TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

Surely you agree it would be far, far cheaper than a $100 million clone of the entire Big Grizzly ride? Remember, I replied to someone who said "bring this to DCA". Which wouldn't make sense imo, if you already have Big Thunder.

I honestly am not sure. You would have to literally tear apart a significant portion of the mountain and then completely redesign the layout. Honestly, I don't see it being worth it at all.

I think a better solution would be to take the technology to an entirely different ride, like a new Tomorrowland coaster.

I honestly am not sure. You would have to literally tear apart a significant portion of the mountain and then completely redesign the layout. Honestly, I don't see it being worth it at all.

Uh, no. You wouldn't have to touch the existing ride at all, with the exception of a few track pieces to connect the existing ride to the new section... which you would construct next to the existing mountain/ride. You guys are making this a lot more complex than it has to be.

Hmm--I'm not an engineer, but I think you may be seriously underestimating how much reengineering, renovation, and layout changes the Big Thunder rides would need to accomodate these elements.
You make it sound as if I said it could be done overnight.

Surely you agree it would be far, far cheaper than a $100 million clone of the entire Big Grizzly ride? Remember, I replied to someone who said "bring this to DCA". Which wouldn't make sense imo, if you already have Big Thunder.

Not necessarily. I have no idea what would have to be done to a ride like Grizzly River Run or Big Thunder Mountain to accomodate these changes. You're the one who believes it would be "easy."

But sometimes it's cheaper to build something new than to renovate something old.

Edited by cfc

^I'd love to see this complexity simplified... Because frankly, I'm just not seeing it.

Here's an example. In Paris, you could simply modify the existing lifthill #2 (yellow) to include the "breaking cable" effect and drop you backwards into a bit of new track (red). Then at the end of the backwards section, there's more than enough space to build a launch building (where a goat steps onto a detonator, while trying to reach a basket of apples... after all, no grizzly bears in Bryce Canyon). From there, you're launched (green) into the existing remainder of the ride.

As you can see, I wouldn't touch the existing ride layout or mountain at all...

In fact, you would even be able to continue to use the old layout. Perhaps to add an element of surprise, and let some trains skip the backwards segment.

btm3.thumb.jpg.67e03d3eab6e8848762d0d6b7fa6c2eb.jpg

BTM Paris

^^But is it even needed? You're using Paris here, not DL. Grizzly fits in with the California theme already. It's already quite different from BTMRR, and they could easily fit it into California Adventure where Redwood Challenge currently is...

If you even mention modifying BTMRR you'll probably have 1,000,000 angry fanboys at your throat.

Well I wasn't convinced but hastily drawn colorful arrows changed my mind!!!!!

They are sort of hypnotic . . .

But, arrows or no, I think this project would still call for quite a bit reengineering on the mountain and the infrastructure. But that being said, I like the idea of the Hong Kong park having something unique.

Even it it did require a lot of re-engineering and investment it could be a intersting way to plus one of the BTMR attractions. I mean the ride doesn't really need anything in my opinion but 10 years from now or so upgrading the experience might not hurt.

Grizzly Mountain looks awesome by the way, almost the perfect coaster for a Disney park. I really like the buildups before the exciting sections and almost wish Everest was more like this. As good as Everest is the beginning of that ride always seemed like it was just missing something to me, it really could use more track/a show scene between the lifts besides the long slow curve around nothing. That lift into the backwards drop effect would have worked great on Everest before the backwards section too.

I got a chance to ride BGM a few weeks ago; once from the front row and once from the back. In all honesty, it was great. Extremely smooth, long, and good show elements (in particular, I loved that the 'reverse' moment doesn't require an awkward stop like Everest). While it is not the most thrilling ride, it is definitely fun.

Are the yellow dots in that diagram Pixie Dust, or the stuff you're smoking....or both?

Why would Disney even bother altering one of their mountains to simulate or replicate a brand new one they built in Hong Kong- a ride which 99% of the population will never step foot on...or even know exists?

"Re-engineering" an E-ticket isn't usually their style. Building brand new experiences is.

Edited by BeemerBoy

I've always wanted there two be TWO Space Mountains, and one of them was purple, and you launched out of the top of the white one and into the purple one, but you also had to go through the elf from Gauntlet's legs to get there.

I made this diagram showing it is very possible and technically feasible to do so. Why isn't Disney doing this?????

spacemtngauntletelf.thumb.jpg.b99660446a21d70a19487f5d4ee6fcec.jpg

^ You mean this point?

It would be much wiser (and much, much cheaper) to modify the existing Big Thunder Mountains to include the breaking lift, backwards section and launch.

Quite easy too, as there's more than enough space around all of them for a bit of extra track.

If so, then Wes' idea is legit. There seems to be plenty of space for more track, and it does look quite easy to do.

I say bring on the elf!

Yes, the point of not building a ride twice.

To the average visitor, both rides are out-of-control mine trains, in a very similar old west, desert environment.

Why would Disney build Grizzly Mountain in a park that already has Big Thunder Mountain?

While they are converting BTMRR at Disneyland they might as well add a updated braking system to the Matterhorn and add a vertical loop. It's amazing these modifications weren't done during the recent downtime.

I've always wondered what is going to happen with Disneyland. I mean many of the rides are 50 years old, what other theme parks have rides that old that don't feel like completely outdated crap? It's amazing these rides have held up as well as they have. It wasn't as noticeable until these most recent Disneylands started popping up. Rides like Grizzly Gulch, Mystic Manor, the Pirates Shanghai is supposed to be getting and maybe even Space Mountain in Paris really help Disneyland's similar attractions look dated in comparison. Is Disneyland going to become nostalgia land?

I kind of feel like Disneyland is nostalgia-land. Isn't that part of the point? It's modern, but it harkens back to the day that Walt opened the park for people to just have a good time, adults and kids alike. I've honestly never felt that the rides there are outdated, even after riding things like Expedition Everest and some of the newer offerings around the country, Disney or not. They're exactly what they need to be, and I don't think anybody cares that they're "old" when their kids are having the times of their lives.

I've always wanted there two be TWO Space Mountains, and one of them was purple, and you launched out of the top of the white one and into the purple one, but you also had to go through the elf from Gauntlet's legs to get there.

I made this diagram showing it is very possible and technically feasible to do so. Why isn't Disney doing this?????

Shut down the internet, Wes won.

And I demand a ride themed to Gauntlet right now.

dt