TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

B&M Rattle?

rct3josh

Exactly how bad would you think B&M rattle would be?

Here in Taiwan, I rode Insane Speed at Janfusun and it had a little bit of headbanging in the second flat spin.

But on Scream! at SFMM, the Zero-G was just plain rough for me (maybe not Arrow/Vekoma rough) but maybe I just haven't been on enough B&Ms to know how smooth a B&M should be.

Are other B&M looping coasters much smoother than Scream! and Riddler and whatnot? Or is "Scream!" pretty much what you should expect from a B&M looper?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scream is easily the WORST B&M I have ever been on. I come off that ride every time with a splitting headache. And its not even from headbanging, its from the terrible rattle the ride has (at times it feels like a wood coaster its so bad).

pretty much what you should expect from a B&M looper

No.

Personally, Scream! doesn't bother me at all. There is a vibration at the bottom of the first drop (rumor has it that the track piece was dropped during construction, but I don't know if that rumor is true).

Though I haven't ridden it, I've heard that Iron Wolf at SFGAm is pretty rough. But it's 20 years old and was B&M's first official coaster. Vortex at CGA ain't exactly smooth, either. (Note that both of those are first-generation B&M standups...)

Eric

Iron Wolf is rough beyond belief. It is ok before the flatspin, but from there it just plain hurts. To give you a hint on how rough, the ride ops tell you were to put your head. Even then, anyone I know gets a headache and needs to take a long break.

Though I haven't ridden it, I've heard that Iron Wolf at SFGAm is pretty rough. But it's 20 years old and was B&M's first official coaster. Vortex at CGA ain't exactly smooth, either. (Note that both of those are first-generation B&M standups...)

I agree that Vortex is absolutely terrible. There aren't many steel coasters that hurt me to the point of where I can not stand to ride, but Vortex is one of them. I've always wanted to ride a Togo stand-up just to see if one is as bad as Vortex. Too bad Shockwave was closed when I was at Kings Dominion last year.

Though I haven't ridden it, I've heard that Iron Wolf at SFGAm is pretty rough.

Last time I rode Iron Wolf it cracked me in the temple before evening entering the first drop. I spent the rest of the ride pretty woozy.

Iron Wolf is the roughest B&M, still a great ride though.

I've always wanted to ride a Togo stand-up just to see if one is as bad as Vortex.

The one Togo standup ive been on (Canada's Wonderland) was suprisingly really smooth and an overall awesome ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me, or is Kumba very rough? I know it's getting old, but the cobra roll and flat spins seems unusually rough. And even The Tunnel feels shaky.

Also, maybe I have amnesia or something, but a good bit of Alpengeist being VERY rough.

^I personally found no roughness in Kumba. While I did find some laterals in both the cobra roll and corkscrews, I never found the ride itself rough at all.

Medusa at SFDK wasn't rough at all if I remember.

The only part of Silver Star that is rough is the bottom of the drop.

Alpengiest was rough, but not brutal and painful.

Riddler's Revenge was very smooth

As was Batman: The Ride.

Griffon is the smoother coaster I've ever been on

Apollo's Chariot was also very smooth

Those are just the main ones that stand out in my mind. But no, when I think of B&M, I think of how smooth they usually are.

--James

Definitely Iron Wolf. The first time I rode it (about a year ago) it was actually pretty smoth but the next time I rode it (in the back, BIG MISTAKE) My head was banged to pieces. I actually felt the most roughness on the loop and the parts before the flatspins. The parts from the flatspin to the end weren't as bad actually

Iron Wolf really is the roughest B&M I've been on. That said, I think it has a great layout and I love it's location, surrounded by all those trees. I think Iron Wolf is a great candidate for Six Flags next re-themed ride. New trains, a repaint, and maybe a tunnel with strobes and fog could do wonders for this ride.

Batman though, every time it flips you upside down it "jerks" you. It's like a sudden. Don't know if that would be considered "B&M rattle" though.

Nope. That would be "B&M design at its finest". They intentionally designed that sharp "whip" on their corkscrews.

At least on the older, intensity-filled ones, they did.

• 3 weeks later...

Scream is perfectly smooth, I rode it 35 times in 2 days and didn't think it was as horrible as everyone thinks, Its one of my favorite coasters. on the other hand Iron Wolf is not such a good ride, I think Mantis is worse though!

And yes, Tatsu does have a bit of B&M Rattle at the bottom of the pretzal loop for sure

I would generally agree with everyone about Scream, but when I was there last week it ran as smooth as I have ever seen it. It was almost as smooth as Medusa at SFDK. I couldn't believe it!

As for the old B&M stand ups, they are rough.