TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

Except that all the current expansions have exclusivity written into their contracts for a set number of years. Its not just marketing, its the entire perspective of management

Those contracts can always be worked around. Cinderellabration was originally a Tokyo Disneyland exclusive, but the exclusivity was worked around through negotiation so that it could be brought over to the Magic Kingdom for the Happiest Celebration on Earth.

It isn't like Disney is trying to move a concept from SeaWorld to one of its parks... If it is in the company, it really isn't THAT hard to get their hands on it, if they really want it.

Edited by jedimaster1227

That's just the marketing department pointing out the current exclusivity and uniqueness. Yes, it's important to HKDL, but if Disney decides another park needs the technology/idea it will be copied elsewhere.

Except that all the current expansions have exclusivity written into their contracts for a set number of years. Its not just marketing, its the entire perspective of management

Actually, what Larry said is 100% accurate, sorry. I don't buy that another Disney park couldn't get Grizzly Gulch if Disney wanted them to. That makes zero sense. I don't buy your information for one second.

This was a key aspect of the press releases when the expansion was first announced. Whether or not it "makes sense," it was a part of all the major press releases.

To advance and protect the interest of HKD, Government has sought and secured TWDC’s assurance that “Grizzly Trail” and “Mystic Point” will be exclusive to HKD amongst Disney theme parks worldwide and “Toy Story Land” will be exclusive amongst Disney theme parks within the Asian region at the time of their respective opening. Moreover, the combination of key storylines and technological elements of these themed areas will not be substantially repeated in any other Disney theme park within five years from their opening.

Its pretty clear and its straight form the Mouse: http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr08-09/english/panels/edev/papers/edev0630cb1-2090-1-e.pdf

The main point is not only to attract overseas visitors but also to ensure that Shanghai doesn't end up as a carbon copy of HKDL, which could possibly hurt the resort even more.

^ Yeah, cause contracts and laws in China are so sacred, and they don't wipe their asses with copyright laws or the like from other countries or anything. I'm sure Disney is very concerned.

But the contract isn't about 3rd parties. Its about the Walt Disney Company itself. Its the Hong Kong Government arranging a deal with the Walt Disney Company that WDC cannot reproduce these attractions 5 years from their opening date.

That is completely different than "sacred Chinese contracts" because there is no 3rd party involved. They aren't protecting these attractions from other Chinese theme parks, but rather other Disney parks. If thats not a legit contract, than nothing in the industry is.

That's just the marketing department pointing out the current exclusivity and uniqueness. Yes, it's important to HKDL, but if Disney decides another park needs the technology/idea it will be copied elsewhere.

Actually, what Larry said is 100% accurate, sorry. I don't buy that another Disney park couldn't get Grizzly Gulch if Disney wanted them to. That makes zero sense. I don't buy your information for one second.

This was a key aspect of the press releases when the expansion was first announced. Whether or not it "makes sense," it was a part of all the major press releases.

To advance and protect the interest of HKD, Government has sought and secured TWDC’s assurance that “Grizzly Trail” and “Mystic Point” will be exclusive to HKD amongst Disney theme parks worldwide and “Toy Story Land” will be exclusive amongst Disney theme parks within the Asian region at the time of their respective opening. Moreover, the combination of key storylines and technological elements of these themed areas will not be substantially repeated in any other Disney theme park within five years from their opening.

Its pretty clear and its straight form the Mouse: http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr08-09/english/panels/edev/papers/edev0630cb1-2090-1-e.pdf

The main point is not only to attract overseas visitors but also to ensure that Shanghai doesn't end up as a carbon copy of HKDL, which could possibly hurt the resort even more.

Thanks for pointing out the source for the basis of your comments. Much appreciated. However, the use of words like "substantially repeated" are not always easy to interpret. For example, from what I have read some of the technological elements in Mystic Manor are in essence borrowed from other Disney parks in Tokyo. Will be interested in learning about the newer technological advancements in the area.

The five year exclusivity also might prevent Shanghai from being a duplicate copy at the beginning, but I would only be one year after opening that they could start building a Toy Story Land.

I completely understand your argument but the inclusion of "5 years" in the quote from your source makes a huge difference in understanding the whole scenario.

