TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How well do you handle hangtime?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta take back what I said, kinda... There was one of these inverting rides at Wild Adventures, can't remember the name or exact model. It was a couple arms with spokes; the seats at the ends of the spokes spun around in all directions. Very similar to the Power Surge at Knoebels (which I still haven't ridden.) Anywho, the shoulder bars didn't have the seatbelt connecting the seat to the harness. I remember looking all over for some sort of belt, and couldn't find one! I was flipped all over the place and all I could think was "it would really suck if this opened up!"

I love it when I get some hang time on coasters, or rides that have a back up seat belt - but this thing terrified me! It was a weird set up as well - the ride was adjacent to another ride and the control panels were right next to each other. The park was dead and the ride op just went to whichever ride someone came up to.

The half loop lift hill on g-force at Drayton Manor has some interesting hang time, the lift hills on the bigger B&M flyers can be interesting, then you've got the initial drop on the Wing Riders which in the front leaves you feeling quite vulnerable for a few seconds. Does the final barrel roll on Blue Fire count as hang time or upside down ejector? Stunt Fall really made me think of all the nasty things that could happen if the restraints failed, and I couldn't quite get over this when riding Deja Vu. You really could go on and on, but yes I enjoy hang time

They held it upside down

I never rode a Ring Of Fire but loved the HUSS Ranger or Weber Traumboot. Still remember one carnival operator who had the Ranger upside down, switched off all lights on the ride and then said to "collect all the money thats falling out".

Sadly these rides are mostly gone today and modern inversion rides either don't stop upside down anymore or have OTSRs - what a fun-killer!

I remember riding a Rock-o-Plane at a fair some years ago. That thing was crazy fast and absolute nuts. Being upside down at the bottom of the ride with nothing but a thin steel lap bar to hold you in your seat gives some insane hangtime.

One of my favorite non-coaster rides are the S&S Sky Swatters. I have been on both of them and I think they are really good rides, and gives a very unique experience.

I've been on 3 coasters with some hangtime

Manhatten Express, Oh I'm sorry "Roller Coaster"

V2.5 at SFDK

and S:UF also at SFDK

I usually handle it pretty well, and enjoy it. But every once in a while, my imagination take over and starts to display irrational scenes.

They held it upside down

I never rode a Ring Of Fire but loved the HUSS Ranger or Weber Traumboot. Still remember one carnival operator who had the Ranger upside down, switched off all lights on the ride and then said to "collect all the money thats falling out".

Sadly these rides are mostly gone today and modern inversion rides either don't stop upside down anymore or have OTSRs - what a fun-killer!

Sounds like a ride op I remember from years ago, probably 2000 ish, from SFGAdv...back when I still loved that park, and it still had flat rides. I got in a ride on their Top Spin with my father and brother; best top spin ride I've ever had. The ride op actually had it in manual mode (how often do you see -that- at a SF park) and really had fun with it. It took a few moments to get the ride started since one person had trouble fitting into their restraints; the ride op explained it away, "Sorry for the delay, I had to wait for the nurse to get here. They won't let me start the ride without her. Not really fair, they don't do that with the other ride operators...I wonder why..." then just went nuts with the ride. I can't say I remember how many flips we got in on that thing, but I know I've never come close since, and the entire time the ride op was just going on and on, teasing riders, then went into a story about...I don't remember what now, some silly fictional charity idea he had, at which point he asked if anyone wanted to make a donation to it, lifted the ride up to top point upside down, and started to shake it back and forth; accompanied, of course, by a rain of change to the platform. One of the most memorable rides I've ever had on a flat. The guy was creative, too; we stuck around and watched a couple other rides after, and he wasn't just repeating lines or giving the same ride every time, he seemed to be actually just making it up as he went every time. Really need more ride ops like that guy.

Sadly, the next time I made it to SFGAdv, the ride was running a weak pro-grammed run, and the last two times, it hasn't been running at all.

I love hangtime, actually. However my sinuses disagree with me and absolutely hate it.often my face feels pressurized like my sinus cavities are going to explode.

Bonus points if your butt leaves the seat (like on an Intamin looping starship). Speaking of, that ride (Endeavor/Revolution at CGA) gives me the most hangtime. Often my butt is several inches off the seat. thighs smashing into lapbar and shoulders digging into OTSR. Sometimes it will balance inverted for several seconds. Not sure what the longest stall record was though for it.

The Hangtime in Batman: The Chillers top hat was awesome. I love it.

I also love all those crazy a$$ flat rides that hold you in all sorts of weird positions.

The only kind of hang time that gets me, is on Boomerangs during the pull back, and rides like Power Surge, when you're not hanging upside down, but more so 90* pointing the ground. But it's still awesome.

Buzzsaw at Dreamworld gives some awesome hangtime, especially since it has side-hinged (?) lapbars and not OTSRs. I never feel like I'm going to fall out but there is definitely some air between my backside and the seat.

I love hangtime. It's one of my favorite aspects on a coaster after airtime and the out of control feeling. I love the hangtime you get on DejaVu, the corkscrews on Viper, and I know everyones gonna disagree with me on this, but I think that there's some really good hangtime on the inline twists on a Volare. Surprisingly, I wasn't that thrilled by the hangtime on Sequoia Adventure. I mean, it was there, but it also got old fast and just bored me.

Last roller coaster hangtime I can remember is Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia. That barrel roll out of the tunnel was amazing because of how steady it went through it. I did feel some pressure on my sides and me having to support myself when it rolled back on its upward side, but that wouldn't keep me from re-riding it.

No coaster in normal operation hang time (ie not get stuck in loops) can compare with Feng Shen Coaster. It's pause in tr loop while the train falls onto its upstop pads and then shudders forwards until it falls back onto its wheels is like nothing I've ever felt... and it was awesome.

Im surprised nobody has mention vortex hangtime in the corkscrews your upside-down for like 3 seconds and it only goes like 20 mph their and it makes you feel like a washmachine rag doll. Also the hangtime on Diamondback going up the second hill is awesome . Does the Beast lift hill count cause it only goes like 2 mph and at the top you have hangtime for like 6 seconds.

I'm completely cool with hangtime if there's redundant restraint system.

Basically, I would be okay with hangtime on a B&M looping coaster because you have a locked restraint as well as a redundant belt so that the restraint can't open very far if it unlocks.

For whatever reason hang time has never scared me, I just find it funny. The two big moments this past year that come to mind happened on Steel Hawg and then X-flight in the front row. Both rides had me cracking up with their awkward hang time moments and I loved ever second of it.

I don't mind a few seconds of hangtime, I just don't like it to the point where my head feels like it's going to blow up. The Happy Valley parks in China all had these flat rides that looked like some sort of Orbiter type fast spinning fair ride. We didn't realize until riding (parks were dead, rides mostly only ran when a good chunk of people were filling up), that while spinning the arms slowly lifted until completely upside down and spun like that for well over a minute. It was excruciating.

I haven't ridden many coasters with hang time, but I have ridden a lot of flats with hang time. My first ride on Phoenix at Busch Gardens was when I was seven, and I will say that it was terrifying. I've never been afraid of hang time since then, but then again I haven't experienced mentionable hang time on any coaster. I think the in-line twist on Superman at SFDK looks like it has pretty awesome hang time though!