TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2008 Theme Park Attendance Reports

Guest Papas

2008 AMUSEMENT/THEME PARK ATTENDANCE (BY COMPANY)

1. Disney Parks

2. Merlin Entertainment

3. Universal

4. Six Flags

5. Anheuser-Busch

2008 TOP AMUSEMENT/THEME PARK ATTENDANCE

1. Magic Kingdom

Lake Buena Vista, FL

2. Disneyland

Anaheim, CA

3. Tokyo Disneyland

Tokyo, Japan

4. Disneyland Paris

Marnee La Vallee, France

5. Disney Sea

Tokyo, Japan

6. Epcot

Lake Buena Vista, FL

7. Disneys Hollywood Studios

Lake Buena Vista, FL

8. Disneys Animal Kingdom

Lake Buena Vista, FL

9. Universal Studios Japan

Osaka, Japan

10. Everland

Geyongg-Do, South Korea

11. Universal Studios

Orlando, FL

12. Sea World

Orlando, FL

13. Disneys California Adventure

Anaheim, CA

14. Islands of Adventure

Orlando, FL

15. Ocean Park

Hong Kong

16. Universal Studios Hollywood

Los Angeles, CA

17. Yokohama Hakkeijima Sea Paradise

Yokohama, Japan

18. Hong Kong Disneyland

Hong Kong

19. Busch Gardens Africa

Tampa Bay, FL

20. Lotte World

Seoul, South Korea

21. Sea World

San Diego, CA

22. Europa Park

Rust, Germany

23. Tivoli Gardens

Copenhagen, Denmark

24. Nagashima Spaland

Kuwana, Japan

25. Port Aventura

Salou, Spain

26. Knotts Berry Farm

Buena Park, CA

27. Canada's Wonderland

Ontario, Canada

28. De Efteling

Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands

29. Cedar Point

Sandusky, OH

30. Kings Island

Kings Mills, OH

31. Gardaland

Castelnuovo del Garda, Italy

32. Busch Gardens Europe

Williamsburg, VA

33. Liseberg

Gothenburg, Sweden

34. Hersheypark

Hershey, PA

35. Six Flags Great Adventure

Jackson, NJ

36. Six Flags Great America

Gurnee, IL

37. Disney Studios Paris

Marnee La Vallee, France

38. Alton Towers

Staffodshire, England

39. Six Flags Mexico

Mexico City, Mexico

2008 TOP WATER PARK ATTENDANCE

1. Typhoon Lagoon

Lake Buena Vista, FL

2. Blizzard Beach

Lake Buena Vista, FL

3. Chimelong Waterpark

Guangzhou, China

4. Carribean Bay Everland

Gyeonggi-do, Korea

5. Wet N' Wild

Orlando, FL

6. Sunway Lagoon

Kuala Lampur, Malaysia

7. Wet N' Wild

Gold Coast, Australia

8. Aquatica

Orlando, FL

9. Ocean World

Gangwon-do, Korea

10. Summerland

Tokyo, Japan

11. Schlitterbahn

New Braunfels TX

12. Wild Wadi

Dubai, UAE

13. Deoksan Spa Castle

Chungcheong, Korea

14. Water Country USA

Williamsburg, VA

15. Seorak Waterpia

Gangwon-do, Korea

16. Adventure Island

Tampa Bay, FL

17. Schlitterbahn

Galveston, TX

18. Noah's Ark

Wisconsin Dells, WI

19. Hyland Hills Water World

Denver, CO

20. Splish Splash

Riverhead, NY

For full analysis visit

http://www.teaconnect.org/etea/TEAERA2008.pdf

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Magic Mountain open year round, basically gives away season passes, and is nowhere to be seen. Getting creamed even by seasonal parks like SFGAdv/SFGAm.

Something is not right in regards of SFMM, if I remember correct the park was in the 2.6-2.7 million range. No way they lost 700000+ people in one year.

Also Knotts pulls in easy 500000 during haunt, without it the park would be in some serious trouble(especially considering it is open 364 days out of the year)

8. Aquatica

Orlando, FL

Wow! This was a smart move for Busch. I honestly wouldn't have expected them to get nearly 1 million visitors in the first year especially with all the other water park offerings in the area.

Good for them!

--Robb

Wow! This was a smart move for Busch. I honestly wouldn't have expected them to get nearly 1 million visitors in the first year especially with all the other water park offerings in the area.

That is pretty awesome but let's see how they do this year. Maybe it got a lot of attendance from the locals who were happy to see a new park?

^ I think it will be fine this year. I think the true test will be 2010. I think there will be some overflow attendance into this year, of locals that will still go there, and people traveling to the area that are planning a trip around it, or are just catching wind of the park.

