TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wooden Coaster Challenge

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Alright. That's a bummer.

I know that this is just a contest held by some guy here on the forums, and I am not just talking about CCJared (understandable with a computer problem), or Xpress (this is the second one you have "dropped out") , but when you sign up for a contest, is it not right to at least TRY and finish a coaster? Everyone seems to drop out because they didn't have time to finish their coaster. I gave almost a month. How can you not have time to finish a coaster? I understand that some people have school, or jobs, but if you know that you have all of this stuff going on and are not going to be able to finish, why did you sign up in the first place?

Just my thoughts...

I never said I was dropping out. CCJared is the only one that has dropped sofar, and that was by uncontrollable occurences. I'm almost done with mine too

Also, about the time frame: Some people expect to have time, but you can never predict the future. Things may end up changing for them. A month could look excellent and wide open at first, but before they know it, more important things have filled up a lot of the time.

Ready!!!

I decided to go for the not so tall, not so long design style, as I know for experience the bigger is not always the better (please keep that in mind judges) LOL.

This coaster goes close to the ground for most of it's layout, has some nice pops of airtime, travels through the woods, and I find it to be really fun!!

No tools used.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did building it.

Mad_Wolf_Final.nltrack

^I thought that was pretty good! I liked the airtime on it and all the hills but I did not like the tightness of some of the helixes (high lats) and I really really did not like that hill going into the station. Good job, I know I am not a judge but I still wanted to voice my opinion.

^^ I have to say that that is a good rule, but should also have included AHG, since this is an NoLimits coaster competition and not a NoLimits tools competition. And using tools to create the tracks don't show the skills of constructing coaster in NoLimits.

Really? So basically a tool creates a perfect, interesting, original track every time? Does it hook up to my brain too and instantly complete the entire track?

You guys gotta get your heads outa your you know where. Tools dont make it a ton easier. It gives you a desired effect. Newton? Its NOT easy to create something realistic. I actually put far more work into my trackwork now than hand building. However, I can pull off a MUCH more realistic track. So much so you could never do with hand building.

And the AHG? It doesnt make anything better. Infact, if you input crap into it, youll get heartline crap out of it.

This debate is old and futile. And if youve ever been on a GCI, Intamin Plug and Play or a TGG, theres no way handbuilding will get you a ride even slightly resembling one of those. So whats the point in having a competition in which no ride will be realistic? Fantasy rides?

Anyway, rant over

^^ I have to say that that is a good rule, but should also have included AHG, since this is an NoLimits coaster competition and not a NoLimits tools competition. And using tools to create the tracks don't show the skills of constructing coaster in NoLimits.

Really? So basically a tool creates a perfect, interesting, original track every time? Does it hook up to my brain too and instantly complete the entire track?

You guys gotta get your heads outa your you know where. Tools dont make it a ton easier. It gives you a desired effect. Newton? Its NOT easy to create something realistic. I actually put far more work into my trackwork now than hand building. However, I can pull off a MUCH more realistic track. So much so you could never do with hand building.

And the AHG? It doesnt make anything better. Infact, if you input crap into it, youll get heartline crap out of it.

This debate is old and futile. And if youve ever been on a GCI, Intamin Plug and Play or a TGG, theres no way handbuilding will get you a ride even slightly resembling one of those. So whats the point in having a competition in which no ride will be realistic? Fantasy rides?

Anyway, rant over

You have 2 options...

To enter the contest or to NOT enter the contest!

I dont use any tools and my rides are realistic. You said it right the debate and old and frutile so why carry it on?

And if youve ever been on a GCI, Intamin Plug and Play or a TGG, theres no way handbuilding will get you a ride even slightly resembling one of those.

You can come pretty close with the GCI if you've been on a good number of them, and know how they build them pretty well. Intamin or TGG OTOH, yeah, I'm not even going to try by hand.

BAH, need to finish up the ledger work!!! Then add in more banking supports..

You can come pretty close with the GCI if you've been on a good number of them

Eh, Id disagree. Have you ever noticed how intricate their transitions are? Most of them are taken with very small leadins aka sharp transitions. Its smooth, yes but very short. Then theres the issue where they use a lot of banked hills and on top of that, banked airtime transitions. By hand, just so hard to get just right.

GCI is a weird breed. Their rides are unique in many ways when compared to others. Id almost venture to say TGG are easier to hand build than GCI but thats a toss up too. GCI's tend to be smaller and more intricate which means smaller, tighter transitions.

Gotta understand the kind of perfectionist I am here...lol. It cant just look and feel right, it literally has to be right.

^Yes, I know. Some of their hills have so fast of a lead-in that it almost feels like there is no lead-in.

Banked hills aren't all that hard to make. I've done it quite a number of times actually. It just takes some time in the sim.

Also, isn't freddies supposedly perfect GCI all 100% handbuilt?

Ill have to look it up.

Its not the banked hill itself, its all the transitions. If you supply no lead in, then its too sharp. Too much, and its not the right thing.

I hand built up till virtually last year. I was one of the last ones. I used AHG, but since the AHG will only magnify your mistakes I dont count it as a tool. Ive seen what the AHG does to a good and bad track. Its not a "fixer" its a "multiplier" If good goes in, great comes out. If crap goes in, really crap comes out.

So dont worry I understand the tool debate. I was on the other side for a long time. However, once I realized what I wanted to do wasnt capable by hand...thats when I started to learn.

EDIT - Is freddie on another site? CoasterCrazy? He doesnt have a GCI out...only PTC's.

Freddie is SFNERules from CoasterSims. He's doen with the track work I believe and he's currently hand supporting the ride. It's the best GCI i've seen built in NoLimits personally. His track work is "snappy" but not unrealisticly. I believe he intensively studdied the shaping of GCIs in his coaster. Now i've only been on Troy so I can't really say for all GCIs, but his really replicates their style. Here's some pics on his NLDC:

http://www.nolimitsdevcenter.net/p4436

Hows the terrain invert coming along Anthony?

ahh, SFNERules! I cant keep everyones different aliases straight. I still dont think its possible. Talk to Dcs or someone else with a fair bit of knowledge of math and such. Itll prolly look or feel close but not close enough. And hes a good builder, I know that. But the trick with GCI is they use a fair bit of constant radius hills/turns and so you gotta have a transition thats under 5ft long, but enter and exit into a constant radius thatll then shrink or get larger depending on the situation. In most cases I feel it stays the same but changes vertically.

Well, it may actually get finished. I found the 3dMAx Scene file dug away in an old harddrive. So I can actually continue on it. But Im working one project at a time now.