TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coasters in the RAW 3 & Coaster Expedition Vol 12

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, geez. I'm wrong. Your right. So sorry I got my facts mixed up.

Because, you know, it's matters SOOOOO much when the video was shot.

You know I'm pretty sure you're the one that said "it was probably shot in its opening year." He was clearly just making harmless conversation with a valid observation, not trying to challenge your sacred roller-coaster knowledge. I'm sure "coasterfan4444" could have responded for himself but that was pretty rude and unnecessary.

Ahhhhhh ... Hercules. When I first rode it (the year that it opened), as we crested the lift hill, my thoughts were, "this is going to be awesome." When I rode it during its last season, my thoughts shifted to, "Oh god. This is going to hurt."

Hercules is one of the worst coasters I have been on. The turn after the first drop was brutal and is one of the only coasters to give me a headache. I rode in 2000 so that might be why since I hear when it first opened it was a much better ride.

Hydra may not be a top tier ride but it is still a lot better than Hercules was.

I rode Hercules in it's second season; the first drop was incredible at the time. The train was really moving before it hit the drop and the speed was just incredible down the hill (no trims). The first drop of El Toro reminds me a lot of the first drop of Hercules. (only speed and acceleration, we won't talk about smoothness) Then came the banked turnaround and to this day I have no idea how such a large radius, banked turn can be so horribly rough. The train shuffled and banged it's way through so badly that your brain hurt. After that I remember not caring much about the rest of the layout since all you could think about is your head and back hurting from the shaking. It's the only coaster I've ever ridden that consistently gave me a headache every time I rode it. It was a huge ride for it's day but obviously the designers and no clue about how to build track properly. And it had nothing to do with the PTC trains; even the slow sections were rough and I've been on very smooth PTC equipped coasters.

I think it got to the point where the bottom of the first drop wasn't too far away from riding Son of Beast's helixes. It's sad that my favorite part was probably its most original, truest portion of the ride left; the prelift. The 2nd half of the ride was built for that 10-15 feet they removed from the return trip back up the hill after the turn over the pond. My classic story is that I beat the side of the train like a jockey on the turnaround up by the station. The last 10 feet or so of banking on that turn became a joke because there simply wasn't any speed anymore for it.

I think the hill is cursed. I'm not too crazy for Hercules or Hydra.

I think it got to the point where the bottom of the first drop wasn't too far away from riding Son of Beast's helixes. It's sad that my favorite part was probably its most original, truest portion of the ride left; the prelift. The 2nd half of the ride was built for that 10-15 feet they removed from the return trip back up the hill after the turn over the pond. My classic story is that I beat the side of the train like a jockey on the turnaround up by the station. The last 10 feet or so of banking on that turn became a joke because there simply wasn't any speed anymore for it.

I think the hill is cursed. I'm not too crazy for Hercules or Hydra.

Agreed. Hydra is a nice coaster, but my least favorite floorless out there. The area seemed like it presented the perfect opportunity for a great floorless coaster, but I just feel like it misses the mark.

I really did like Hercules in its first few seasons, as it was a pretty intense ride.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone! We have just posted another segment from Roller Coasters in the Raw Volume 3! This DVD is available at the TPR Store:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/store/

Let me just take a moment to remind everyone about something. Theme Park Review runs completely ad free, no pop-ups, no banners, and as we keep adding new features to the site the server fees keep growing! Please remember that making a purchase from the TPR Store helps keep this site running ad free! (And we would like to keep it that way!)

TPR DVDs are still only $10 each and our T-Shirts are $8. Please help support Theme Park Review! The last thing we ever want on this site are pop-up ads!

And now...for you Schwarzkopf lovers...The Bullet from Flamingoland!

I still say that The Bullet is the most crazy Schwarzkopf coaster I have ever been on. The amazing design that allowed this shuttle loop to do what it did in a very, VERY small amount of space was absolutely stunning. Check it out....add your comments below!

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=bullet_0imn[/coastertube]

From "Roller Coasters in the Raw Volume 3" - This 2-Disc DVD features roller coasters than have been closed, demolished, or re-located. Re-live more than 50 "historic" roller coasters on Roller Coasters in the RAW Volume 3!

Theme Park Review thanks you for your support!

--Robb Alvey

www.themeparkreview.com

I never made it to Flamingoland until 2006. I'm so gutted that I never got to ride The Bullet. It just looks insane!

Hopefully one day someone will get it back up and running, although I hear the running and upkeep costs got prohibitive. Still, we can hope!

Until then I'll enjoy the video! Thanks!

Hopefully one day someone will get it back up and running, although I hear the running and upkeep costs got prohibitive. Still, we can hope!

What the park explained to me at one point is that in order for the ride to be installed at the park, a section of track from both spikes needed to be removed to comply with planning permission.

The ride had to be shut down for 2-3 hours each day because as it warmed up, it got a bit faster and started to get closer to the end of the spike!

(I'm not making this up!)

So the coaster had an operating schedule that was usually something like 10am - 12pm, then 2pm - 4pm. (If memory serves correctly)

It was a real annoyance to have one of the parks "star attraction" closed mid-day. And often times this ride had a 30-45 minute line, so that really meant that you could only line up for it between 10am - 11:15am.

I understand that as being the main cause for it's removal.

--Robb