TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

Obviously, the riots will have an effect on tourism but I think this article could be a bit misleading, trying to make a bigger story and make it seem like it's the main reason the park looks quiet.

For reference before my son was born, we would go out to Hong Kong regularly this time every other year or so for Chuseok since it's a Korean exclusive national holiday it's a perfect time for us to travel since it's quieter and our only other vacations are in hugely busy times: Chinese New Year, Last week of July and Christmas. These articles talk about how Hyper-Space Mountain and Small World are the most popular rides but we've had boats to ourselves or empty lines, no waits for any greetings for almost every trip.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the riots are causing a lot of tourism problems but I think this article is using what is usually a very quiet time to try and get some attention. I mean my photos were taken after the park was open a while on a nice weather day around this exact time, we've got spoilt on our Chuseok trips so we don't even go to the park at opening or 60-90 minutes before opening like we do when we visit Tokyo.

P1120623.thumb.jpg.e050603d10c66cb94ef923d672518d27.jpg

P1120649.thumb.jpg.f1a90a06d6124ae3942bc05bd03e26b4.jpg

P1120720.thumb.jpg.ccc1191e767540e671498c57b313d206.jpg

P1120724.thumb.jpg.21586dd875321a8c4079062989bf54c8.jpg

P1120917.thumb.jpg.d19078e45c6d233e9fc1c0faa99e9480.jpg

P1130157.thumb.jpg.8932702236e6bb42caf13b2cb419b580.jpg

P1130720.thumb.jpg.0e9d00a1f3e1ed47eeea4dda1c84555a.jpg

P1120903.thumb.jpg.f6f4df8d4473b6ebd56f3ef431e560b3.jpg

^ that's an interesting perspective. . and you're correct, it does seem they are trying to make the attendance (or lightness of it) a bigger deal than it is.

to be fair tho, the Riots are a big deal - so it makes sense a mass-market news site like CNN would attempt to tie them to something most Americans are aware of (ie: Disneyland, even if I'm sure most don't realize there IS a HK Disneyland) to get eyeballs on the story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Disney Imagineering just released this photo of a model of "Arendelle: Home of Frozen" in HKDL. It also includes an overhead layout of the land, in the back of the model, on the right. Cool!

Actually, it would be even cooler to see all three models of Arendelle/Frozen

(Hong Kong, Tokyo and Paris) side by side, together!

Frozen09.jpg.b84e41d4fe59fbc833178af93ac3cebb.jpg

Two new photos of the ongoing Castle Renovation have been posted by HK Main Street Gazette, thank you!

The second one is really beautiful to me, there in the darkness and setting sun. Perfect!

Castle23.png.f307fb09bf24f6ca6d538e39e965a7fa.png

Castle24.jpg.7185d970b56b79ae953c05abc0ccd9d6.jpg

New overhead shots of park construction by @Rogerseamo ...thankyou!

Castle25.png.b1daa7b9ee6ace257650831a84820454.png

Castle construction from the back of it. In front of it, is going to be a lot of work, too.

Marvel02.png.0f2c5da7616141fa1b6fbe46b2faf64d.png

Marvel Attraction construction. Neat that they left the front 'looping track' of Autopia, still there. For now.

Frozen10.thumb.jpg.6c7f2bef1b99e30373f28497806e68d4.jpg

Arendelle~Home of Frozen. Left of center: The Flume ride. Upper Middle: The Coaster ride.

And does the bottom, right hand corner, look like some kind of overpass entry being built, too?

So that would make three entry ways into this new Land! From Toy Story Land, from IAsW, and here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New photos of the Arendell/FROZEN construction posted, by HKDL_of_FANTASY, thank you!

Frozen12.png.1f590d3b304b9368c303f993de8f507b.png

This is where the flume ride is being built.

Frozen13.png.958a4335345b22b6742f581b65c8659a.png

Arendelle's castle ("Tell the guards to open up - the gate!") in the middle there.

Frozen14.png.b02b535c457990209821536cfe1fc4c5.png

Where Oaken's Sliding Sleighs Coaster is going. That's the Small World show building in back.

• 4 weeks later...

The official announcement:

As a precautionary measure in line with prevention efforts taking place across Hong Kong, we are temporarily closing Hong Kong Disneyland Park starting from January 26, 2020 out of consideration for the health and safety of our Guests and Cast Members. The Hong Kong Disneyland Resort hotels will remain open. We are in close contact with health authorities and the government about the situation and will announce a reopening date once they determine it is advisable.

The Standard Park Ticket is valid for six months from the purchase date. If needed, Hong Kong Disneyland Resort will assist in the refund for Guests who have purchased tickets for admission to Hong Kong Disneyland park or have booked a resort hotel. For additional details, please click here or email to guest@hongkongdisneyland.com.

