TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Flying LA to Melbourne on an A380

Cameron

Hey Guys,

I know that a trip in a plane doesn't typically warrant a photo trip report, but this particular trip was in one of the new Airbus A380 planes; of which there are only 13 currently flying. The flight from LA to Melbourne is pretty impressive on Qantas even on a "normal" 747, but add the A380 in the mix and it gets really special.

Now before I go any further I should point out that I am a bit of a Boeing fan-boy, especially the good-ole 747. However I went in to the A380 not only open minded, but actively excited. Still though it really seems more of a Vekoma, compared to the B&M that is Boeing. I mean by the end of the flight, several bathrooms were out of order due to broken door locks, or clogged sinks. The inside of the plane (at least as far as "cattle-class" goes) seems in some ways even worse than the 747s, the biggest example being the solid plastic armrests. Still it is an incredible machine, and I'm thrilled I got the chance to fly in one (my return flight has a 747 scheduled).

I manged to get actual sleep for about 5 hours, and snooze on and off for probably another 5. For the rest I ate (food, drinks, snacks (including all the red apples you can eat) are all free on Qantas), and watched some of the ample entertainment.

On with the pictures!

IMG_0859.JPG.60cc9b3b10ed21f18a6bb68caaa15e89.JPG

And a very mediocre view of beautiful downtown Melbourne from the Bolte Bridge.

IMG_0857.JPG.abb85a82a7f6f0221183ca81adfa22c0.JPG

At the gate now, and I watched the (duel) Jetways move into position. It was super-cool.

IMG_0854.JPG.1c9f80640aff1f78af5dfbb57efe7401.JPG

The plane is now taxiing to the gate. The other planes all look so tiny (this is mostly due to the fish-eye on the TailCam).

IMG_0853.JPG.e815a20ae13f8f637730cf35a973f5d7.JPG

And we're down! Brakes are applied, and the plane rapidly slows down.

IMG_0851.JPG.042d59c4f6aaaf809910807a2d4234ed.JPG

About 2 seconds before touch-down. Note all the black skid-marks on the runway!

IMG_0850.JPG.22e30d02712558f0fb656facba6c9cca.JPG

Probably about 10 seconds before touchdown - I could actually see the flaps on the wings extend. (Remember, this is displayed as live video on screen - it was amazing to watch).

IMG_0848.JPG.cf3b6ca4ff52a2cfbf3a109a2dd63d7b.JPG

TailCam shows the end of the runway just in front of the nose - we're only a few hundred feet in the air at this point. Tray tables are locked, and seat-backs are up.

IMG_0846.JPG.433670ad7ed05596bdf52cff0f35659e.JPG

Turning to begin the final approach to landing.

IMG_0842.JPG.5d685de61972c89b0fded1abc6626f2d.JPG

Almost there - The last hour is always such a relief!

IMG_0840.JPG.8ac040577e2c7fe19234871f7dae2f8d.JPG

The best part about the A380 is the TailCam, which you can watch live on your screen. This camera is mounted in the (8 story tall) tail, facing forward.

IMG_0839.JPG.82c99dc7f373c7c015f4583c8a9bfb02.JPG

When you press the "flush" button to flush the toilet, a pretty blue ring lights up like this (it always takes several seconds to actually flush after you pess the button).

IMG_0838.JPG.1561e452e9a03ba61ee4936b765a7b73.JPG

Half way done!

IMG_0834.JPG.21d65b02ec4946fe9151d808a07809d2.JPG

The sink in the bathroom is cool. The faucet turns on automatically with an IR beam, but you use the red and blue buttons to adjust the temperature - which is then indicated with the coloured lights.

IMG_0831.JPG.e8dff4c66fc6aee2f7755ee322f7edd0.JPG

Some of the "Premiere" movies - note that there are 18 movies available (I didn't watch any).

IMG_0829.JPG.6a2ac0b707b3d486e60c898895364a84.JPG

I watched this docco about the A380 engineering, which was narrated by Richard Hammond!

IMG_0827.JPG.6c38651cd9785f726fe864aba85f7461.JPG

One channel shows a real-time map of the flight path. I took this photo about 90 minutes after we took off. There's a long way to go! (This also shows off one of my biggest programming gripes: 1 minuteS .. argh!).

IMG_0825.JPG.1456d4a3c933c03240a09924c5b545f4.JPG

There is a seat-to-seat chat system available (the other seat has to be setup to receive messages from your seat). There's also a system to send SMS messages to any cell phone (for like $1 a message), or make phone calls. No actual internet access .. yet.

IMG_0823.JPG.8e3898d1d7bbdf8d0c32332b17988af1.JPG

Game categories include "3D", "Action", "Arcade", "Gaming", etc. I was actually too "busy" to play any of these!

IMG_0821.JPG.7f53b36f60b7b381c12e16391f54f126.JPG

Six of the nine "encore" movies which are available.

IMG_0819.JPG.5eb921aade8c285ff8f8266121e7dd67.JPG

I was absolutely floored to see both seasons of Fawlty Towers in here. DON'T MENTION THE WAR! (Most of my non-sleeping time was spent watching this, and also "IT Crowd" which I had on my phone).

