TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My heart attack.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have a history of heart problems in my family (Both grandfathers have had issues, dad has high blood pressure), diet is a big thing with me. Ive quit using salt so much (sea/kosher salt if needed, mrs dash or similar for seasoning elsewise). Ive also decreased my red meat intake dramatically, as its being shown that not only can it cause problems with the heart, but elevating risk for cancer as well. Lastly, I bake/broil now more than I fry, I miss the "taste" of something deep-fried, but my heart is alot more thankful for it...

"Well, we walk out with a half pound of unsalted nuts..." (buttonman700)

I get my snacks at Target, and I buy their Archer Farms brand nuts---unsalted roasted almonds, cashews, and mixed nuts. A handful a day is a good, healthy snack. And I throw in a couple of squares of dark chocolate, too (I buy the Lindt 85% cacao bars).

Eric

just in from a short walk. The real bummer is my gout popped up, the good thing is my NEW Heart Doc is giving me something for the gout!

EBL, I'll drop in at Target and take a look at the snacks there.

Something we found are sugar free popsicles and skinny cow for a real treat. PRunes, apples, bananas and grapes.

Stay in touch all...

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you're doing better.

My father died of a massive heart attack at 43. It's not always your weight that causes such things. He weighed 150 but was a smoker and had a very stressful job. I went into nursing as a result of the whole situation because I didn't like not understanding the situation. I now work in an ICU. I checked my cholesterol a couple months ago and it was great, so I was relieved.

• 1 month later...

^ 40 lbs. is a significant loss of weight. I hope you're getting out and doing some walking, as that's great for the heart and easy to do.

Do keep us posted. Your journal sounds like it be something that could benefit others.

Eric

EDIT: If you are walking, try to include some hills. That helps strengthen your heart.

Congrats on the weight loss! I'm always so happy to hear about someone getting serious about lifestyle changes, after a health scare.

I'm a neurology RN, and we have a lot of "frequent fliers," people who just don't take care of themselves.

I would probably be out of a job, if it weren't for people who smoke/drink/drug, and/or don't manage their high blood pressure, diabetes, or weight.

Seriously, I'd bet at least 90% of my patients land in the hospital due to lifestyle choices. We all tend to think, "It won't happen to me."

Keep up the great work!

• 2 weeks later...