TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

They really aren't playing around. I was just thinking "that's weird, I hadn't heard about Hong Kong having a surge" so I Googled it and apparently a city of 7.5 million people is shutting down for 2 weeks because they're at 88 cases and 0 deaths on a seven day rolling average.

• Like 1

^^ It's not even just Hong Kong. Singapore decided that the numbers for Hong Kong were also too high and delayed opening a 'travel bubble' between the two countries to 2021 due to it. 

At the end of the day I’m sure Disney will be fine. Ocean Park was already on government bail outs before corona and was getting a lot of negative publicity (mostly from SCMP which has a huge bias against the parks land) about that money. 

Hong Kong Disneyland reopened as of February 19th, 2021!

72ity3567tgu4t21.thumb.jpg.18bd2d714fcd22e7cde4e71dfedf9f2e.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/02/hong-kong-disneyland-announces-reopening-on-february-19/

We’re pleased to share that today Hong Kong Disneyland announced that its park will officially reopen on February 19, 2021! 

In honor of Hong Kong Disneyland’s 15th Anniversary, guests will be able to experience the new Castle of Magical Dreams, the re-imagined centerpiece of Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, and attend the special celebration of the resort’s anniversary.  During these celebrations, guests can enjoy new exhibits and audio tours to learn more about the castle’s transformation as well as enjoy exclusive merchandise and food and beverage offerings.

In alignment with the latest guidance from government and health authorities, the resort will continue to implement enhanced health and safety measures, including requiring face coverings and physical distancing. These measures will continue to be reviewed and adjusted based on the latest government regulations.

“I’m very proud of our Cast Members for their dedicated efforts in preparation for our reopening, especially during this trying time for all of us,” said Michael Moriarty, managing director for Hong Kong Disneyland. “Our recovery will be an important part of revitalizing the tourism industry in Hong Kong – serving as a beacon of hope, courage and possibility, much like our Castle of Magical Dreams.”

• Like 2

...And without all the lettering there... that shot of The Castle top, with The City in the distance....

Breathtaking! 🥰 Love it! And that's a postcard!

And Best Wishes to all involved, for an awesome re-Opening there!

1052066806_Resizeof0001_24a.jpg.30fc2d89940bde5704860f9d1a73b12d.jpg

Man, has it been nearly 9 years since then? Jon and me in front of The Old Itty-Bitty Castle. TPR China/HK Tour, 2012.

• Like 1

Well, I must admit. Now that I keep looking at that ^^^ photo, several memes come to mind...

"The Real World is Just a Fairy's Dusting Away!"

"Look Tink ~ Neverland Right Ahead!"

"Beyond Our Fantasy ~ Lies Your Reality"

😬

New construction photos of "Arendelle - Land of Frozen" posted, by HKDL_Fantasy. Thanks!

Frozen29.png.40fc1878c1332ab9fd284cd52d8ed790.png

Top of the Clock Tower in the Village, has arrived.

Frozen28.jpg.6cc666fe98fa6a7a33e24fb4a2d2b52e.jpg

Oaken's Slidin' Sleighs coaster track is looking nice and twisty.

As I see all the 'jumble' of track there, some of which I assume will be enclosed and covered with "mountain," I don't think this is a clone of the Mine Train ride, at all. There was a rumor that the sleigh cars would be something like the mine cars, swinging side to side. But I am pretty sure that's not happening with this one. And when you look at most of the layout, it does look like there's only one lift hill in it.

So I'm going with "new ride altogether." 🎢

Frozen30.png.4b6a4029fd957d3315e33aab47b67124.png

Earlier photo taken. Lift hill on right. And that's it as far as I can see.

It actually looks like it might be a quicker (timed) ride than the Dwarfs' Mine Train.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Recent construction photo of 'Arendelle: Home of Frozen'...

Frozen31.thumb.png.ca312a9fd259b7024592ee5cb3add764.png

Photo from the net, Thanks! It's really looking good, there. Almost a whole new mini-Land unto itself, lol.

And...... I am still curious, about that GREEN RECTANGULAR THING in back, there? And how they are hiding it, etc?

Does it maybe have to do, with some kind of "water filtration system" as the attraction is a flume ride, yes?

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 7:50 PM, Nrthwnd said:

And...... I am still curious, about that GREEN RECTANGULAR THING in back, there? And how they are hiding it, etc?

Does it maybe have to do, with some kind of "water filtration system" as the attraction is a flume ride, yes?

That's just what Disney does.  They match the building color to the visible surroundings.  Here's Guardians at Epcot, matching the lower trees, taller trees, and the sky.  If you're in the park and actively looking for it you'll see it but otherwise it fades into the background.

guardians-of-the-galaxy-roller-coaster-construction-update-january-2019-4-gravity-building-closed.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^ Judging by the concept art, the building in the middle with the cylindrical bits around the outside looks to be the Arendelle castle.  That'll do a decent job of hiding the majority of the green monster.  Maybe it's part of the ride building for Frozen Ever After?  I'd assume that's mostly housed in the North Mountain, though. Backstage offices? That's a lot of HVAC madness on the roof for a simple office building, though.  Maybe it's Walt's cryogenic facility.

