TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Are you a Screamer, Laugher or WHOOPer?

I usually don't intentionally say much, other than maybe talking to whoever happens to be riding with me (Usually my wife, or one of our kids) during the lift. I do often find myself laughing during rides and I may occasionally let out a "Whoa!" if some particular part of a ride catches me by surprise.

This is pretty uncharacteristic of me, but one time I yelled out, "Someone get me a spinal surgeon" during the final brake run on Ghostrider. The entire train burst in laughter. It was pretty funny. I was actually half serious though.

My wife, who is usually relatively quiet on rides, laughed hysterically while, and after, riding Psyclone at SFMM. Upon returning to the station and seeing nobody in the queue, she insisted on re-riding. The kids went back on with her while my sister and I politely declined and waited for them, only to see them come back to the station and insist on riding yet again. I'm pretty sure the ride gave them brain damage.

Finally, I hear a story about someone who actually liked Psyclone... most people hated it, including me until the nine months that I worked on it. After I learned how the ride moved and how to ride it without getting brutally beaten, it turned out to be an amazingly cool ride. Cool enough that I rode it forty-six times in a row. That was the known record for re-riding on that coaster.

Man, I miss that ride... at least we're getting Terminator.

Oh, and I guess my reactions depend on the ride. On most coasters, I just kind of say random things like "We're all going to die" or "Oh GOD, it's EVERYWHERE". On X2, I scream like it's my first time on it and, when the train pulls out of the station, I laugh every time I hear "It Had To Be You".

Sincerely,

R.C.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"...one time I yelled out, 'Someone get me a spinal surgeon' during the final brake run on Ghostrider." (Mechanic)

Why'd you wait till the end? When I ride that, I'd be calling for help on the first drop!

Eric

I don't do anything. I don't even put my hands up. You'd think I was riding the bus.

/I'm a bad coaster lay.

I am also like this most of the time, except when a coaster takes me by surprise and blows me away. An airtime machine can put big smiles on my face.

Finally, I hear a story about someone who actually liked Psyclone.

Yes, amazingly enough, she actually did like that ride and was sad when I told her they removed it. Incidentally, if you're who I think you are, I believe both my wife and I spoke to you in the smoking area for a while before the gates opened for WCB this year. If I'm mistaken, please accept my apologies, if not, it was nice talking to you there and I'm sure we'll see you again nest year, if not sooner.

Why'd you wait till the end? When I ride that, I'd be calling for help on the first drop!

The final brake run was where I regained consciousness.

Finally, I hear a story about someone who actually liked Psyclone.

Yes, amazingly enough, she actually did like that ride and was sad when I told her they removed it. Incidentally, if you're who I think you are, I believe both my wife and I spoke to you in the smoking area for a while before the gates opened for WCB this year. If I'm mistaken, please accept my apologies, if not, it was nice talking to you there and I'm sure we'll see you again nest year, if not sooner.

The final brake run was where I regained consciousness.

It was probably me... did I have a grisly looking beard? If so, yeah, it was probably me.

It was nice talking to you as well though as I'm sure that I met you through the course of the day in one of the smoking areas. West Coast Bash 2010 can't come soon enough... besides, I'll need that shirt to replace the 2009 one I use as my official coaster riding shirt.

Has Ghostrider really gotten that rough? It's hard to believe that in a matter of a few years it has decayed so much...

Sincerely,

R.C.

"Has Ghostrider really gotten that rough?" (rcroques)

It was last year, however, I've heard that its latest rehab really smoothed it out. Time to go ride it again.

I'll make sure I have a chiropractor appointment lined up afterward...

Eric

For me, it depends on the ride. I'm pretty quiet on less intense rides, but the major coasters and other large rides (drop towers and perilous plunge) cause a bit of yelling and/or laughter. Unlike some people I've heard, I never shout profanities during a ride.

I've been able to do one continuous yell from the mid course brake to the end brakes on Goliath.

There's a video floating around somewhere of me screaming my way down Matterhorn, with the sound getting louder everytime my bobsled goes outside.

"I don't do anything. I don't even put my hands up. You'd think I was riding the bus." (Electerik)

"I don't shout out anything. I just sit and enjoy the ride." (sfmmrules)

Those responses pretty much sum me up. I just enjoy the wind in my face and a fun ride.

Eric

That describes me as well. However, I let a spontaneous whoop on my first ever ride on X2 as the first drop went into the raven turn.

For me it all depends onthe ride. saddly, the only credit I've gotten in the last year was Tatsu, and on my first ride "honest" like I yelled Jesus Christ on the pretzel loop, and when I am scared, I yell. THe second ride is generally me laughing my ass off/just having fun. This past weekend, I rode California Screamin for the 100th time this past year, and I yell and cheer at the points of airtime on the ride, and smile throughout the rest of the ride. Alsso, on Ghostrider at haunt I rode four consecutive times during the pre scare dinner ERT on Ghostrider/Silver Bullet/Sierra Sidewinder(I think) how many of you can endure four consecutive rides on that thing?I think I should get a medal.

Most of the time, I yell "YEAH!" with an occaisional "Whoa!" or "Oh My God!" if something is more intense than I think it will be (There were a pot of those on Maverick, believe me).

On rough coasters, and specifically Iron Wolf, it was pretty much the Manhattan Express video. I was swearing the whole ride while my friend next to me cracked up laughing. There was even a "why the **** was that the smoothest part of the ride" moment during the corkscrew, and that was before I had seen the video.

^That has to be my all time favorite TPR video moment when They ride Manhatten Express and Robb yells out "why the **** was that the smoothest part of the ride"!

When on a coaster I've ridden before with friends, I tend to satirically over-articulate my enjoyment: "Now that was enthrallingly exhilarating!" "That loop was unexpectedly forceful!".

When experiencing a ride for the first time, or truly submitting myself to the experience, I'm one for remaining fairly silent. Unless a good element comes along, when I'm a "OOOHhhh..." or "HOOOooo-ly..." kind of guy.

I prefer moaners over screamers myself. Screamers hurt my ears.

I'm usually fairly quiet and just enjoy the ride. Unless it's something like a Vekoma or bad woodie, where in that case I sometimes let out something out like "Ow f*** this ride!!" in a sudden jolt of pain. Good thing those types of rides are normally so loud that I can't even hear myself.