TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Jesus said what?!

Hey everyone my name is Josh and I wanted to open this thread to show what the Bible says about so many things pertaining to our daily life. I have many friends that tell me "Man you're no fun because you don't do this, or you don't do that." Well I guess it's time to explain why people like myself seem we're life's “party poopers” and give you a peek to why we might seem like that.

By the way some of you might see some things here that you might not think are wrong but I will try to do my best to use the Bible as reasons why some things should and shouldn't be done. Please feel free to voice your opinions, questions and concerns. Please feel free to challenge anything you read hear at anytime. (Just be nice about it)

And please keep in mind I want to do this for others to voice their opinion on anything you read here. Also please remember I’m not here to disrespect anyone or to convert anyone into my faith. People have the freedom of choice to do what they want and I totally respect that. I just think people would like to discuss topics and voice out their own point of view. The only thing I'm trying to do here is to answers all those questions that have been asked through time but in a biblical perspective.... That's all!!! You don't have to agree with anything that I write here but (but I would like to hear why) I think this will give a chance for others to open up in this thread with all the great people we have in TPR.

Now to start off with a bang, let's start up with a DOOZY!!! Now this one always comes up when I go eat with co-workers or attend family parties. If you haven't guessed it yet, yup it's............ ALCOHOL, booze, the "hard stuff!"

Now before everyone kills me just let me clarify one thing… I'm not saying whoever drinks is "evil or of the devil." I just want to explain why Alcohol should be something you should stay away from in life because of what it can do to your life if you're not careful. Yes I know Jesus made wine for that wedding in Canaan, but I'll get to that in a minute. First I would like to hear your thoughts on why Alcohol isn't a big deal and why you guys think Alcohol should be enjoyed by everyone when they want too. I will post my answer after a few responses.

P.S. I know am going against the norm with this topic but I think it would be great to see the other side of the coin when you know people that stay away from certain things due to their faith. There's always a reason behind it and I will be more than happy to show you that other side. Have fun and enjoy!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As always, I'd like to remind everyone to keep it civil in here. Political and religious discussions often degenerate into personal attacks and general bad posting. Please keep it nice or the topic will be locked very quickly.

Thanks

Yes please no need to offend when voicing your opinions. I want to make it as comfortable as possible. It's great when you can use your mind and heart into putting what you feel inside of you into words. Thanks again for giving this thread a chance.

With regard to alcohol use, I was raised in a conservative Baptist church where alcohol was forbidden. The Baptists' belief comes from where Jesus said, "Be ye not wine bibbers [drinkers]." My interpretation of that is that Jesus was saying not to overindulge and abuse it. To me, an occasional glass of wine or a can of beer is nothing to worry about. (I never liked alcohol anyway, so I never really got into it. And being a diabetic using insulin, it could actually kill me.)

Basically, I don't give temperance lectures to friends who do choose to enjoy a little alcohol.

I may chime in later on other issues. This is a good topic provided it remains civil. And it will as long as either side doesn't come in and start bashing the other.

Eric

Keep the comments coming guys, everyone is welcome to post a response no matter how short or long it is. Remember this topic is NOT about "You're wrong and I'm right", this topic is and should be "Oh I didn't know you (myself) didn't do that because..." I hope that clears up some doubts.

^ Very honestly, I agree. But for me, alcohol interacts with insulin and can result in dangerously low blood sugar. So I just eat healthy (I can eat grapes, which contain some of the same beneficial components as wine).

Eric

Salty Dog recipe

5 oz grapefruit juice

1 1/2 oz gin

1/4 tsp salt

Pour all ingredients over ice cubes in a highball glass. Stir well and serve. (Vodka may be substituted for gin, if preferred.)

I'd take it with the Gin, providing Jesus allows this?

I'm making enough for 20.

Eye Opening Bloody Mary recipe

Scale ingredients to servings

15000 ml vodka

920 oz can V8® vegetable juice

60 tbsp white horseradish

60 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

60 tbsp fresh lime juice

20 tbsp Tabasco® sauce

30 tsp celery salt

20 tsp ground red cayenne peppers

Add half amount of V8 juice to pitcher. Add all other ingredients, except vodka and stir vigorously. Add remaining amount of V8 juice and stir again. Add vodka; stir once more. Pour into ice-filled glasses, garnish with celery stalks and serve.

On a related note, somehow I think the Lord would be concerned about what comes out one's mouth than what goes in it.

Terry "Bottoms Up" Weaver

This thread sums up my thoughts on alcohol: Latest Beer or Wine you've had

I'll be honest, I have at least a drink every other day. Most likely two. I like beer. There's more to alcohol than going out and getting hammered off of Bud Light. I drink with lots of people that enjoy beer, and it's many varieties. I can count on one hand how many times I've seen someone completely hammered. Once. Intelligent people that know their limitations and see alcohol as a something more than a drink to get yourself drunk over. And trust me, I come from a family history of alcoholism.

