TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFoT - May 2nd - Severe Weather closes park

I arrived at the park today at 5:30 just as a severe storm was rolling in. I have a season pass and parking and was aware the rides were probably closed and might not open again but I figured I'd take a chance.

Well after riding out a downpour, much lightning and a tornado warning for two hours with park announcements asking everyone to take cover, the park finally made an announcement around 7PM that the park was closing early. Employees were stationed at the gates handing out free admission tickets for any day this operating season.

Nice thought on the park's part as this wasn't necessary, since the park did operate for almost 7 hours before the storm.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy I know we sure experienced these storms!! The lightning was horrid!! We weren't at Six Flags, but right next door at the Ballpark, at the Rangers/White Sox game. We went through four rain delays! The tarp guys seriously earned their money!! The game went on past midnight! We were soaked to the bone, I'm just glad we won, 9-6!!

I was staying right in your neighborhood at the Holiday Inn Express off Carpenter Hwy. Tried to go out for a bite to eat around 9PM and almost submerged my car with the water pooled on the road.

Good news is that after 90 minutes today I have ridden 10 of the 12 coasters with just Titan and Vibora to go. Both are closed right now and I have to be on the road in an hour to catch my flight out of Houston.

Wow. I'm amazed they were handing out free admission tickets for another visit on a different day. I was just at SFFT this weekend and they had plenty of signs that said "No rain checks, No Refunds".

The free tickets were definitely a good business move on Six Flags part.

I don't agree with them handing tickets out to come back another day. You said the park was open to 7 pm, and the website says they opened at 10 am. That's a 9 hour day. I think they should only be handing out tickets if the park is open to 7 pm, and they close it at 1 pm. How many people don't stay till 10 pm anyway (with or without rain)?

For the record - They made an official closing announcement and cleared the park out at around 7PM and don't think that were handing out vouchers prior to official word the the park was closing. All the ride operations were already suspended when I arrived at 5PM. I'm not sure what time they started closing down rides.

I think what is clear, when comparing to what happened at SFGAdv on the 2nd weekend of the season, is the individual parks have autonomy in handing out passes and bypassing the chain's no rain check policy.

I don't agree with them handing tickets out to come back another day. You said the park was open to 7 pm, and the website says they opened at 10 am. That's a 9 hour day. I think they should only be handing out tickets if the park is open to 7 pm, and they close it at 1 pm. How many people don't stay till 10 pm anyway (with or without rain)?

What?