TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How well do you handle hangtime?

Well, I usually handle it quite badly...

As soon as I'm hanging by the restraint (airtime not counted, btw), my fear of heighths/falling kicks in, and I start to panic.

But, I have never had this problem on some rides, like on Sequoia Advneture, or Extasy (prater)....

How about you?

Vid

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I've never been on anything close to sequoia adventure, that's just freaking nuts, but I find hang time actually makes the ride more exciting to me, especially in Riddler's loop, the feeling of standing up and starting to fall out is just one that I love. Hell hangtime in Scream's loop immediately bumped up what I think about the ride

My fear of heights kicks in when a ride has hangtime. Like the former S:UE/Steel Venom at Geauga Lake really made me uncomfortable during the holding brake. X-Flight induced quite a bit of fear when riding. It was still enjoyable, but falling into the restraint was always a heart pounding experience.

The only single ride I have ever feared for my life on was Sky Screamer at Pleasurewood Hills, kinda like a Ghetto Looping Starship, the restraints always had about 6 inches of movement when you were being held upside down, and you were always held upside down for what seemed like an eternity......luckily, it has all gone now, never never again!!!!

Coaster hang time doesn't scare me.

Flight Commander, the old Intamin flight trainer ride at Kings Island, had HORRIFYING hang time.

You fell against the restraints so hard when you would do the barrel rolls.

I personally love hangtime. For me it takes second place to air time. The sensation of falling against the restraint just makes a ride so much more thrilling to me. This is why one of my favorite flat rides are Intamin Looping Starships.

I don't get scared of hangtime, but it can be uncomfortable depending on the type of restraint. The launched X-Car in Amsterdam (I forget the name) had some cool airtime, but the single lapbar made it a little uncomfortable, whereas things like eurofighters that have quite a bit of hangtime in their lovely circular loops are quite comofortable

OMG, the Circus Hoppala ride in Prater was awful!

I had like 3 inches between my chest and the restraint, and 4 inches between my shoulders and the top of the restraint, whereas my thighs were pinned down by the lower part of the restraint.

I was hanging by my thighs mostly, and it hurt like hell.

I really love hangtime---almost as much as airtime!

In fact, when going through a large vertical loop, if hangtime isn't experienced at the top, I tend to come out of it with a feeling disappointed. (Such as Wildfire at SDC...now THAT would be some great hangtime!)

Hangtime is not my favorite, but I don't mind it so much if there's something besides the restraint to hold on to and/or seperate and redundant restraints. So, basically, I'm not too fond of, "If this restraint fails right now, I die."

I kind of get that uneasy feeling on drop towers, too. Probably because I usually have that same thought about the seat.

It's the reasons most restraints must be pushed down on before they will open up.... Precaution against restraint failure.

Traditionally, yes. But many new rides that create hangtime on purpose don't utilize that particular precaution--such as Gerstlauer's Eurofighters.

If you can get the right seat on a Vekoma Flyer...there's an awesome part at the top of the loop where you will fall into your restraint. I think that's so much fun!

I agree, Vekoma flyers can give a lot of hangtime. Not really a fan of it though.

I love hangtime. Especially on Deja. Makes me feel not so large. Even though i'm not. I don't like the "hang" time on the hill on X2 when sitting in the front seat. Not that it scares me. Its just so boring. IMO. I LOVE Tatsu's view when going over the hill. One of my favorites.

Hang-Time is great. Some are scared, some panic, some hold on, and others stick their hands up and enjoy it. You can probably guess which one I am. I think my favorite moment of hang-time is on X2. You come off of the lift hill, down and up the "pre-drop" and then while going down, you start to flip over and for a couple seconds, you're hanging down face-first with nothing to hold onto except your OTSR, but why hold on! I love that part of the ride so much, that it makes X2 my favorite coaster out of 75, and it wins for best hang-time, coaster moment, and coaster element.

The only ride that scares me a little bit from hang time is the Phoenix at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. all you have a a small harness that comes down to my mid chest (and im only 5'7") and than a huge fricken lap bar that may or may not realease pressure (and when it does its like 2" off your lap. Its still a ride I ride every time when I go!

Heres a good video that shows how long it holds you up-side-down!!!

I love it, unless it's the case of Berserker at King's Dominion

Anaconda has some of the best, on those slow corkscrews.

Berserker, on the other hand, giant lapbar smashed into your baby-maker, and a little u-shaped shoulder harness, OUCH. Especially when it swings and extra time and hangs you for about 10 seconds.

Well, I usually handle it quite badly...

As soon as I'm hanging by the restraint (airtime not counted, btw), my fear of heighths/falling kicks in, and I start to panic.

But, I have never had this problem on some rides, like on Sequoia Advneture, or Extasy (prater)....

How about you?

Vid

On my opening day ride on Dominator last month my restraint was a few clicks looser than normal & I got some major hangtime in the loop but I didn't really have any fear of falling out of the train,now that doesn't necessarily mean that I don't prefer a tighter restraint however because I do.