TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Pinball Thread

Oh, wow, what a cool thread!

I used to own a machine I haven't heard anyone mention yet... Pharaoh. It was one of the first mangasave machines by Williams. The others in that series were Jungle Lord, Haunted House, and the legend, Black Knight.

Personal favorite machines...

Twilight Zone (magic ball time!)

Addams Family

Indiana Jones (new machine... Eight Ball Multiball!!!!)

Pharaoh

Haunted House

Black Hole

Dungeons & Dragons

Whirlwind

Pinbot

Terminator 2

Safecracker

I've seen several unusual machines in my time, but there was one I remember, (can't think of the name) but the playfield was basically an elongated bowl and the bumpers spun at high speed. It was an incredible machine, but I only saw it at one spot years and years ago. Does anyone know which machine I'm talking about?

Squid

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a William's Black Knight, it's actually one of the "Limited Edition" machines that they made after becoming the highest selling machine of its time. No difference between my machine and the original run other than a "Limited Edition" sticker on the apron of the play field (which I think was a run of 600 of them). I still play it from time to time, here's a link to IPDB with info about it. It had a lot of features for its time.

One of these days I'm going to add another machine or two from that era to compliment my old school machine. Some of my ideas include:

Firepower

Space Shuttle

Pinbot

If I had the $$ my dream machine would be 'Theatre of Magic.' That is my all-time favorite.

I won Pharaoh in a contest that was held at my local arcade. I bought Donkey Kong at a charity auction. I've since sold both of them to a friend of mine who is a collector of arcade machines. He had at one point over 20 pinball and 10 arcade standups.

Squid

He used to live in the area. I'm not sure if he still does; I haven't talked to him in some time. I also know he had to part with a bunch of the collection at one time. But I'll try and find out if he's still around for you.

Squid

• 1 month later...

Thank you Angry Gumball for the tipoff on Craigslist. I now have a sweet 1981 Black Hole in the basement! It just got delivered tonight, and I absolutely love everything about this table. It has amazing sound effects and vocoder type speech, awesome graphics, a really challenging layout (love that lower level), and is just an all around fun game.

I wonder if they'll notice why I'm so sleepy at work tomorrow. Check out the pictures!

IMG_3744_450x600.JPG.7575b8835f4088fa20f8a8789c14392c.JPG

Oooooo ahhhhhh...super massive.

IMG_3753_450x600.JPG.26489275ed0d36245da1386c3cc56d63.JPG

Full frontal!

IMG_3742_600x450.JPG.176bdcc888ee710b8548c113351358a6.JPG

Welcome home Black Hole.

IMG_3757_600x450.JPG.1b55a5c1fdb97f76e99aae7837c3392f.JPG

I'm getting sucked in!

IMG_3768_450x600.JPG.80641518707a2ec9cda18731b669d138.JPG

Here it is!

Nice! It's funny how your first pin's a Black Hole...that was one of the first ones I was interested in trying out before trying out the Williams pins. A thing about your pin: One of my friends also has a BH, and had a lot of work to do on it including modifying the grounds as he told me that Gottlieb had a poor way of having it's grounding system set up. Otherwise, nice pin! Would like to try the actual BH, just only played it on my PSP.

Oh yea, re-set up our machines a couple months ago but this thread was buried and I was too lazy to post it...but here's the game room.

pin1.jpg.78e2892aa95af468126461f32401f232.jpg

Funhouse, Taxi, and Whirlwind. All killer Williams pinball machines!

pin2.jpg.e3e913f6649654672957f0e759cb2c7d.jpg

Complete with my Pinball Kitty, Luna! You haven't had a challenge unless my cat is sitting on your machine!

Dude you have some sweet machines! I was just playing Funhouse in an arcade the other night and thought it was really cool.

Yeah the guy who sold the BH machine to me did quite a bit of modding to the electronics to modernize it from the former Gottlieb fail. It's running really awesome right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I know, this thread's probably ran into the ground, but for you Wii owners out there who don't have the money and room for a pinball machine, (They also have it for Xbox and PS2, going to be hard to find for those systems) the Pinball Hall of Fame Gottlieb Collection was just released probably a month or so ago which features Black Hole and 9 other Gott's within the game. Definitely worth the $20. I just bought it to go along with my Williams Collection I got almost a year ago. Both games are probably the best video pinball games out there.

• 2 months later...

I love pinball! My favorite ones would have to be Pinball Magic, Travel Time, and Circus Voltaire. Many of the pinball machines mentioned here are at Playland-Not-At-The-Beach in El Cerrito, California. All of the pinball there is free unlimited play. The only price is the admission. Even pinball legends go to Playland to play pinball because it has such a nice collection.

At this hotel that's really close to me, they have an NBA pinball machine. It's really cool except it's a Bally which means you can't control the plunger. This also this other game that's like a pinball machine, but it's more like table baseball. You're supposed to win baseball cards, but I never got that to work.

What are some good pinball/arcade video game forums on the web? I've pretty much been just been checking out CoinOpSpace, Pinside, and RGP. I like any sites that have to do with video arcades, home gamerooms, and the like. Am I missing any really good sites?

Ahh, life is good if I can get a good game of pinball. My go-to favorites would be The Addams Family machine and The Twilight Zone machine, though those are getting harder and harder to find in what little arcades are left. Down here at WDW, we mainly have the Pirates of the Caribbean machine (of course), but if you look around there's some verity around the different resort arcades and at Tomorrowland Light and Power, mainly Stern machines like World Poker Tour, RollerCoaster Tycoon, NASCAR, and the newer Indiana Jones machine (which has the easiest 8 ball multi-ball ever). The exception being Tomorrowland Light and Power which also has the two Pinball 2000 games from Williams/Midway (Revenge from Mars in 3D and Star Wars: Episode 1, neither of which last I played worked very well) and, oddly, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (a Sega machine with the greatest play-field music ever of Edgar Winter Group).

• 2 weeks later...
Ahh, life is good if I can get a good game of pinball. My go-to favorites would be The Addams Family machine and The Twilight Zone machine, though those are getting harder and harder to find in what little arcades are left.

I have an acquaintance friend of a friend who has both of those tables in his home arcade!

Has anyone been to check out the pinball exhibit at the San Francisco airport? It's supposed to be amazing!

http://www.sfoarts.org/exhibits/current.html

What are some good pinball/arcade video game forums on the web? I've pretty much been just been checking out CoinOpSpace, Pinside, and RGP. I like any sites that have to do with video arcades, home gamerooms, and the like. Am I missing any really good sites?

A lot of the sites I used to go to have faded away. You can try:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/

Its a good jump off spot to some forums and good websites.

I used to be VERY involved with VAPS (Video Arcade Preservation Society) but after a wife and 2 kids, I didn't have the time for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly on the topic of pinball, my senior thesis/project is going to be based on Pinball. I'm creating a cartoon utilizing my crazy cat (look at earlier pages of this thread to see my cat take on Taxi), my cartoon alter ego (seen in my Hi-Dive cartoon), and of course a Pinball machine. I thought this would be appropriate for this thread as it's on the topic of pinball, and I think this cartoon related to this subject matter's going to have a great turnout! The cartoon will be launched Summer 2010 as I'm just getting the concept/story down.

pinballkittysmall.jpg.35f0cb056c3a4a07955e4d335e0f9726.jpg

Cartoon coming Summer 2010!