IMG_0818.JPG.e13baa8813d23a8c9163b018ab2f33d4.JPG

Each seat is fitted with a touch-screen, which is the source of all entertainment and information during the flight. This gives each passenger their own video-on-demand system, which allows them to choose tv shows, movies, radio, audio books, etc. The nice thing is that it's all under passenger control, including pause and fast winding etc.

IMG_0817.JPG.96cb008cd6574aa6806800659d7357ce.JPG

On the back is a full QWERTY keyboard, and a game-pad.

IMG_0816.JPG.2f28a93689f0d0d09d66a6f0d5fbf01d.JPG

Flip open the top of the armrest, and there's this little (wired) remote control inside. The topside of the controller features typical seat controls that are found on a 747.

IMG_0815.JPG.3c6f4c7cfa37c16c7645ac0b67700e1b.JPG

This is a 15 hour flight. This means that when I sit down and look at my watch, I have to come to terms with the fact that the LITTLE hand has to go alllll the way around (and then some!).

IMG_0814.JPG.f99f4c5a5f86e5ba0537bba6cf34e2c5.JPG

These planes are *big*. Looking out the window you just see a whole wall of plane. Note that there are actually two Jetways present, one for the upper deck and one for the lower.

IMG_0812.JPG.fddcc754cc008e5aaf18ddd6077a045f.JPG

I rocked up to the gate several hours early. It had been 4 years since I was last in Melbourne, so I was super excited.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd also be curious to see some photos of the interior if you have any.

I'm not really jumping on the idea of flying on this thing yet, as 'doom and gloom' as it sounds, I really believe that most of these planes need a giant fatal crash or problem to improve them and find flaws that no computer model can predict.

I'm not really jumping on the idea of flying on this thing yet, as 'doom and gloom' as it sounds, I really believe that most of these planes need a giant fatal crash or problem to improve them and find flaws that no computer model can predict.

I was sort of thinking the same thing. It's sad, but true how that usually works.

Also, how cool would it have been to see a tail cam on the Hudson crash landing?

Cool photos. More planes need to have those seat-back TVs installed with on demand programming. Though I think I'd end up watching the Tail Cam the entire flight if that was available.

Have fun on your trip! Try not to be eaten by all the sharks that are apparently currently surrounding Australia (this was on the news yesterday, squeezed into a few seconds between all-important OctoMom updates).

dt

^^^^ Sadly I didn't get any photos of the cabin. The thing is that the cabin looks pretty similar to a 747, so I didn't think it was worth the photo (plus with all the people around, I felt a little odd snapping really general pictures). Although now I realize that most people wouldn't have been in a 747 anyway, so the cabin picture would have been pretty cool. Sorry!

It was cool to be in one, but the 747 is still my favorite! The fact that the 747 is still around and still so relevant and important after almost 40 years, shows how far ahead of the times Boeing was (and what an incredible accomplishment the design and engineering was).

Cameron.

Nice report, one of my friends works for Qantas and as an engineer for the A380. There was a story that if LAX wasn't less busy because of the economic downturn that would have trouble handling A380's.

What were the seats like compared to the 747, I hear they recline by pushing up more than back?

Have a good time in Melbourne, if that's possible (I'm from Sydney, and we call Melbourne bleak city and Melbournites mexicans). I've never been to Melbourne for pleasure, only business.

I'm from Sydney, and we call Melbourne bleak city and Melbournites mexicans

Really? That's a bit mental.

Anyway the seats do recline by also pushing the seat-pad forward a little.

The Qantas staff are amazing on this flight, certainly light-years better than stupid United. All through the flight they were offering us snacks like cookies and apples, and more water than even I could drink .. They even had hot chocolate (with marshmellows!) during the main meals. All for free!

The seats didn't feel any more or less comfortable than the 747s .. although the interior as a whole seemed to have a lot more hard plastic (like the interior of a cheap car). I don't know if this is how all A380s are setup, or whether Qantas simply outfitted the plane like this.

Cameron.

I've always wanted to see an A380 for myself, yet alone fly on one. Like most though, I'd be watching the tail cam the entire time. And to think, when you fly a 747 on Flight Sim, all the other planes seem tiny...now imagine an A380 in real life.

As an airliner enthusiast, and as a person who's been on the 380 (Emirates, to Dubai, btw-) I have to say great report. It's good to see the differences in the ICE system from QF to EK- and there are some very nice differences-

Did you notice the 'wobble' the plane does during cruise (the strange 'whale like' motion of the cabin left to right)? I did- as I've seen on other Airbus 'large' aircraft.

Good job- and nice shots!

Hey bro it was nice meeting you at WCB. It was great and hope to meet up again soon whenever you come back to CA. By the way I guess with a name like "Cameron" is a dead giveaway that you can fly across the Pacific in style Well bro take care of yourself and I will try to learn that charming accent of yours ... Peace!

Very cool, Cam!! Pleased to see this, it's good to see some of these rolling out as so many airlines have cancelled or reduced their orders due to "the current economic climate"... (So sick of hearing myself say that phrase...)

Two things that I think are particularly cool are the Tailcam (though being a nervous flyer I'm not sure how much I'd be able to watch apart from when you're casually cruising above the clouds) and the Seat To Seat chat, which would have been amazing when three of us were flying to Orlando last year all sitting separately!!

Thanks for posting these!