• Haha 1

^ On an earlier overhead photo, that green building (here, unpainted) is definitely separate from the main flume attraction.

So... who knows? Could be just a power supply building. Power for both the flume and the coaster, there.

Frozen16.png.52caadb2535273633763b7f33e75454f.png

Somehow missed this news but the 2 week park closure that was supposed to have originally ended January 20th was extended and the park is still closed:

Hong Kong Disneyland Park will temporarily close from Jan 7 to Feb 23, 2022

As required by the government and health authorities and in line with prevention efforts taking place across Hong Kong, Hong Kong Disneyland Park will temporarily close from Jan 7 to Feb 23, 2022.

The resort hotels will remain open with adjusted level of services. Service at restaurants and recreation facilities in hotels will be adjusted according to the latest regulations.

These arrangements will be adjusted from time to time with reference to the latest government requirements.

Unused Park Tickets and/or Designated In-Park Products with expiry dates falling within the Park's temporary closure period (from January 7 to Feb 23, 2022) will be extended. For hotel bookings with check-in date falling within this period, free cancellation can be arranged if required. The validity date for Magic Access Memberships will also be extended. More details will be communicated through our official website when park reopens.

The new end date is a week from today, however with hospitals overwhelmed right now and Hong Kong's Omicron crisis worsening (there are pictures of people on stretchers having to be put outside the hospitals) it seems likely that this closure could be extended especially since Ocean Parks announcement now states that it's until further notice.

Hong Kong is seeing 4,000 a day which seems low but with extremely strict quarantine measures including all cases, no matter how severe, having to be hospitalized and going to quarantine camps for close contacts including for the health workers who get exposed, coupled with the vulnerable elderly, it seems the hospitals are overwhelmed compared to countries like Japan and South Korea that are also seeing record numbers but relatively low occupancy rates on the corona wards and can continue 'living with corona'.

As expected the deadline has been extended… all the way to at least April 20th. 

Hong Kong Disneyland Park will temporarily close from Jan 7 to Apr 20, 2022

As required by the government and health authorities and in line with prevention efforts taking place across Hong Kong, Hong Kong Disneyland Park will temporarily close from Jan 7 to Apr 20, 2022.

The resort hotels will remain open with adjusted level of services. Service at restaurants and recreation facilities in hotels will be adjusted according to the latest regulations.

These arrangements will be adjusted from time to time with reference to the latest government requirements.

Unused Park Tickets and/or Designated In-Park Products with expiry dates falling within the Park's temporary closure period (from January 7 to Apr 20, 2022) will be extended. For hotel bookings with check-in date falling within this period, free cancellation can be arranged if required. The validity date for Magic Access Memberships will also be extended. More details will be communicated through our official website when park reopens.

• 2 weeks later...

Still early but the parks could be closed past April. Although total case numbers seem small by other countries standards, Hong Kong has to follow China's policy of '0 Corona' rather than 'Living with Corona' as well as Hong Kong seeing their corona death rate rocket past the average of any other country in this pandemic.

image.png.03791aebd871340e4e272c50de8e105d.png

• Sad 1

From what I'm reading it's mostly elderly and care home people getting sick because for some reason they didn't vaccinate them!!??  This is a disaster for not just the park but HK in general.  Multinational companies don't want to do business there anymore cause it's such a strict mess!

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, SharkTums said:

From what I'm reading it's mostly elderly and care home people getting sick because for some reason they didn't vaccinate them!!??  This is a disaster for not just the park but HK in general.  Multinational companies don't want to do business there anymore cause it's such a strict mess!

Afaik, most elderly people there did not take the vaccine as they were scared of side-effects and also for most of the pandemic, Hong Kong had little to no Covid spread in the community so the elderly thought they had little need for it

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

The park will reopen April 21st, as will Ocean Park, but both parks are required to be reservation only as per the Government regulations. Ocean Park has more details on what is required to be able to reserve these tickets but seemingly being able to reserve will be based on filling out a medical declaration, proving you're fully vaccinated, and having an app/qr code called LeaveHomeSafe

Hong Kong Disneyland Park will officially reopen on 21 April. Magic Access members can begin reserving their visit from 14 April, after which the system will open for public reservation from 12:00 noon on 16 April.

All guests may make a reservation beginning 90 days prior to arrival. Valid Park Tickets, Membership Cards and/or Ticket Vouchers/Confirmation will be required to make a Park Visit Reservation. Reservation is on a first-come-first-serve basis. Reservation will only be valid on the selected visit date and timeslot, and will expire after your visit.

Park admission is subject to the validity and blockout dates of the ticket or membership. Please check the expiry date and blockout dates applicable to your and your accompanying Guests’ ticket or membership prior to making a reservation.

• Thanks 1