According to the Supervisor meeting at BGT....BGT improved its attendance slightly...So i dunno if this is actually correct. I swear the managers and big leagues were bragging about what a good year we had in 2008 despite the economic downturn. So I dunno if this report is 100% correct regarding BGT.

Awesome to see Aquatica debut at #8!!!!

^^

Note: Attendance figures are estimates, based on company information, annual reports, published information and from reliable TEA/ERA industry and tourism sourcesPercent changes for 2008 for certain parks (noted by *) are based on adjusted/updated figures for 2007, thus not directly comparable to published TEA-ERA list for 2007/06

I'm interested in Canada's Wonderland numbers in comparison to Cedar Point's. Both parks have similar seasons, with Cedar Point probably open a few more days over the season, and Canada's Wonderland came out on top! Goes to show that CW is a winner for Cedar Fair in my view. How do this years numbers compare to last years numbers (if anyone has that data)?

I'm interested in Canada's Wonderland numbers in comparison to Cedar Point's. Both parks have similar seasons, with Cedar Point probably open a few more days over the season, and Canada's Wonderland came out on top! Goes to show that CW is a winner for Cedar Fair in my view. How do this years numbers compare to last years numbers (if anyone has that data)?

Canada's Wonderland is typically always the top seasonal park.

Mostly due to a massive local population base with no competition.

According to the Supervisor meeting at BGT....BGT improved its attendance slightly...So i dunno if this is actually correct. I swear the managers and big leagues were bragging about what a good year we had in 2008 despite the economic downturn. So I dunno if this report is 100% correct regarding BGT.

Awesome to see Aquatica debut at #8!!!!

I also don't put too much stock in those numbers. Come on! They could not even correct themself when they came up with a number for Tokyo Disney Resort that is 500000 short of the number Oriental Land Co. released a few weeks ago.

I also don't put too much stock in those numbers. Come on! They could not even correct themself when they came up with a number for Tokyo Disney Resort that is 500000 short of the number Oriental Land Co. released a few weeks ago.

That still puts that estimate within ~3% of the actual figure. Not horrible for an educated guess.

What I find interesting is how close Tokyo DisneySea is to Tokyo Disneyland when compared to the second gates in Paris and Anaheim. It just goes to show that you get what you pay for. I can't believe how poorly they're estimating Disney Studios Paris considering that 2008 was the first full year that Tower of Terror was open.

I'm just happy to be right for once. A waterpark with SeaWorld's name on it--and right next door--always seemed like a slam dunk to me.

My science is a little fuzzy, but it goes like this:

Wet n' Wild seems/is older and no one knows it's associated with Universal.

Disney has two (splitting the vote, as it were), they're not really super-visible, and Disney had lots of other stuff to keep you occupied. So the waterparks kind of get lost in the mix.

Aquatica is highly visible, right next door, brand-spanking new, has animals (which makes it unique in a field where most offerings are pretty much the same), and is positioned (intentionally or not) as SeaWorld's de facto second-gate park.

I'm not surprised one bit that it beat out all the other waterparks in the area. And I think it will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

/Haven't actually been. Not really talking about quality though anyway.

^^^ Plus Anheuser Busch InBev hasn't spoiled the plans to add phase II of Aquatica which construction is supposed to start on in 2010. The new ownership are idiots, even though Busch Entertainment is supposedly their own spun off company, but they're still under the ABI umbrella. With this said, they see a money maker, and they're going with it.

I enjoy Aquatica more than the Disney water parks. It's great to sit on the beach at Aquatica and watch Shamu's fireworks during the summer... If only Aquatica would sell good beer, then it would be great!

I'm not surprised one bit that it beat out all the other waterparks in the area. And I think it will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I'm a bit confused by this, as Aquatica finsished behind Typhoon Lagoon (#1), Blizzard Beach (#2), and Wet n' Wild (#7). Am I mis-interpreting something?

I will agree with you though that Aquatica has set itself up very well to continue growing in the next few years. I know personally I'm anticipating it immensely.

I'm a bit confused by this, as Aquatica finsished behind Typhoon Lagoon (#1), Blizzard Beach (#2), and Wet n' Wild (#7). Am I mis-interpreting something?

Er...I mean...um...I wouldn't have been surprised if it had...?

Crap.

/Misread the results and jumped the gun. Sorry.

Since were on the topic of Busch, once again this year they said the estimates are completely wrong compare to what they actually saw.

"They are wrong across the board," said Fred Jacobs, a spokesman for Busch Entertainment Corp., whose parks include SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, Aquatica and seven others across the country.

Jacobs said Busch's parks combined drew more than 25.4 million visitors in 2008 — 10 percent more than the 23 million estimated in the ERA/TEA report.

www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bizattendance17041709apr17,0,2646872.story

But of course, these were estimates and Busch Entertainment declined to assist them in creating the estimates.

This could mean that some of the Busch parks that are reported to have declined in attendance could have stayed flat or increase this past year.