TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Planning a trip to Six Flags Great Adventure April 26th

Sooo, I was looking for a SFGA discussion thread, but couldn't find one, so I decided to just make my own post. Does TPR have more of a west coast and midwest following/member base? That may be why...

ANYWAY, My first question is:

IS there anyone who would like to join me for my first ride ever on Kingda Ka? I will be in New York from 4/23 till 4/27, flying out very early on 4/28 [which so happens to be my b-day]. I haven't figured out which day to go to the park, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try for monday the 27th betting that will be the slowest day there.

I'm not quite sure who will be going to the park with me, but it is highly likely that I will be the only person wanting to go on Kinda Ka, so I would love to meet someone out there to ride with.

Does any one know if there are any 2 for 1 coupons, or any coupons online or anywhere?

Also, is there any rides to AVOID? I will most likely go on everything once anyway, but what should be low on my priority list? Is this a park where I can most likely get on everything in one day without a problem? How are the lines on Kingda Ka?

Anything else I should know?

*edit - realized I'm actually going on the 26th sunday

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superman can certainly be skipped especially if you've been on any B&M flyer before. It gets long lines and really isn't that good. I also wouldn't wait more than 10 minutes for The Dark Knight.

I checked the park's calendar, and it won't be open on April 27th.

For the discount coupons, I believe (not sure) that McDonalds and Wawa have discounts (there's a Wawa right down the street from the park, great place to get food), but I'm not sure when they start having them, and I wouldn't count on them, so it might be safer to just buy from the park's site.

And Skull Mountain seems to get a pretty long line, if it does it might not be worth bothering. That said, it's worth a go if there isn't a line. Also, you might know this, but Medusa won't be open until Memorial Day, so you won't be able to ride that.

Have fun!

Ummm...the park opens April 4th.

If Kingda Ka is open, go on it first (or whenever you can). The weather is strange during April, it can be warm but windy and they will close KK when there is too much wind.

I usually go this time of year, this year I'll be going on either the 18th or 25th. There are hardly any lines (unless there is some youth/school group)...so you should be able to hit up everything.

Ummm...the park opens April 4th.

Yes but it's only open on weekends until Mid-May, except the week after Easter for spring break. So to the OP, you could go on Saturday or Sunday. Neither day should be particularly crowded.

awww man... i would have thought by that point in the season they would be open 7 days... and it turns out that there is a girl scout and boy scout event the weekend of the 24th and 25th. HOPEFULLY that won't mean long lines.

Does anyone know if Medusa has a clone anywhere on the west coast? Or any coaster in the park for that matter? If there's something that I have already been on, even with a different theme, I can probably skip it. I have been on everything at SFMM, California's/Paramonts Great America, and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

I REALLY like Tatsu, but its the only B&M flyer I have been on. I rode Stealth a few times at PGA but don't remember it to well... but that wasn't a B&M.

there's a slight chance I can't go on saturday or sunday, but I'll most likely figure it out. I'll be in the area with a large group of my girlfriend's family, and they all got these 3 day NYC tourist passes, but they have to be 3 consecutive days... so I dunno... we will see.

So, what is the likelyhood of Kingda Ka not opening for a whole day? That is really the #1 reason I want to make the trek...

^I'm not sure that the new Medusa will be open that weekend or not I thought is is opening Memorial Day Weekend. As for the coasters you must ride: Nitro, El Toro, Kingda Ka, & Scream Machine (I enjoy it). We have a fairly large selection of coasters but those 4 are the ones I recommend. As for S:UF I'm not a big fan of it. The seats are uncomfortable & the ride is short. Batman: The Ride is a clone so if you rode one you rode them all. Rolling Thunder is boring, painful & has no airtime & is slow to dispatch. The Runaway Mine Train is relaxing nothing special. Skull Mountain is just a bunch of turns, & if you are a credit whore ride the kiddies. Ride Kingda Ka first then do El Toro since they are most likely to break down. Dark Knight is just a standard mouse in a box so only ride it if the line is not longer than an hour. As for the boys & girls scout events GET A FLASH PASS! They are worth every penny & since your out of state & it will be your first time here (I'm assuming) then it will be very useful & you will be able to get on everything. I hope this helps now I won't be going there that weekend because of the scout event

awww man... i would have thought by that point in the season they would be open 7 days... and it turns out that there is a girl scout and boy scout event the weekend of the 24th and 25th. HOPEFULLY that won't mean long lines.

Does anyone know if Medusa has a clone anywhere on the west coast? Or any coaster in the park for that matter? If there's something that I have already been on, even with a different theme, I can probably skip it. I have been on everything at SFMM, California's/Paramonts Great America, and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

I REALLY like Tatsu, but its the only B&M flyer I have been on. I rode Stealth a few times at PGA but don't remember it to well... but that wasn't a B&M.

there's a slight chance I can't go on saturday or sunday, but I'll most likely figure it out. I'll be in the area with a large group of my girlfriend's family, and they all got these 3 day NYC tourist passes, but they have to be 3 consecutive days... so I dunno... we will see.

