• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

* When heated, this also makes a great sauce for food

You´re right! Should take it on the tomorrow´s menu!

But to be concret:

The problem today is the advertising and the society in general is trying to let you believe that you can´t have fun without alcohol!

While at the business, I NEVER drink alcoholic drinks because I have to keep my head clear, but I hardly need my after-work beer, even if I´m a catholic christ.

Well thank God for soap, lysol and medicine! But just because alcohol may or may not make you sick, then I guess cigarettes are just as bad. Even if it takes a bit longer for the effects to be seen, that doesn't make them any less harmful to your health.

Actually there have been studies that show that drinking in moderation leads to improved health, specifically heart function. Just because binge drinking damages your body doesn't mean that ALL drinking damages your body. So yes, there is a huge difference between smoking cigarettes and consuming alcohol.

If I know alcohol, in the long run, MIGHT lead to a disease or illness then I must stay away from it... I hope that makes sense.

Cool, do you live in a bubble because the entire earth is filled with stuff that could lead to illness.

Well thank God for soap, lysol and medicine! But just because alcohol may or may not make you sick, then I guess cigarettes are just as bad. Even if it takes a bit longer for the effects to be seen, that doesn't make them any less harmful to your health.

What about sugar? High fructose corn syrup? Fatty meat? Cheese? Processed foods? Do you not eat any of these things?

Actually there have been studies that show that drinking in moderation leads to improved health, specifically heart function. Just because binge drinking damages your body doesn't mean that ALL drinking damages your body. So yes, there is a huge difference between smoking cigarettes and consuming alcohol.

Correct me, if I´m wrong:

Alcohol has a disinfectant effect, so, when you drink a beer after smoking a cigarette, doesn´t tha mean that the alcohol that is contained in the beer flushes away the bad things you inhalated with your cigarette?!!

I agree that wine has in healthy advantages which has been medically proven. The point I was making is that alcohol might eventually lead to liver damage or other conditions that are not fun to have later on in life. I know I can attest to that because I had an uncle that almost died for just drinking a couple of beers every 3-4 days. He was only 49 but he was not a binge drinker. Again my point is that it might lead to something along the road but why risk that chance. But like I said I'm just pointing out what a biblical point of view just in case you have friends that abstain from drinking. That's all.

Just a little something to look at on this topic... there are other related articles on this page as well.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080604074908.htm

Just a snippet:

How, scientists wonder, do the French get away with a clean bill of heart health despite a diet loaded with saturated fats?

The answer to the so-called "French paradox" may be found in red wine. More specifically, it may reside in small doses of resveratrol, a natural constituent of grapes, pomegranates, red wine and other foods, according to a new study by an international team of researchers.

Writing June 3 in the online, open-access journal Public Library of Science One, the researchers report that low doses of resveratrol in the diet of middle-aged mice has a widespread influence on the genetic levers of aging and may confer special protection on the heart.

Specifically, the researchers found that low doses of resveratrol mimic the effects of what is known as caloric restriction - diets with 20-30 percent fewer calories than a typical diet - that in numerous studies has been shown to extend lifespan and blunt the effects of aging.

"This brings down the dose of resveratrol toward the consumption reality mode," says senior author Richard Weindruch, a University of Wisconsin-Madison professor of medicine and a researcher at the William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital. "At the same time, it plugs into the biology of caloric restriction."

Previous research has shown that resveratrol in high doses extends lifespan in invertebrates and prevents early mortality in mice given a high-fat diet. The new study, conducted by researchers from academia and industry, extends those findings, showing that resveratrol in low doses and beginning in middle age can elicit many of the same benefits as a reduced-calorie diet.

You really shouldn't have problems with anything done in moderation. Anything overdone is typically bad: Eating, drinking, smoking... self righteous preaching... usually these are the things we generally want to cut down on.

Terry

If I know alcohol, in the long run, MIGHT lead to a disease or illness then I must stay away from it... I hope that makes sense.

Cool, do you live in a bubble because the entire earth is filled with stuff that could lead to illness.

What about sugar? High fructose corn syrup? Fatty meat? Cheese? Processed foods? Do you not eat any of these things?

