TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How well do you handle hangtime?

I don't have a problem with the brief moment of hangtime you get on some roller coasters when going through an inversion at low speed. However, I don't like rides that just stop and hold you upside down. It's not because I worry the restraint will fail, but because I find it uncomfortable to be suspended like that. I also tend to feel unwell after being suspended in an inverted position for more than a couple seconds.

It's not the same, but I also really like the hanging sensation on a diving machine at the top of the drop. The dive certainly looks a lot bigger when you're looking down from the top.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like hangtime, but I like surprise moments of hangtime most of all, acting almost like upside-down airtime. For example, the front three rows on Tatsu give a nice sensation of being dropped into the restraints as it enters the pretzel loop.

The thing that bothers me most about the sensation is not my life, but my loose articles. Although I really like the hangtime toward the front on Tatsu, I rarely ride up there, and choose the back instead, simply because I always fear I will loose something.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as I am firmly in the restraints it doesn't bother me. When I was in China a few years ago on a frisbee the restraint had a little bit of play, maybe only a 1/4 of an inch but when you hit the top of the arc, you would fall against the restraint and it would move a little. I was a little scared on that ride even though there was a secondary seat belt securing the restraint.

Stand-up hangtime is my favorite, like the top of Chang's vertical loop. That was my very first inversion on a roller coaster, and I'll never forget that feeling of floating while standing up, upside down, 120 feet in the air. It left quite a lasting impression

I usually try to avoid rides that stall upside down for an extended period of time, like the Fireball carnival rides, Top Spins, etc; or rides that have really strong negative g-s, like Chaos or Power Surge, because they give me a headache. I make an exception for the Rock-O-Plane, though, because I know I'm in complete control of how long I stay upside-down.

Some other rides that offer some nice hangtime but are friendly to my sinuses: V2 and Superman Ultimate Flight at SFDK. When sitting in the front row on the first and third launch forward, you get some awkward diagonal/overbank hangtime. On S:UF, you get full on, butt off the seat hangtime with lapbar only...not going to lie, that was quite a freaky moment! But knowing that there is no way to actually slip out kept me at ease, and allowed me to keep my hands up! Again it's easy on my sinuses since you're only completely inverted for a split second. It's where I like to just let my body relax and be ragdoll-like going through.

The barrel roll at the end of Daredevil Dive at SFOG is really cool with just a lapbar holding you in, probably my favorite part of the ride.

Also, don't mean to go off topic, but did you seriously break your wrist on a Vekoma ride, SingleRiderCam?

I don't have a problem with the brief moment of hangtime you get on some roller coasters when going through an inversion at low speed. However, I don't like rides that just stop and hold you upside down. It's not because I worry the restraint will fail, but because I find it uncomfortable to be suspended like that. I also tend to feel unwell after being suspended in an inverted position for more than a couple seconds.

Agreed. I've never had such a problem on a roller coaster, but a ride on The Crypt at Kings Island (Top Spin, formerly Tomb Raider) was one of the most painful amusement park rides I've ever had. There was an oft-repeated, very slow flipping motion with the riders' heads pointing straight down -- it was quite the unpleasant rush of blood to the head.

I love hang time. There's such an awesome feeling going over the top on a Maurer Skyloop with both hands in the air.

I have however had a bad experience once on a booster ride, but that was due to very bad and minimalistic restraints.

I've never had such a problem on a roller coaster, but a ride on The Crypt at Kings Island (Top Spin, formerly Tomb Raider) was one of the most painful amusement park rides I've ever had.

+1

I'm not sure I ever want to ride a Top Spin again after that. Maybe I'd go on one if it had a different ride cycle.

I personally love the hangtime I get while riding Vekoma flyers. I love the sensation it gives you. I feels like your body's weight is going to break the vest restraint, which can be really scary for certain people. I love hangtime , and agree with the person who was talking about Chang's vertical loop. When I rode GL at SFGAdv. this past summer, I loved the hangtime in the vertical loop.

I remember having a great feeling of hangtime on The Ring of Fire at the fair when I was little. there was also this other ride from the fair that gave me plenty of airtime, I think the manufacturer of it was the Fabbri Group, but I could be wrong. I remember the one I rode was called the Samurai, but there are similar models called Kamikaze, and Skymaster, but the Samurai gave me plenty of hangtime for a fair ride.

I've been on 3 coasters with some hangtime

Manhatten Express, Oh I'm sorry "Roller Coaster"

V2.5 at SFDK

and S:UF also at SFDK

I usually handle it pretty well, and enjoy it. But every once in a while, my imagination take over and starts to display irrational scenes.

S:UF is really of what I've seen the ultimate in hang time in my opinion when you're in that slow roll and you're just (seemingly) literally hanging by your kees upside down, it's great.

Medusa actually is the only one that always seems to make me uneasy on my first ride of the day because the OTSR's have more play than anything else I've ridden, there seems to be a good several inches of play so when the forces change it can at first make you feel like your restraint is unlocked until it hits and reminds you its still locked. Ive had that on every ride in every row on both trains, I wonder if they've always been like that, or if it's just the position theyre in when I'm in the seat and people of different sizes don't experience that.

• 1 month later...

Funny that no one mentioned Steel Venom at Valleyfair, after the second run through the station you hang at the top of the tower for a couple seconds (front seat) staring at the ground knowing if those restraints let go you would be done.

Almost the same coaster at CP is Wicked Twister yet it doesn't hold you at the top after going through the station the second time.