TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tell about the ride of your dreams NOW 8-)

To all Brothers, Sisters, Folks, fellow nuts, and whatever random people...

This is the world´s leading forum of roller coaster (and ride) enthusiasts who still have got a live. That is why I`ve got a special question to all of this wild bunch, this huge brain pool. Each one of you who feels up to it.

As you may have noticed, the time of ever bigger and ever more expensive roller coasters has long since passed. Manufacturers of relatively small but smart devices are to deliver the next generation of amusement rides. But I still believe they are way to conservative and basically stick to old ideas. Think of something really new that is as well as low as it gets in resource demands. Excavate those long buried crazy ideas of yours what could be built if someone only had the guts to do it.

I really want your best, deepest, craziest, most secret ideas because I´m trying to get a picture of what people expect to happen next on the amusement ride market. The background is, I´ve been freelancing for a leading roller coaster enterprise for quite some years and now try to find new ideas to help grade the future path of our favourite hobby.

So please help and give me your ideas - this might prove to be democratic since I am planning to give feedback on your ideas and explain the pros and cons.

Oh yeah, by the way, if any one of you ever plans for coming to Skyline Park, or getting totally immersed into the Oktoberfest feeling, or anything else in southern Germany, let me know, because Skyline Park is only 10 miles away from my home and I would gladly welcome and cater any foreign traveller from the TPR bunch (as long as they look good)

So go torture your keyboard NOW...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be a good thread if the members here take it serious.

Let's all let "The Kraut" answer before we speculate.

OK based on your standing in the industry tell me, is this idea possible?

A suspended coaster with spinning cars!

This could be a good thread if the members here take it serious.

Let's all let "The Kraut" answer before we speculate.

OK based on your standing in the industry tell me, is this idea possible?

A suspended coaster with spinning cars!

I also hope members take this serious, thank you for emphasing this, maybe it will help Speculations are welcome, since they are always better than a dead thread. I don´t care for too much moderation, just speak up what ever is on your minds.

Well, your idea might be possible. Do you actually mean a suspended coaster or an inverted one (which is basically the same as X (SFMM)) and how do you figure the cars to spin around? Like on X with the cars sideways of the track? Please help me to get your idea right

--kwa

1. A two-mile long Intamin PnP Woodie with a large drop in the middle.

2. A PnP clone of any legendary wooden coaster (Riverview Bobs, Rye Aeroplane, CBC, Idora Park Wildcat, Mr. Twister)

3. A clone of the legendary Thriller coaster that used to operate on the German fair circuit (or any Schwarzkopf portable/permanent coaster)

4. A PnP clone of any large Gravity Group coaster.

If you want to know more about the drawings shown below, click the link in my sig... The Z-Force pic is the only real coaster I have shown...

EDIT: Any time I let my imagination run wild, I'll be sure to post it here.

rampage_108_105.thumb.jpg.9960a41e2142e38e45fb924d200207a2.jpg

Insane Arrow Suspended coaster with tunnels....

pov_shot_752.jpg.83554c9bb906199942ba0c042bcf063f.jpg

Indy pic...

POV of the high-speed portion.

indy_212.jpg.2de432354ea4da5c0a942df4aaad312a.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Search for El Dorado

picture_003a_146.jpg.fcac64893226c553e5b7856ea85bb59b.jpg

picture_004_836.thumb.jpg.ec48ac9694eb76cee78b71fad982e96a.jpg

delta_demon_728.thumb.jpg.bdd1f9aa3112171e8e0a4a5715aebb80.jpg

I made the rest of these rides up myself.

602887832_200804191458472157971107_zforce.jpg.e715ba4a4523518817d3375388d3e86a.jpg

This ride...

Like netdvn said, but I think Plug N' Play versions of other coasters would be an awesome idea. Any classic wooden coaster, or rides that have either deteriorated or are in danger of doing so (i.e. Ghostrider or Voyage) would be the best candidates for this.

Also, I've always thought that moving cars, such as Arrow-esque suspended coasters, ball coasters, or 4D coasters (X2) have a massive amount of untapped potential, and that if a company like B&M or Intamin tried to build some of these designs (with the exception of the ball coaster), they could be really great coasters.

Well, your idea might be possible. Do you actually mean a suspended coaster or an inverted one (which is basically the same as X (SFMM)) and how do you figure the cars to spin around? --kwa

My thoughts relate to a suspended coaster such as Big Bad Wolf. The reason I bring up this idea is that I never even notice the swinging motion on suspended coasters and have wondered what can be down the suspended category more exciting.

Could a train similar to the one on EuroMir be built and suspended from a track?

I hope that clarifies my question.

i have a crazy book-o-death of flatrides i came up with that are pure insanity if things like that are what you mean

like the "Gyrofire"

like a ring of fire, only a bit taller with 3 tracks (2 extra in the normal one) that spin on different axis while the cars inside the 3rd go in the normal RoF loop

Prolly completely unfeasible and a structural nightmare, but i can dream

1. A two-mile long Intamin PnP Woodie with a large drop in the middle.

2. A PnP clone of any legendary wooden coaster (Riverview Bobs, Rye Aeroplane, CBC, Idora Park Wildcat, Mr. Twister)

3. A clone of the legendary Thriller coaster that used to operate on the German fair circuit (or any Schwarzkopf portable/permanent coaster)

4. A PnP clone of any large Gravity Group coaster.

If you want to know more about the drawings shown below, click the link in my sig... The Z-Force pic is the only real coaster I have shown...