Again alcohol is obviously more harmful that all those things you listed there... hence you don't see any kids drinking alcohol with their happy meals. Please keep the comments coming I really appreciate them, they keep me on my toes.

Again alcohol is obviously more harmful that all those things you listed there... hence you don't see any kids drinking alcohol with their happy meals.

Is that not because the legal drinking age is 21 and it would be against the law for Maccy Ds to give kiddies gin and tonic with their happy meals?

^ Remember my friend I'm only bringing a biblical point of view. I'm using the Bible as my reference and it says to stay away from it because of some consequences that might arrive. He just wants to save you from any doctor bills that might arrive down the road. Remember I'm not trying to convert you I just trying to explain my belief as a Christian. As always everyone's comments are welcomed!

^^^^They have a lower drinking age in Europe and I believe they are healthier than we are in the States! We are just so uptight about the wrong things in the States and then the real problems we ignore blow up in our face... then we gotta scramble. If we had real and honest discussions about sex and alcohol rather than the "doom-and-gloom-you're-going-to-hell-you-filthy-sinner-sweep-it-under-the-rug" speeches, people would be a lot more responsible about these type of choices.

But just because alcohol may or may not make you sick, then I guess cigarettes are just as bad.

Again alcohol is obviously more harmful that all those things you listed there.

I agree that wine has in healthy advantages which has been medically proven.

Needless to say I don't understand the logic here.

First sentence of that article:

Alcohol abuse kills some 75,000 Americans each year and shortens the lives of these people by an average of 30 years, a U.S. government study suggested Thursday.

Can anybody tell me the key word here?

But just because alcohol may or may not make you sick, then I guess cigarettes are just as bad.

Again alcohol is obviously more harmful that all those things you listed there.

I agree that wine has in healthy advantages which has been medically proven.

Needless to say I don't understand the logic here.

Please remember the I choose to COMPLETELY avoid alcohol. That does not mean one glass of wine (which I know is healthy) it bad or makes you a sinner. If you read those Bible verses I put up they talked about "drunkenness." That obviously mean going beyond your limit.

^^ Well here's a link showing that alcohol is linked to 75,000 U.S deaths a year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6089353/

Can you prove to me any of those one things you listed can top the death rate of Alcohol in a year?

Heart disease: 652,091

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/FASTATS/deaths.htm

http://www.causesofheartdisease.com/heart-disease-prevention.html

Cholesterol

Eating a diet that is high in cholesterol increases one’s risk of heart disease.

High blood cholesterol is a major factor that places a person at a higher risk for heart attack. When an individual has high blood cholesterol, he or she is at an increased risk of heart attack because cholesterol can form plaques in the interior lining of the coronary arteries, causing a blockage of blood to the heart. Cholesterol in the blood can only break up and dissolve if it is combined with proteins called lipoproteins. The "bad cholesterol" that people receive too much of by eating an unhealthy diet contains low-density lipoproteins (LDL), which do not prevent the build up of cholesterol plagues. On the other hand, a diet of foods with "good cholesterol," which consist of high-density lipoproteins, helps dissolve protein from the surface of coronary arterial plaques.

There are steps you can take to lower your bad cholesterol intake, as well as to raise the good cholesterol levels in your blood. Taking these measures can lower your risk of a heart attack:

* Lose extra weight

* Eat a diet that is low in saturated fats

* Exercise regularly

* Take medications that decrease the bad cholesterol in your blood

Please remember the I choose to COMPLETELY avoid alcohol. That does not mean one glass of wine (which I know is healthy) it bad or makes you a sinner. If you read those Bible verses I put up they talked about "drunkenness." That obviously mean going beyond your limit.

Here's the thing man, you originally posted saying that you wanted to share your religious views. I immediately decided not to post in response to your views because 1) I don't want to debate or disrespect someone's religious views and 2) I'm not 21, so this is kind of a mute point for me. However, you're not even talking about religion, you're talking about faulty logic. Burying your head in the sand and claiming that it's religion just makes this whole argument seem ridiculous, especially when you're not even really talking about religion! So is your argument against getting drunk now? The giant letters that read "alcohol" in your first post lead me to believe you're talking about alcohol.

