TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

Well, it looks lovely, but if TPR goes to China in 2016, we'll just have to see construction only.

Still, Disney's Hollywood Hotel is great and easy access to the park, via the bus.

EDIT TO Add: I also get a kick out of that "location plan" which shows the entire layout

of Grizzly Gulch Runaway Mine Cars, as well as Mystic Manor's buildings, etc. All above

where the new hotel is located.

That new hotel looks awesome. I know right now HKDL is pretty small compared to the other parks, but I am excited to see it grow. It definitely looks like a fun park with unique rides such as Mystic Manor, Grizzly Gulch, and the new Iron Man ride.

It was small when it first opened, but it is at least on par now, if not has more than Animal Kingdom, DCA, and Walt Disney Studios Paris.

I seem to remember there were some plans around, after the park first opened,

speculating that some kind of Downtown Disney 'district' would be created, in time.

But then I think, it dawned on them, they needed to start upping their attraction

numbers, so the DD was pushed to the back, for that time.

Maybe after this hotel goes up, and the Iron Man attraction opens,

a Downtown Disney might be their next project.

I'm hoping that with a third hotel they may also invest in starting a Downtown Disney type area.

Would a Downtown Disney area fit in the plot between the new and existing hotel? Or would they have to put it elsewhere. I'm not familiar with how much area a Downtown Disney type area needs.

Combined with the success of the recent expansion, the new hotel plan and other upcoming guest offerings will continue to strengthen HKDL’s positioning as the premier family destination of the region and underpin the growth momentum as seen in the fiscal 2013 results. New initiatives in the pipeline include a brand new nighttime spectacular called “Disney Paint the Night” in 2014, 10th anniversary celebration offerings in 2015 and a new themed area based on Marvel’s Iron Man franchise in late 2016.

Question to Robb and Elissa - depending on when they actually decide to open Iron Man, would there be a chance for the 2016 TPR China Tour, say to co-incide with this opening?

Just curious about the possibility. I guess it would just depend on how "late" is late in the year, heh.

1246065945_ResizeofNEWHOTELS3.jpgoriginal.jpg.258b4ed15f36d00702db9e760ff91eb8.jpg

Here's a layout showing where proposed future hotels would go. And from the looks of the other plans,

the new hotel would go right beside the Hollywood Hotel.

There is enough room infront of the current park and where the second park would be if the decided to put a downtown Disney in.

I couldn't even remember where the front of the park was. I don't always pay attention to such things when on a TPR Tour.

It is so great to see this once-little park continue to grow up, with major new hotels, new attractions and constant investment. And as it has been mentioned before, the fact that this park is outgrowing Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney California Adventure is mind-boggling.

Remember, this park consider the Liki Tikis an attraction. Hong Kong Disneyland has come quite a long way...

maxresdefault-2.thumb.jpg.d1cf2688f30fbd5b933ddcf87dfc48cd.jpg

I'm hoping that with a third hotel they may also invest in starting a Downtown Disney type area.

I think they totally could now, they have tons of room for it.

Would a Downtown Disney area fit in the plot between the new and existing hotel? Or would they have to put it elsewhere. I'm not familiar with how much area a Downtown Disney type area needs.

There is a lot of room actually, based on how they currently have the area set up. Disneyland's Downtown Disney in CA only uses 12 acres currently, with an additional 9 acres to expand on for perspective. HKDL easily has 27 acres at the moment to be built on. More or less depending on how they build out the second park and how much land they actually want to use. But they have quite a bit available.

HKDLDD.thumb.jpg.e34f7b10ac34068293a73e4b51edea26.jpg

They could even build it like the Grand Californian with a Hotel on top of they wanted. Really squeeze as much as possible out of the land, haha.

There's also the exchange rate to consider, and the fact that most Disney products are made in china, so there less cost in shipping as well. And I am sure there are other factors as well.

As for expansion, if they truly want more room, after the entire area is built out, they will have to reclaim more land. But when and if that happens is very very very far into the future.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1434193/rooms-disneylands-third-hotel-cost-hk2000-3000-night

Rooms at Hong Kong Disneyland’s planned third hotel will cost between HK$2,000 and HK$3,000 a night, its managing director told the Legislative Council today.

Lawmakers questioned whether the HK$4.26 billion project, scheduled for completion in 2017, would be profitable as it was seeking a HK$809 million loan from the Hong Kong government.

Hong Kong Disneyland managing director Andrew Kam Min-ho replied that investment returns would depend on room rates. Rooms at the new hotel would cost between HK$2,000 and HK$3,000 a night, making it less expensive than the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel, but more expensive than the Hollywood Hotel.

“We have conducted market analysis on the new project’s investment and return. Its [return] will be within that of hotels in the present market,” he told the panel on economic development.

All political party representatives at the meeting supported the loan. It will be tabled at the finance committee for approval in May.

Medical sector lawmaker Leung Ka-lau asked whether the current hotels were profitable, but Kam said figures were available only for the overall profitability of the park. Last year, the park made a HK$242 million net profit.

The 750-room third hotel and a Marvel’s Iron Man themed area, scheduled to open in 2016, are part of phase one of the park’s development project.

Discussion on the second phase had been brought forward but details could not yet be given, said Deputy Commissioner for Tourism Rosanna Law Shuk-pui.

It's pretty obvious walking outside of HKDL Park that they have a master plan that includes a DTD type area... lots of blank land along the main walkways, mainly fronted by shrubberies now.

The new hotel looks awesome - kind of like the Adventureland version of Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodges! I also appreciate that rooms in the hotels mainly have either views of the water or of the park... great positioning!

I think it's great that they're taking a measured approach to expansion... hopefully this will avoid the financial debacle that overbuilding hotels at DL Paris - this financial drag caused a lost decade for that resort that resulted in a sub-par second park and stagnant DLP park, whereas DLHK now has some top-flight new (and original!) attractions to boast of.

We'll see how things go once Shanghai DL opens, but I'm optimistic that the Greater China area can support both North/South parks, much as the US has totally viable East/West coast resorts.

The big question will be - when do we start hearing about a second park in Hong Kong? Not soon, but announcement in 5 years? 10?

When this happens, I'll be waiting to see them build an in-park or park gateway hotel.

Time to see when I can visit again...

I'd imagine that this resort's master plan has changed majorly at least once, if not a few times in the years since it first opened. The benefit Hong Kong Disneyland has behind it is a great deal of workable land still to be used and the investment from the local government to push growth along. I also think the addition of such a large, new hotel speaks to the expectations that all parties involved have in the future attendance for the resort... Why build a 750 room hotel without the expectation that those new rooms, plus all existing rooms can and will be filled consistently, right?

• 4 weeks later...