So, what is the likelyhood of Kingda Ka not opening for a whole day? That is really the #1 reason I want to make the trek...

There's a Medusa at SFDK yes? The one at GAdv won't be open anyway since it's getting its redo.

Superman usually has the longest line and I've never been on Tatsu but I'm sure its much better than Superman. I don't know that the Boy Scouts will make it crowded enough to warrant a flash pass...I would gauge the lines before spending all that money on one, but if it is crowded it's a good idea.

KK has been pretty reliable, but if it's raining it won't be open. I think El Toro is reason enough to make the trip, not KK, but that's just my opinion!

Scream at SFMM is a mirror-image clone of Medusa. If Medusa is open, I would recommend riding it once. I enjoyed it much more than Scream. With the retheme this year, it should be even better!

Now Matt already mentioned Batman and The Dark Knight, so I'll give the rest - Blackbeard's Train is a clone of SFDK's Cobra, and Roadrunner Railway is a clone of SFDK's Roadrunner Express.

Thanks for all the insight... So I can skip batman without question... Could I even count that as a new credit? LOL. Good to know medusa is a mirror of scream, so I won't be so bummed if it's not open. I'll be sure to check it out if it is though, just for the re-theme.

I never took the time to ride Cobra at SFDK, lol... I may next time I go... I guess im more of into getting credits now that I'm involved in TPR.

If anyone would come join me for my ride on Ka and El Toro that would be sweet. It looks like I'll be going sunday, 4/25.

Our Medusa is better than its following mirror clone Scream! at SFMM. I'm sorry that it won't be open but even if it was I'd recommend not one but at least two runs on it. Even though you were on the SFMM B:TR I suggest you would get ours. The line shouldn't be more than a half hour for it. I don't see that in late April happening either. It does not count as a credit if you do not ride the version here in person. I definitely did not pass up SFMM's B:TR when I was there.

Blackbeard Treasure Train is the easiest credit time wise to get in the park. Even get that.

I have to agree. I'll take Medusa over Scream any day. There's just something about it that made it better. Maybe the fact that it's the first floorless coaster, or so buttery smooth after 10 years, I don't know, but I liked it better.

I was able to get all the credits I wanted, plus many, many re-rides at GAdv in early June last year when school trip kids took over the park. You should have no problem at all in April. I, too say ride Batman, whether you have a credit of a clone or not, it's still a fun ride and worth many re-rides, in my opinion.

oh, don't get me wrong, I will ride everything if I have time. I was just trying to gauge what to focus on, and what to expect. I'm hoping to get to the park before opening, and go straight to Kinda Ka if its open. I would love to get 2 rides in.

anyway, hopefully someone will chime in here that might meet me there that day.

Anything else I should know?

A few additional suggestions.

SFGAdv -

Musts: Ka, Toro, Medusa, Nitro.

Skips: Great American Scream Machine (because its painful), Rolling Thunder (it hasn't been greased since the 80s), Superman: Ultimate Flight (if you've ridden Tatsu, you'll be very disappointed, especially if you wait more than 15 minutes for it)

If you're going to be in NYC anyway - take the D, F, or N Subway to Coney Island and ride the Cyclone and Wonderwheel.

If you are there all day you should be safe to ride everything, especially all of the coasters.

I went near the end of June last year on a Saturday and got there at opening. For the first 2 hours everything except Superman and Dark Knight was basically a walk on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure you will have a great time at the park. I made it there last year and was fortunate to be able to ride everything I wanted to. I would say some definite rides to hit would be Nitro, Kingda Ka, and El Toro. I would say that if you really want an amazing ride on Kingda Ka, sit as close to the front as possible, because I found the back to be rather rough.

Other than that have a great time.

DARNIT....

alright so I found out I have to do something in the morning in central park manhattan, then I will be heading back to the hotel late morning, catch a shuttle from the hotel to newark airport, then picking up the car and heading down to SFGA. It's looking like I won't get to the park untill 12 or 1, and it closes at 7pm.

The question is, do you folks think I NEED the flash pass regular to get one or 2 rides on each coaster, or could it be possible in 6-7 hours without? I'm hoping for a light crowd on a sunday that early in the season, but who knows?

Another question is- are there any single rider lines? or how do they look at single riders walking up the exit? Any clue? Thanks for any insight.

I went the same time as you are going last year and the park was not crowded at all. We did get there before opening, but we were able to ride all the coasters (including El Toro 3 times/Nitro twice) in about 4 hours. This was without the Qbot.

I would say that I have to agree with both Erik, and CHILLERLC1. Last year I went to the park on memorial day weekend expecting it to atleast have a pretty descent crowd, and even though it was a beautiful day the most I waited was 25 min and that was for Superman: Ultimate Flight. All the other rides had a maximum wait of probably 10-15 minutes, but you never really know till you get there.