^ I was just more impressed by the principle of keeping something semi-exclusive to Hong Kong Disneyland for a period of time. Its rather obvious that for most parks it doesn't matter.

Also, I believe Tokyo DisneySEA had a similar exclusivity contract when it first opened (if I recall correctly, for 10 years) for all of its unique attractions.

• 3 weeks later...

The path between Grizzly Gulch and Toy Story Land is now closed. I went to see if I could get some good photos of any new construction today, but alas the path is closed so I could only get some rubbish ones. Also the new shop in Toy Story Land is taking shape (called Andy's Toy Box).

P1011523.thumb.JPG.6af9fc187e74ce37578c5f62b5670b6b.JPG

P1011717.thumb.JPG.8bb3651d9486f3ef26d5709e101b42fa.JPG

Mystic Manor is shaping up to be one of Disney's more intriguing dark rides (which is saying quite a bit)--it's definitely the sort of ride this park needs (along with Runaway Mine Cars).

Here's a photo from my current trip report of TPR in China,

when me and Jon got on the Toy Story Land Parachutes,

and I got this photo of the show building (in back there)

of MM. Cool, huh?

And the building(s) in the foreground is the restaurant

and probable gift shop/bathrooms

1967738847_Resizeof005b.JPG.e96c695d244e7bde3ef6a6543be83c63.JPG

It's all there, it is. You can compare the size of it all, by checking out those people walking along the pathway, on the left there.

Has anyone heard anything official about when it will be opening? Most things I read about it have no source. I've only seen 2013 on anything from the park. But blogs seem to be saying either Spring/Summer/Mid 2013. There was also a rumour it was "delayed", however there's no opening date (not even opening month) stated so how would they know?

^^

Haven't found anything quoted by Disney on the opening date(s) for MM.

They are keeping it really close and private for this one. I check a lot of

the Disney sites every other day, and even on the main HKDL site, there's

no mention of the place... except this sign posted which I snapped while

there for the TPR China Tour, last Sept.

851664565_Resizeof002.jpg.1546b48a35ecc9aeb148fc3f425846b1.jpg

You can just make out the year, yes? It does say '2013' there. (o;

^I liked the dim sum at the Royal Banquet Hall counter-service restaurant in Fantasyland (other offerings looked good, too). Almost all of the food was Asian, of course, all over the park.

So, I'd say their food is not at the level of TDL or DisneySea, but what they had was pretty good (liked the buffet at the Hollywood Hotel, too).

Edited by cfc

^^

I had this really nice afternoon meal at the Corner Cafe on Main Street, just before I left for home.

It was pricy sure (around $50), but it was the new themed meal for their Hallowe'en celebrations, which

we just caught the beginning of. And it was pretty much totally Western cuisine. And a view of the

Flights of Fantasy parade that day too. The food was woooonderful. I would buy it again!

The counter service was very reasonable IMhO. I ate at the counter service in Adventureland and had

a very nice meal for I thought, under $10.

I also did with others the Royal Banquet Hall in Fantasyland, which was various foods (fish and chips, ribs; east indian) counter services. The food was delivered fast, except for Cheryl's poor veggie skewers which took - for - ever to get. But it was good, she admitted, when she finally got it, lol. Good prices here, too.

1790996039_ResizeofIMG_1296.JPG.70964e5fbf9e674cd2dd2400e37fb3fe.JPG

Good old Jack guarding my main course, beef! Sunday early afternoon.

2126573255_ResizeofIMG_1210.JPG.1dd9b1406a0536aa7600e50ef8254fa1.JPG

This was my dinner meal the Sat.night before. Very good and a good price, I felt.

1231291063_Resizeof0005_21.jpg.492a7b0fcc21f340633ae7748dc1efc3.jpg

Cheryl and the aforementioned skewer, on the Friday of our tour. Maybe you have to call in, and order ahead for these? Hmmm.

^ It was! Buttery smooth to the cut, it was exquisite!

And I don't enthuse that much about a meal, trust me.

And more pix of the meal when I get to my final day at Disney,

the day I leave Hong Kong for home...

In my current ongoing tour report on China! Doing HKDL now.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63786\

Edited by Nrthwnd