TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Choice of Digital Cameras

Homeboy23

I am at a standstill between two digital cameras on which one I should buy. The choices are a 10 MP Canon and a 12.1 MP Sony. They are both the same price and have similar qualities. The only major difference is the 2 mexapixels. I have always heard that Canon always has good quality in pictures.

Here is the two:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9023683&type=product&id=1218009476803

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9250892&type=product&id=1218068108922

Which one would you prefer?

Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the Canon. Canon doesn't need to make 12mp cameras, because the quality of the whole camera (Like the lens...pretty much the most important part of getting good quality pictures) is a lot better than other brands. Megapixels don't even matter now anyways. All you really need is about 3, unless you want to print a giant poster, which you will probably never do. Most people even have their camera set to take 3 mp pictures, and they don't even know it.

Canon FTW

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I will try out the Canon, everyone here and everyone I've talked to has said it.

Thanks RCFreak for the Amazon link. I was looking at Best Buy because of this site that gives you a percentage back from your purchase to use toward your student loan. Best Buy gives 2%. Amazon only gives 1% but that is too much savings to pass up, so I will go with Amazon.

I just picked up a Canon Powershot 790 IS to replace my Powershot A95 that finally died after 5 years. Of course nothing but praise for Canon, but make sure you check the specs for whatever you're buying at Cnet. That will make the selection process much easier. In my case, I needed a point & shoot with the least shutter lag and the 790 was it. It is on par with (and beats more than a few) SLRs! Highly recommend it. Of course, you can't really go wrong with any Canon you buy.

Yea, to agree with everyone here, I would get the Canon. I just bought a Canon camera (the Powershot SX110IS), and it's great. A very nice camera, with accurate colors, a big nice zoom (10x), and really good quality. I picked it up for $250, and it's amazing. The camera you're looking at should be as good, and have the creative controls that most upper Point & shoot cameras have.

Oh, and by the way, don't worry about the megapixels, they don't really matter that much.

Go for the SD880 instead of the SD890. It has a bigger LCD (3.0" instead of 2.5") and a wider zoom (28mm instead of 37mm).

I've purchased two SD880s for relatives in the past few months. They're amazingly nice and the interface is the best I've ever seen on a point-and-shoot.

Well I went ahead and ordered the SD890 on Friday, I should get either tomorrow or Wednesday. Can't wait to test it out, I'll let you all know how it is.

I went with the 890 instead of the 880 because it has a little more zoom. I go to a lot of sporting events as well as parks so I was trying to get one that would work for both.