In Ocean Park, we found ourselves with large groups of tourists from mainland China, noisy, making out. It wouldn’t be so scary if at some point they didn’t decide that our children are the main attractions of the park. Ignoring all propriety (in fact, the children were sitting in a cafe and eating), they lined up to take pictures with them. They poked their fingers, laughed, amiably amazed, as if they were not children, but monkeys at the zoo eating with chopsticks. In general, it’s strange for me to read about some rides in Ocean Park - I don’t remember any rides. We rode on a cable car, went to the pandas, we liked the evening circus performance - that’s all I can say about this park. But at Disneyland it was completely different: we were there on January 2, very beautiful, everything is so small, fabulous, and very worthy of an evening light show (although we also have a very decent experience with regard to amusement parks).

Edited by Hhappy

• 2 weeks later...

According to an article on the OC Register (Link), Disney's CFO is assuming both Shanghai Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland will be closed for 2 months, resulting in a $175 million loss.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/02/04/disney-expects-coronavirus-outbreak-to-keep-shanghai-and-hong-kong-theme-parks-closed-for-two-months/

Disney assumes coronavirus outbreak could keep Shanghai and Hong Kong theme parks closed for two months

Shanghai Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland will remain closed indefinitely amid the coronavirus outbreak that has killed hundreds, infected thousands and restricted millions from traveling.

Disney assumes the coronavirus outbreak in China that has forced the temporary closure of Shanghai Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland could keep the two Asian theme parks closed for at least two months.

The temporary closure of Shanghai Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland due to China’s coronavirus outbreak could result in a $175 million loss in Disney’s upcoming second quarter, Disney chief financial officer Christine McCarthy said. The loss assumes the closure of both parks for two months, McCarthy said.

“The recent closure of our parks in both Shanghai and Hong Kong due to the ongoing coronavirus situation will negatively impact second quarter and full year results,” McCarthy said during the company’s latest earnings call. “The precise magnitude of the financial impact is highly dependent on the duration of the closures and how quickly we can resume normal operations.”

Shanghai Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland will remain closed indefinitely amid the coronavirus outbreak that has killed hundreds, infected thousands and restricted millions from traveling. The closure of the two Disney theme parks came at the beginning of the week-long Lunar New Year holiday, one of the busiest travel seasons of the year in China.

“At Shanghai Disney Resort, we currently estimate the closure of the park could have an adverse impact on second quarter operating income of approximately $135 million assuming the park is closed for two months during Q2,” McCarthy said.

Hong Kong Disneyland had already seen a significant drop in theme park attendance and hotel bookings due to the ongoing protests in the city.

“At Hong Kong Disneyland, we currently estimate the closure of the park could have an additional adverse impact on operating income of about $40 million for the second quarter,” McCarthy said. “Again, this assumes that the resort is closed for two months.”

Coronavirus symptoms include fever, coughing and difficulty breathing. Coronavirus cases have been confirmed in more than two dozen countries outside mainland China. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has identified at least 11 coronavirus cases in the United States, including in California.

The coronavirus outbreak hasn’t had an impact on visitation at Disney’s U.S. theme park, McCarthy said. Disney’s U.S. parks don’t draw a significant amount of visitors from Asia, McCarthy said. Approximately 1 in 5 visitors to Disney’s domestic parks come from international markets, McCarthy said.

South China Morning Post

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3049150/coronavirus-hong-kong-disneyland-resort-hotels

Coronavirus: Hong Kong Disneyland Resort hotels suggested as quarantine centres

- Tourism lawmaker calls on government to look at using resort’s remote accommodation for isolation

- Ministers are scrambling to find quarantine sites with confirmed infections increasing

Kanis Leung

Published: 3:42pm, 5 Feb, 2020

Calls grew on Wednesday to use hotels at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort as quarantine centres as the city tackled the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

Former chief secretary Henry Tang Ying-yen added his voice to calls from lawmakers and urged the government to look at isolating those caught in the outbreak at the theme’s park accommodation, which is located in a secluded area of Lantau Island. The park is closed because of the outbreak.

Here's the thing, I've seen this on screamscape and their post is linked to Disney and More which seems to also quote SCMP as it's source...

but that site has had an anti-theme park bias in their editorials for a while. Especially since the Ocean Park bail-out, they've been running a lot of articles about how the theme parks/money the government invests should just be used for housing and trying to use their platform to sway public opinion.

How much truth is there is to the hotels being quarantine centers? I honestly don't know, it could have been floated as a vague idea in a meeting of possible quarantine centers. But so far SCMP seems to be the main source for these sites and they clearly think the land the parks sit on (again most of their editorials are more aimed at Ocean Park having a second government bail-out.) and until I see more sites reporting this that don't link back to SCMP, I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

SCMP.thumb.jpg.a66ba920b0f702dadc7aa7cd508b28b2.jpg

Thanks for the perspective on SCMP.

Best wishes to everyone everywhere on coping with this, especially people on the front line in China.

"If you don't read the newspaper you're uninformed.

If you do read the newspaper you're misinformed."

-- Mark Twain

I've noticed the SCMP slant as well. Someone really must have murdered their mother at a theme park or something cause they have it out for the parks! I will say that they're not wrong about the remoteness but great infrastructure at those hotels but I'm also assuming it was just a random idea by someone who wants to see parks fail. I also don't think Hong Kong needs that many quarantine beds at this time.