EDIT: Any time I let my imagination run wild, I'll be sure to post it here.

Dude, those drawings look REALLY COOL Yummy perspectives, great expression, like one was really there. Makes me dream of epic things like a Lord of the Rings coaster (make it three of them). Z-Force is one of the coaster I remember and like most because of its wackyness. You better don´t become a lawyer or doctor I´m looking forward to more of your drawings. How about some flatrides?

Now let me comment on your ideas

@ 1. Although I love big rides, I don´t believe in such things right now, but they might come back when money, wood and work will be cheap again. So probably never again... Better stick with small, innovative designs like Gerstlauer. Like on your drawings, but maybe smaller.

@2. - 4. I like the idea of a recreation. Myself, I would love to see a resurrection of the Lightning Coaster, although it would break peoples backs. Anyway, I´m afraid any clone of an ancient coaster wouldn´t be the real thing anymore due to all the safety modifications and track smoothening and whatnot...

I don't know how to necessarily control this, but a teacup style spinning coaster. Teacup style meaning people could be able to control how much they spin so certain people(like Elissa) would be able to enjoy a "spinning ride" without getting sick. The only problem with this idea is people who spin too fast, like some do on teacups, but there must be a way to limit spinning.

Well, your idea might be possible. Do you actually mean a suspended coaster or an inverted one (which is basically the same as X (SFMM)) and how do you figure the cars to spin around? --kwa

My thoughts relate to a suspended coaster such as Big Bad Wolf. The reason I bring up this idea is that I never even notice the swinging motion on suspended coasters and have wondered what can be down the suspended category more exciting.

Could a train similar to the one on EuroMir be built and suspended from a track?

I hope that clarifies my question.

Ok, I´ve got your idea now... was a bit tired last night... The problem with swinging and spinning rides is that in combination they might put a lot of stress on both riders and the structure, so one would expect a rather expensive, clumsy design. But I like the idea of riding a suspended coaster with spinning cars, maybe even floorless - must be a great out-of-controll feeling. Should be feasible. Park owners would probably hate it - lots of wear and tear, heavy and new technology etc... a bit like X

i have a crazy book-o-death of flatrides i came up with that are pure insanity if things like that are what you mean

like the "Gyrofire"

like a ring of fire, only a bit taller with 3 tracks (2 extra in the normal one) that spin on different axis while the cars inside the 3rd go in the normal RoF loop

Prolly completely unfeasible and a structural nightmare, but i can dream

Flatrides are ABSOLUTELY WELCOME since they offer even more creativity than coasters. Just let the riders survive and take care of capacity

I don't know how to necessarily control this, but a teacup style spinning coaster. Teacup style meaning people could be able to control how much they spin so certain people(like Elissa) would be able to enjoy a "spinning ride" without getting sick. The only problem with this idea is people who spin too fast, like some do on teacups, but there must be a way to limit spinning.

Spinning coasters make me sick too and give me headaches. If Elissa and I put our authority together maybe we could have all the world´s spinning coasters scrapped

But I like the idea of allowing people to control the ways of a ride. Shouldnt be too complicated to achieve a teacup coaster.

I think what the industry need to do. Is further the technology of wooden coasters. I mean there just there by themselves. Just a wood coaster. I mean there was SoB's loop. But that was epic fail. But i think companies should make launched woodies. I can't think of anything to further the wooden coasters. But i think thats what they need to do. I also think B&M should have a go at making a Woodie. I mean its worth a try?

Robby

Dude, those drawings look REALLY COOL Yummy perspectives, great expression, like one was really there. Makes me dream of epic things like a Lord of the Rings coaster (make it three of them). Z-Force is one of the coaster I remember and like most because of its wackyness. You better don´t become a lawyer or doctor I´m looking forward to more of your drawings. How about some flatrides?

Now let me comment on your ideas

@ 1. Although I love big rides, I don´t believe in such things right now, but they might come back when money, wood and work will be cheap again. So probably never again... Better stick with small, innovative designs like Gerstlauer. Like on your drawings, but maybe smaller.

@2. - 4. I like the idea of a recreation. Myself, I would love to see a resurrection of the Lightning Coaster, although it would break peoples backs. Anyway, I´m afraid any clone of an ancient coaster wouldn´t be the real thing anymore due to all the safety modifications and track smoothening and whatnot...

Thank you for your comment. I plan on posting more drawings in the artwork thread later today. I'll change the description in my sig to let everyone know.

In this economy, a massive Beast-length Intamin woodie probably won't be feasable, but it can't hurt to dream. Maybe he'll just have to wait for the economy to improve.

