TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Knotts Berry Farm Commercials

I may not know the ride (I might be learning it very soon),

I had worked Calico Mine Ride myself, personally, for years.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I shouldn't, I know I shouldn't, I know I shouldn't....

I'm sure you could go into the technical aspects of where my statements might actually ad up to yours, but lets just agree to disagree at the moment. Once I learn it, then I can get back to you on certain things, for they may do things a little different than when you worked on it.

"Agree to disagree"?? Fine, we'll agree to disagree on whether or not you have any idea what you're talking about.

Clearly, things have changed at Mine Ride. Because when I worked there, they wouldn't let just anyone learn it. And they certainly wouldn't have run the ride in a manner that would cause trains to derail.

/*sigh*

We'll never resolve this. And I don't want to keep looking like an ignorant prick.

All I know is they do have to run the train on power for more than unload to load, after load, and at the stalactites. Like the underground caverns. And yes, I've been in the train when they've had it on 4th gear going through explosion tunnel.

Very soon I might be learning the ride, and so yes, technically I cannot talk. All I know is they at least apply a bit more power than you mentioned. Heck, I only see 'em "ride the brakes" on a few parts.

Oh, I'm terribly sorry! Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Here let me try saying it another way.

Anyway, oh that silly Knott's is at it again! *insert cheesey 70's sitcom background music here*

Okay, I'm getting tired of beating up on this kid. How about this?

It's only necessary to use the train's electric motor in three places: Load, Stalactites, and Unload. It is, however, totally possible for the operator to use it just about anywhere.

But, having said that, there are a couple if things to keep in mind:

1. Most of the ride is downhill. So power applied on these sections is just going to make it so you have to brake harder later on, since going too fast in some areas of the mine can be very, very bad.

2. If you were to do this a lot, and consistently throughout the day, you would run the risk of draining your batteries and taking that train out of commission for the rest of the day. And it wouldn't take much of that to find yourself rather quickly back in Camp Snoopy.

And yes, I did know some ops who would throw the train into fourth in Explosion Tunnel (usually rookies). But the thing is, you can only keep it there for a second or two (max) before you're back in neutral and braking hard. So it doesn't really do much, except possibly make you look cool to your friend who is sitting behind you on the train.

I must also concede (in earnest) that things might very well be done differently now. But, to the best of my knowledge, the ride itself has not been changed. Which means that the ops must conform to some standards, regardless of how different their approach might be.

Good enough?

^ OMG My coaster count just went up too!

But honestly its just a silly ad campaign created by Knott's to get more customers. They advertise 10 coasters just so that people can say "Hey! Knott's has 10 coasters! We should go there because they have so many!" The GP isn't gonna go "Dude Knott's CLEARLY doesn't have 10 coasters. It says so on RCDB" because the GP probably won't waste their time checking RCDB to see if there really are 10 coasters inside the park. And they're not gonna fight about which extra ride counts as a coaster. [/rant]

Carry on!

So after the long deabte, I've have found that Mine Ride is actually labeled as a coaster. Yes, it is powered, but it is still a coaster

That still only makes 9 though

1. Sierra Sidewinder

2. Pony Express

3. Montezooma's Revenge

4. Ghostrider

5. Jaguar

6. Timberline Twister

7. Boomerang

8. Xcelerator

9. Silver Bullet

Counting the mine train would be 10- Thankfully math skills aren't required by ride ops very often.

I'm pretty sure that they count Perilous Plunge as the "mystery" coaster, since they've used it prominently for things like the Coaster Solace shirts for several years now.

An email to the park confirmed that it is PP they're counting as the 10th coaster. Funny thing is, not once does the word coaster appear in the specs. Someone in advertising must have decided it just sounded better to have a double digit number of coasters and, outside of enthusiast sites, they're probably right. They could probably claim that Ghostrider goes upside-down, and how many regular guests would question it? After getting off Ghostrider I could swear I've been turned inside out, and that could only happen if I went upside down, right?

PERILOUS PLUNGE Attraction Fact Sheet

PHYSICAL DIMENSIONS

Track Length: 865-feet

Lift Height: 121-feet (Niagara Falls is 155-feet at its lowest height)

Angle of Lift Hill: 40-degrees

Vertical Drop: 115-feet

Angle of Descent: 75-degrees

DESIGN

Model (Industry Name): Chute Ride

Structure: Reinforced fiberglass chute track

Special Features: State-of-the-art magnetic braking system allowing operators to control splash size and state-of-the-art water pumping technology pumping 40,000 gallons per minute.

Ride Capacity: Approximately 1,900 riders per hour

BOATS

Number: Three

Capacity: 24 Passengers

Weight: 14,500 pounds or 7.25 tons (loaded)

Dimensions: 420-feet long by 175-feet wide

Color: Red and yellow

Design: Reinforced fiberglass boats with cushioned seats and lap bars.

Splash Size: 45-foot, 180-degrees (at max. boat speed)

TIME AND SPEED

Time: 1 minute, 30 seconds

Top Speed: 50 mph or 13-feet per second.

WORLD RECORDS

1. Tallest water ride (121-feet)

2. Highest drop on a water ride (115-feet)

3. Steepest drop on a water ride (75-degrees)

4. Biggest splash resulting from a water ride (45-feet at maximum boat speed).

PROJECT

Footprint: 420-feet by 175-feet

Location: Knott's Berry Farm Theme Park Boardwalk themed area between Lindy's Cafe on the south and Coasters Diner on the north, along Western Avenue.

Opening Date: September 15, 2000

One of my friends texted me yesterday and said "Does Knott's Berry Farm really have ten coasters? I can only count nine..."

So people are noticing, but I can't really say they'll get "upset" over it. I mean, it's just a commercial, we've all been lied to by those before .

It doesnt matter how many coasters they have, it doesnt change the fact they still only have 1 really good coaster

"Ride on coaster warriors" is a really bad campaign for them IMO, may as well say "Ride Xcelerator then go to SFMM and ride other coasters worth riding!"

I agree, with more than half of their coasters being relatively tame, calling their guests 'Coaster Warriors' is kind of silly. If they want to do a campaign like that, they should do something that attempts to slam SFMM.

Chris.

1. Sierra Sidewinder

2. Pony Express

3. Montezooma's Revenge

4. Ghostrider

5. Jaguar

6. Timberline Twister

7. Boomerang

8. Xcelerator

9. Silver Bullet

10. Perilous Plunge

The roller coasters in italics are the rides that I could understand Knott's advertising as 'extreme'. (I included Perilous Plunge since Knott's considers it a coaster) The ones in bold are the rides that are exclusive to the park (or rides that are rare), and in my opinion only two of the bolded rides are really worth riding.

That's only two coasters out of their entire lineup that I'd consider 'extreme'. And in my opinion, I'd consider Monty and Boomerang family coasters, so that makes more than half of Knott's coasters family rides. I don't think the "Ride on, coaster warriors" slogan really fits the park to be honest.