I'm trying, for the sake of everyone, not to talk to religiously about it. Please, please remember that I'm only stating what the Bible says and why I believe it. I'm not to change anyone's mind because that's up to the individual to decide for their own.

THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU SAID AT ALL!!!

This is just STRAIGHT QUOTING YOU!

Now before everyone kills me just let me clarify one thing… I'm not saying whoever drinks is "evil or of the devil." Taiko No Devil I just want to explain why Alcohol should be something you should stay away from in life because of what it can do to your life if you're not careful. Yes I know Jesus made wine for that wedding in Canaan, but I'll get to that in a minute. First I would like to hear your thoughts on why Alcohol isn't a big deal and why you guys think Alcohol should be enjoyed by everyone when they want too. I will post my answer after a few responses.

One important thing about alcohol is that in the long run it does damage your liver through time. Even though it does take a long time for it to do any serious harm, the threat is always there.

Now in the Bible it mentions our bodies are the "Temple of God" (1 Cor. 6:19-29) so being so we need to keep it clean and out of harms way. So here's where my faith as a Christian comes in. If I know alcohol, in the long run, MIGHT lead to a disease or illness then I must stay away from it... I hope that makes sense.

But just because alcohol may or may not make you sick, then I guess cigarettes are just as bad. Even if it takes a bit longer for the effects to be seen, that doesn't make them any less harmful to your health.

I agree that wine has in healthy advantages which has been medically proven. The point I was making is that alcohol might eventually lead to liver damage or other conditions that are not fun to have later on in life. I know I can attest to that because I had an uncle that almost died for just drinking a couple of beers every 3-4 days. He was only 49 but he was not a binge drinker. Again my point is that it might lead to something along the road but why risk that chance.

Again alcohol is obviously more harmful that all those things you listed there... hence you don't see any kids drinking alcohol with their happy meals. Please keep the comments coming I really appreciate them, they keep me on my toes.

You straight up said ALCOHOL (not being drunk, not abusing it, JUST ALCOHOL).

And again, let me quote this one again.

One important thing about alcohol is that in the long run it does damage your liver through time. Even though it does take a long time for it to do any serious harm, the threat is always there.

Now in the Bible it mentions our bodies are the "Temple of God" (1 Cor. 6:19-29) so being so we need to keep it clean and out of harms way. So here's where my faith as a Christian comes in. If I know alcohol, in the long run, MIGHT lead to a disease or illness then I must stay away from it... I hope that makes sense.

If you replace the words "alcohol" with "Big Mac", and "liver" with "heart", what is the difference?

Does the Bible have any sort of handy graph that shows my Serious Harm to Time ratio?

If I did not come across clear the first time, I sincerely apologize. I'll be more than happy to clarify it again. The Bible says that alcohol is something, as a christian, that we should stay away from. The reason being that it MIGHT lead into to a negative consequence(s). (illness, drunkenness, disease, altering in judgment, ALCOHOLISM...)

The point I was trying to make all along is explaining why I do not choose to drink. Again you can disagree with me completely and that's not a problem to me. Once again I'm just trying to make discussions about topics in life but showing you guys a Biblical point of view.

Most of the scripture on this subject in the Bible deals with either eating too much (gluttony) or being drunk. Thus if you feel you will get into trouble by drinking, please don't do it; but don't use an erroneous interpretation of the Bible to spoil it for the rest of us and make us people feel like their gonna burn in Hell for drinking. People are doing far worse things. I'm thinking the spirit of what the scripture says is that don't over do it so much that you are given into wild visions or do bad things while under the influence.

But I think a bigger ill right now is gluttony, considering the high deaths from heart disease... but I'm not seeing any campaigns for people to stop eating the fatty foods. So why are we focusing on a smaller number of people when more almost 10 times the people are dying from gluttony?

And finally:

LUK 12:19 And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up

for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry."'

'Nuff said.

Terry

56253944_drinkingforpleasure.jpg.6940afb8c4c8c01bc7fbc18e9484e155.jpg

I think she's past given into wild visions. She has no vision!