TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Marching band, anyone?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Yeah. I loved watching Blast! in band class this year!

My favorite Blast! song would have to be "Simple Gifts".

Here's last year's Indoor Percussion show entitled "Life".

Your ensemble is very good!

The percussion ensemble for my high school is not a marching percussion ensemble, but we came in first in the world for our division last year at the world competition in Dayton, Ohio.

I'm not in it but were pretty dang proud of our band here at ERHS.

Very impressive. Your school has a great drumline!

I wish the people at my school were that good...

I'm curious, has anybody on TPR marched drum corps? I auditioned for Crossmen this November and made it to second round, but couldn't make those auditions. Next year I plan on trying out for both Boston Crusaders and Crossmen again.

Where was this thread at when I was still in marching band??

I played Tenor Sax when I was in the Marching band. Here's some photos and clips of my Alumni. Norfolk State University Spartan "Legion" "BEHOLD THE GREEN AND GOLD!"

Oh yea? I played Tenor Sax from my alumni, FAMU's Marching 100. Came up fall '99. Definitely remember playing against Norfolk every year. (I think yall came down to Tally once) Good times, good times. What year you came up?

L.D. Bell is definitely the best in Texas. Hands down.

Woodlands... meh, they're alright.

Well, I've only seen a few of the Woodland's shows. I forget what year it was, but their show "Hide and Seek" and "Numbers" were what really impressed me. This year's show was pretty 'blah' though.

Your drumline is awesome! The show was really entertaining. Congrats on the first place!

I've played trumpet through out middle school (6th,7th,8th) and now im in the lecanto high band and I play Tenors (quads) in the drumline and winter drumline. I also converted to baritone for concert season!

And this november im auditioning for Teal Sound drum and bugle corp. (DCI)

~Ryan

I played snare all through high school in marching band and set for pep band. I was on the percussion staff for 15 years and now my son is a junior who plays snare. My wife was a trumpet player and son no.2 is a trumpet player in 7th grade right now.....And I am president of our Band Booster group.

Yeah, I wasn't into band much....

My youngest daughter played Trombone from 7th thru her graduation. She loved it. Their high school band was about 200 strong and sounded great, even while slippin' in the mud several falls during football games.

They played the State and County Fairs, tons of parades and many concerts.

I think one of the funniest things they did was during one football games two years ago. Instead of charging the field yelling olmstead falls, they screamed "FOR SPARTAAAAAAAAA!" I still laugh thinking about it. their band director turned beet red and made them do laps after the game. It was raining like mad, but those kids smiled all the way through the laps.

My daughter told me to tell you guys:

Don't ever give up band. It's the most fun you can have in high school without worrying about police coming after you.

Yeah, I played Tenor Sax for the Rock Island High School Marching Band, the Pride of Rock Island, for 4 years now. I was section leader for 3 of the 4 years. Let's just say our director killed the love in music in all of us. Most of the seniors have quit concert band this semester because we all hate our teacher (I didn't, but I almost wish I had).

I've been playing alto sax since 6th grade. I'm not really that much into marching band as I used to be, so I'm stopping after high school. But, I love concert band, so I'm thinking I'll do that in college still. It's fun!

NICE! Anther alto sax player!

But... you're going to regret not doing band in high school, I know because I almost made the same mistake. There's so much to do and even if you're not into marching band itself, all the things you do are so much fun that it doesn't really even matter. In fact, there are kids in my band that aren't interested in band like the rest of us are, but love being in it for the friends and the fun.

So don't give it up! What FlyingScooter's daughter said is so true:

Don't ever give up band. It's the most fun you can have in high school without worrying about police coming after you.

I want to play quads when I go to high school, but the schedule is totally ridiculous. They have practices Monday through Thursday, they're supposed to practice like 150 hours a year, and they have a mandatory three week band camp in the summer.

You do know that's less than 1/2 hour a day, right?

NICE! Anther alto sax player!

But... you're going to regret not doing band in high school, I know because I almost made the same mistake. There's so much to do and even if you're not into marching band itself, all the things you do are so much fun that it doesn't really even matter. In fact, there are kids in my band that aren't interested in band like the rest of us are, but love being in it for the friends and the fun.

I suppose so. We'll just see what happens in the next year.

Anyways, I did some digging on YouTube and found my band's half-time show from this year! This video was taken at a competition where we got 1st place.

I was in Jazz Band, Marching band, Symph band...

Me and some of my friends got kicked out for bad behavior. It was fun while it lasted, the teacher was a jerk so no one really took anything seriously except for the harcore band nerds. We pretty much sucked really bad, but it was fun goofing off and stuff. times in band (Doing not really band stuff..) have been some of the most fun times in my life. I don't regret taking it at all.

Oh and alto sax FTW

And did anyone go to magic music days in Disneyland?? That was pretty fun, untill the teacher cut the trip short to do a performance no one wanted to do

I want to play quads when I go to high school, but the schedule is totally ridiculous. They have practices Monday through Thursday, they're supposed to practice like 150 hours a year, and they have a mandatory three week band camp in the summer.

You do know that's less than 1/2 hour a day, right?

Not in a 180 day school year it isn't