midway Arcade Treasures, which has 24 old arcade games on 1 disc. That way I can enjoy the old games without having to have all my old systems hooked up.

Probaly one game for NES I will always remember is the Duck Hunt/Mario Bros. Me and my friends always goto each others houses and we play tournaments of that game. And has anyone else ever heard of or have Coleco Television because I have that and I haven't heard it around . I got it passed down from my dad and wow is that a box of fun.