TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Influenza Epidemic, affects parks and fairs.

A new kind of Influenza epidemic disease, is hitting Mexico City and all the parks and fairs are closing until the emergency is over. This Virus passes through humans on dark and enclosed sites, and also on short distances. That’s why the government closed thousands of activities where big masses of people are concentrated, like sports and stadiums events, concerts, cinemas, theaters, public places, and massive events.

The parks and fairs were no exception:

Six Flags Mexico attendances dropped the past weekend. The park opened with dark and enclosed rides out of operation. The park is evaluating the situation to determine if the park will open next weeks.

La Feria de Chapultepec only opened Saturday, and Sunday didn’t opened.

Other small parks and water parks in the city, announced that they will remain closed until the emergency is over.

On other states, the parks are announcing that they will close this week until is safer to have hundreds of visitors on their installations.

Also, the most important fairs of all the country, “Feria de San Marcos” at Aguascalientes, home of “Tsunami” (Zonga), have to cancel all the activities until next year.

No one knows when this will finish, but it’s a fact that the national tourism, the amusement industry and all the entertainment business, are loosing thousands of millions dollars, caused by this Virus.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This flu may be a really big concern to all of us and it's not just about faires and parks.

I am afraid. Really afraid.

Yes, you´re right!

The latest news claims that this Flu is moving to other countires, and severe acctions are in progress to avoid more propagation.

At google News, you can se more than 30,000 articles of this Virus:

http://news.google.com/news?um=1&ned=us&cf=all&ncl=1338523499

Actually, Here in Mexico city, are oficially closed:

- Shools (At al scholarity levels)

- Day cares

- Entretainment buisness (Cinemas, Theaters, Parks, Stadiums)

- Big Malls

- Convention centers

- Public areas of big mass concentration.

Actually all the people on street are using face mask for safety reassons.

I hope this can be controlled soon and we can return to normal life.

Thanks for bringing this up, I have been wondering what would happen to the industry with the economic situation, and now we can add the threat of pandemic flu. This couldn't have come at a worse time, not just for parks, but for everyone. People have lost their jobs and are without health insurance, and with no health insurance how are people going to pay the hospital bills if they, or family, get sick.

There have not been any deaths in the United States at this point, so I really don't think there is a huge reason to be alarmed... The only reason people have died in Mexico is due to their (generally) poor health care. As long as you go to the doctor if any flu symptoms show up you should be fine.

It's like the Bird Flu "epidemic" a few years back. Everyone panics for a little while, and then it passes. It will be the same for this as well.

Not to trivialize the deaths in Mexico of course, because that's certainly a sad thing, but I think we could all agree that the sky isn't falling...

To put this in perspective, we *always* live under the threat of pandemic disease. There have been 149 suspected deaths in a population center of 22,000,000. It's tragic, but the regular ass flu kills a lot more than that each and every year.

No need to panic just yet.

According to the CDC - Influenza kills about 36,000 people a year in the United States.

When swine flu swings that number up by about 10% or so, then I'll get extra concerned.

Until then, I'll continue to wash my hands fairly frequently, and avoid being coughed on as much as possible.

The only reason people have died in Mexico is due to their (generally) poor health care. As long as you go to the doctor if any flu symptoms show up you should be fine.

It was the same thing with SARs. The only people who died of SARs were elderly, or had existing respiratory illnesses. Obviously it was real big deal, however not a risk to those who were healthy.

Sounds like the same thing here. Serious enough to know of, but not really a risk.

It seems like every year the media names a new disease, and reports how it's the next massive outbreak.

I think the news is blowing this out of proportion, they need something to report on and scare everyone.

I was thinking yesterday if waterparks could close because of this but then I thought that the chlorine would help kill germs but will that be enough for people to not be scared?

This is just an example of how manipulative the news can be, as stated above every year the media comes up with something to scream about how the sky is falling, remember west Nile virus, or the killer bees a number of years ago? Or as mentioned above, the bird flu? Now you very rarely hear about anything related to those major stories! The stock market dropped today because of "worries of the swine flu" for crying out loud! Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't be cautious of it, cause it is an illness that can be fatal, however I don't feel it is cause for worldwide hysteria as it seems the news is making it out to be.

^ That's because the mainstream media makes more money off a panicked populace than a calm one.

Oh, and I completely agree with ginzo:

To put this in perspective, we *always* live under the threat of pandemic disease. There have been 149 suspected deaths in a population center of 22,000,000. It's tragic, but the regular a$$ flu kills a lot more than that each and every year.

No need to panic just yet.

/It ain't exactly Captain Tripps

//What you need to know to protect your children. Tonight at 11.

My schools in Austin are helping students, staff, and parents.

There are no reports of Swine Flu or suspected Swine Flu in the Austin-Travis-Williamson-Hays areas.

We are reminding all our campuses to help students practice basic good health procedures, including washing hands often, and are placing additional bottles of hand sanitizer and boxes of tissues at key locations.

Students and staff are asked to stay home if they are sick. Symptoms of swine flu in people are similar to those of regular or seasonal flu and include fever, fatigue, lack of appetite and coughing. Some with swine flu also have reported runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Thanks.

This isint the first time a Swine Flu has been a problem for america. The 1976 flu outbreak was Swine Flu. Also the deadly 1916 "Spanish Influenza" was Swine Flu.

Im not that scared but if it comes within 25 miles of me im going to wear a mask. I know, im wierd.

I live in Kansas, and there are 2 confirmed cases about an hour and a half north of me.

A lady at my church works at the Sedgwick County Health Department, and holds a very big position there (She does a lot with preparing for things like this) and on Saturday she had to work from 5 a.m. until 7 p.m. At church, she had to leave right before the sermon because they called her saying they were going to have a conference call. It's really getting serious.

Gah! I hate reading about viruses, it makes me feel sickly just doing it. It freaks me out, but I'm not worried, it hasn't even touched Florida, and I'm homeschooled. It'd suck to catch it, you'd get sick for a while, and I'm sure a few people in America will die because they'll catch severe cases of it (as in they didn't go to the doctor in time, and it just settled in.) But in other words, I think the general population are fine. I wonder how Germany is taking this. Knowing nothing on there healthcare over there, I hope that no ones died yet.

Kalepi "Yet another reason to close the border forever" Konei

People who died from the regular flu are usually old or sick. The thing is that with the Swine Flu - "healthy" died in Mexico which means this virus is more violent than what we think.

There is one sick man in Israel now whi just got back some days ago from Mexico.

As people can geat fast and easily from place to place I guess it's a question of time.

I am worried.

People who died from the regular flu are usually old or sick. The thing is that with the Swine Flu - "healthy" died in Mexico which means this virus is more violent than what we think.

This is true, which is why organizations like the WHO and CDC are concerned. But we have confirmed and suspected cases in the US and ZERO deaths. Mexico is the only place where there have been any fatalities so far.

This ain't 1918 just yet. It's cause for concern, not panic.