As for recreating a past coaster, does a coaster like Riverview's Bobs or Rye's Aeroplane really need safety modifications? The coasters were already safe to begin with and they lasted long periods of time without much wear. As for smoothness, if Intamin designed the coaster, that wouldn't be much of an issue. Recreating a coaster like CBC would be much more difficult as the forces need to be modified to keep the ride safe.

A new concept I've been considering is modifying an Intamin Wing-Rider to allow the seats to rotate like a Ball Coaster. That way, you have a launched 4-d coaster.

As for flat rides, I've considered a Giant Frisbee-style flat where the frisbee is tilted 90 degrees, like a pendulum.

I always thought that an inverted coaster with a dive loop would be cool.

Also any coaster with a wrap around dive loop. Like how Dueling Dragons Fire has the wrap around Immelmann loop but instead of that, the coaster would be going the other way.

I would like to see S&S use some of the older Arrow designs like the suspended coaster with a corkscrew. I miss the old school Arrows with their innovative surprise elements like Annaconda's (KD) lake tunnel. Steel Phantom's (Kennywood) long second drop is another example of this.

Personally, I believe that Arrow had finally found their stride albeit too late, with Dollywood's Tennessee Tornado. The short first drop with Tunnel turn and drop, coupled with the first Arrow free form inversions was fantastic.

Oh Larry and his spinning suspended.......

Anyway, this is something that I have been wondering for a little bit. The invert and the flyer have been done with success on the unconventional side of the track. Now I am wondering, what about a stand-up invert? I'm not thinking of anything too extreme, just maybe a lower speed ride with some twists and turns. There would have to be a way to work a restraint system and come up with a car design that would give enough support to the legs and body for something like that, right?

Spinning coasters make me sick too and give me headaches. If Elissa and I put our authority together maybe we could have all the world´s spinning coasters scrapped

But I like the idea of allowing people to control the ways of a ride. Shouldnt be too complicated to achieve a teacup coaster.

Thats the general idea behind the concept. I love spinning, but my dad hates spinning, but loves coasters. Some coasters like Dragon's Fury and Tarantula look like they have awesome layout, and give awesome rides, but are unenjoyable for people who hate spinning.

I have over 1000 posts, but have no idea how to quote individual sentences/phrases. How do you do that?

^Highlight the sentence you want to quote, copy/paste it into the text box, then highlight the sentence and press the "quote" button above the text box. It's between the "underline" and the "code" buttons.

What about a pinball-style ride where you sit in a ride vehicle and are launched into a giant pinball machine complete with bumpers, flippers, and flashing lights. It may be a bit disorienting and the vehicles/machine would probably suffer some wear, not to mention capacity issues, but Zorb balls could help reduce the wear on the ride itself and how about allowing multiple Zorbs in at once to address capacity?

I have had a few ideas over the years, one such was something like a sit-down coaster but with a car on a small scale to a top spin car, on top of the track (or below) but free spinning, so every ride is different. I will try to post a drawing later on to explain my theory.

Few other ideas, on the flat ride front, how about a sideways pirate ship (maybe even an "over the top" pirate ship but sideways, would certainly give a new experience!

I have another killer idea too, but you will have to bear with me!!!

Design it yourself rollercoaster experience....

....vertical lift out of station, stop at the top of the lift and the pillar that the lift is on spins round (like the ride in RCT 3 that allows you to have a 90 degree or 180 degree turn at the top) however there are a choice of elements each seperated by a vertical lift pillar which can rotate and select a different element (even doing one element backwards if one chooses too) The ride experience would be selected in the queue just before the air gates at a touch screen console, everyone chooses their favourite and the track is selected from the most popular one picked.

I know this probably sounds like utter rubbish, so again I will try to draw something lame later which roughly explains this.

I'm all out now!

^ I understand the first concept, but I'm confused over the second concept.

For the second concept, do you mean a swinging ship that swings from side to side like a Giant Frisbee or one that swings parallel to the ground?

And for the over the top swinging ship, do you mean something similar to a Kamikaze or Looping Starship??

^ I understand the first concept, but I'm confused over the second concept.

For the second concept, do you mean a swinging ship that swings from side to side like a Giant Frisbee or one that swings parallel to the ground?

And for the over the top swinging ship, do you mean something similar to a Kamikaze or Looping Starship??

Just like a looping starship, but imagine the boat twisted round 90 degrees so you don't swing forwards and back, you swing side to side.

How about the Tower of Terror as a flying coaster? Same ride up until the last drop, but on the next upward launch, the car is shot up out of the tower, into tophat element transiton to the flying position (essentially going from TOT's seated angle, to Tatsu/Manta flying), then into a Manta/Tatsu style course. I figure the station would have a drop away floor for loading/unloading.

I love the first drop...

My idea of a coaster of my dream would involve a first drop to be almost of drop tower, where you are facing forward (like a drop tower).

The rest of the ride is more like a pillow-y flight where the trains have a suspension and when it goes over bunny hills, the train over exaggerates the drops/hills on the track. Almost simulating a moon walk, but more funner (if that is even such a word).