Two, I am not religious. I was raised Catholic, and wanted nothing to do with it. I don't think a God should have any say in what I should or should not drink. There's bigger problems he/she/they should be worried about.

Alright guys just to show you guys how this thread is going to be like I will answer this first point and hopefully get a conversation started. Now again I must stress this is coming from a Biblical perspective and you can totally reject it at any time.

Well just to give you guys a little history about myself I did grow up in the church but boy did I have my issues (and still have) in my life. Concerning alcohol, I actually have never had a drink in my life. I'm 23 now so there have been numerous opportunities to drink but I have never pursued them.

Now 'Wes" brought up an EXCELLENT point. From his statement I can conclude that he probably drinks and does it RESPONSIBLY. (Please correct me if I'm wrong by the way) I think this actually applies to the majority of you and I truly respect that and I think everyone on the roads do as well.

I know that many people enjoy drinking because it's truly enjoyable with the taste it brings or it being able to relax you in a way. Now of course if you over do it you obviously could fall into alcoholism which leads to many negative roads which God never intended us to go through. One important thing about alcohol is that in the long run it does damage your liver through time. Even though it does take a long time for it to do any serious harm, the threat is always there.

Now in the Bible it mentions our bodies are the "Temple of God" (1 Cor. 6:19-29) so being so we need to keep it clean and out of harms way. So here's where my faith as a Christian comes in. If I know alcohol, in the long run, MIGHT lead to a disease or illness then I must stay away from it... I hope that makes sense. Another way to think about it is you bought yourself a brand new spanking car. You're car is spotless but one thing you love to do is to get fast food and sometimes eat in your car. Eventually some soda and ketchup stains start appearing in your car whenever you eat the food in your car. Now the stains won't affect your motor or transmission of the car but who would want a sweet car with a messy interior?

I hope you guys understood my example and as you can see now you have an idea why I don't drink or have the need to do it.

I didn't want to clog up the post by writing wordy Bible verses but here are some if you guys would ever want to check them out yourselves.

(Proverbs 20:1) - Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging.

(1 Peter 4:3-4 )- The past life of drunkenness and carousing has no place in the Christian’s life.

(Ephesians 5:18) - In contrast to being drunk with wine, the believer is to be filled with the Spirit.

A list of 75 verses can be found here (http://www.scionofzion.com/drinking.htm)

I'll post another topic after this one has been discussed a bit.

I had a beer yesterday. It was a Blue Moon and they put a slice of orange on the side.

Pretty good.

I usually have one or two beers while socializing with friends. I usually have a good meal as well. I usually drink my beers so slow that they usually end up warm... but I like to savor whatever I eat or drink.

I know people that drink to get drunk and usually I don't hang with them because their personality changes so much that they're not fun to be around.

Another recipe:

Hail Mary Drink Recipe

Ingredients to use:

1.0 beaten Eggs

1.0 dash Grenadine

2.0 cups Orange juice

5.0 drops Tabasco

2.0 shots OVAL Vodka

Directions: Beat the egg and put into small bowl. Add orange juice, stir. Then add vodka. Finally add 5 drops of tabasco. Grenadine is optional. Stir and put straw in bowl. ENJOY!! Before you drink, say a Hail Mary.

If I know alcohol, in the long run, MIGHT lead to a disease or illness then I must stay away from it... I hope that makes sense.

Cool, do you live in a bubble because the entire earth is filled with stuff that could lead to illness.

Melon Kamikaze

1 oz vodka

1 oz triple sec

1 oz melon liqueur

2 oz sweet and sour mix

Mix sour mix, triple sec, and vodka together with ice in a shaker and shake well. Strain into a cocktail glass over ice and add 1 oz of melon liqueur.

^No.

Mary's got a lot of sisters!

Chinese Mary:

* Vodka

* Sweet

* Sour Sauce

* Lemon Juice

* Worcestershire Sauce

* Soy Sauce

* Tabasco® Sauce

* Pineapple

Quantities for one drink:

* 1 1/2 oz Vodka

* 3 oz Sweet And Sour Sauce

* 1 Dash Lemon Juice

* 1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce

* 3 Drops Soy Sauce

* 3 Drops Tabasco® Sauce

* 1 Pineapple

Blending Instructions:

* Make like a Bloody Mary, improvising with ingredients until you find your preferred taste and texture

* Try adding extra vodka to thin out the sauce a little

* When heated, this also makes a great sauce for food

Terry "I'm thirsty now but I gotta work some more" Weaver

If I know alcohol, in the long run, MIGHT lead to a disease or illness then I must stay away from it... I hope that makes sense.

Cool, do you live in a bubble because the entire earth is filled with stuff that could lead to illness.

Well thank God for soap, lysol and medicine! But just because alcohol may or may not make you sick, then I guess cigarettes are just as bad. Even if it takes a bit longer for the effects to be seen, that doesn't make them any less harmful to your health.