TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Diamondback and Pilgrim's Plunge

I could be wrong, but wasn't the original date for completion supposed to be in June?

Holiday World is pretty good about things being ready on opening day, so I doubt that. I do know that a June date is being tossed around for the holliwatch program which still isn't even anywhere on the grounds in public view.

According to their website, that project will not happen this year. The company went out of business.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They desprately need play and spray water cannons, which I'm told they are adding this week. Woo Hoo!

^THAT is going to be freakin awesome. I'm there dude! Most fun ever for a quarter!

Great trip report, Erik! Now I need to ride The Voyage with Santa!

-Brad

When I was in Busch Gardens Africa, I spent about 3 dollars soaking people. And I rode the Voyage with Santa last year.....

Awesome picture! I spent about the same soaking people at IOA last year. Water cannons bring out the evil in me....

Great report Erik. Sorry I couldn't meet up with all you kids on Sunday. Wife made me dig a pond in our backyard.

Looking forward to plunging at Holiwood Nights.

d

Wow! I must say this has to be one of the best Kings Island PTR's I have ever seen! Excellent photos! I think the park has really changed for the better under Cedar Fair (all the former Paramount Parks have). I see a bright future for Kings Island and the rest of them. The Holiday World section was good too. Great job!

By the way, this is really pumping me up for my rides on Firehawk, Diamondback and, again, with the Beast when I go out there this August!

Erik, great TR and pics!

Did you guys stay near Cincinnati for the trip or stay close to the Holiday World? Did you find that 2 to 3 days was enough for both parks with travel in between?

Have a great weekend,

J

We stayed right near Kings Island the whole time (5 miles away). Holiday World is a bit of a drive from here (around 3 hours one way), but we felt it was easier to just have one hotel as our base. We also wanted to be some what close to the airport in Dayton, since its much cheaper to fly into there. Plus all the hotel rates were very very high around Louisville since the Kentucky Derby going on the same weekend. It would probably be better to find a hotel around Louisville if you can after visiting KI. Lousiville is only 1 hour away from Holiday World, plus you have SFKK nearby as well as a 2 hour drive to Bowling Green for Beech Bend.

^ An added culture credit that's worth seeing if you've never been is Mammoth Cave National Park. Not too far from Bowling Green, KY. Just FYI...

I suggest doing the Wild Cave Tour at Mammoth, but that's going to eat up an entire day. Still, it's a great experience that will definitely test your strength, stamina, fear of heights, as well as ability to deal with EXTREME claustrophobia.

I also agree with Erik that Louisville is a great home base to do all these parks because it's centrally located, has cheap hotels, decent roads, a reasonable amount of dining options, etc.

Great Photo TR can't wait to go to King's Island in 3 weeks now, great to hear they seem to have good operations except for Firehawk(though that may have something to do with the coaster it's self and not park operations). Seems you got on every ride in one day so I'm sure I shouldn't have a problem getting atleast one ride or more each in 3 days. I hope Cedar Point is somewhat similar in their operations though their crowd level tends to be much higher than King's island. (This will be my first trip to both parks for those interested)

^ An added culture credit that's worth seeing if you've never been is Mammoth Cave National Park. Not too far from Bowling Green, KY. Just FYI...

I suggest doing the Wild Cave Tour at Mammoth, but that's going to eat up an entire day. Still, it's a great experience that will definitely test your strength, stamina, fear of heights, as well as ability to deal with EXTREME claustrophobia.

I also agree with Erik that Louisville is a great home base to do all these parks because it's centrally located, has cheap hotels, decent roads, a reasonable amount of dining options, etc.

Don't forget Dinosaur World! It's awesome! My kids love it.

Oh, and they have a few mountain slides in the area as well that are pretty cool.

Outstanding TR!

I was at HW on Sat (5/9) and PP seemed to be having the usual Intamin inaugural breaking-in pains. I didn't see a boat go down for the 2 hours I hung around Thanksgiving (or all day for that matter). It looked like the mechanism that pushes the boat from the platform onto the drop was having issues. We saw a few loaded boats go up. Stay at the top for about 5 minutes, and then come back down the tower. Then the ride went down. It was kind of cool the way the drop looks as they shut the water off. I was in line when it went down. I went back later when I saw the water was back on, but the same problem happened again during testing and it went down again. I didn't stick around for it to come back up.

Edit: A guy at work just told me it ran flawlessly all day the next day. Figures.

No worries though, I'll be back a ton of times this season. And the new PP area is absolutely beautiful. They nailed it...just as your TR showed.