TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Pinball Thread

I did some searching, and found that there are some users on here who are avid players. I never really got into it as a kid, but this year got hooked. A coworker got some machines (Gottlieb Black Hole Solid State, William's Superstar EM) and was telling me about it, which gave me the urge to play some video game pinball (Metroid Prime to be exact). I recieved a "Pinball Hall of Fame Williams Collection" for the Wii which features 10 Williams tables including the ever-so-loved Funhouse. This game is actually quite realistic graphics and physics-wise. So, now I'm hooked, have yet to hit up a real machine since I got addicted (there aren't many around here). I went as far as getting the Gottlieb Collection for the PSP as the Wii version is only an Eurpoean release. I'm now hitting up Craigslist as I want to get a real machine (Funhouse would be nice).

So with all this said, what are your favorite machines and/or manufacturer?

My favorites would have to be Black Hole, Funhouse, Taxi, and Whirlwind, granted I've only played 3 of these digitally, played Whirlwind once before at a run-down bowling alley ages ago, loved the spinning discs. Hopefully this won't be a dead topic.

Note-none of these machines are mine (I wish I had them!)

Do you dare to enter the black hole?

This reminds me of the Laffing Sal for some reason.

Poor kitty that gets ran over in the game...

I always thought the fan on top was cool.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I don´t have a pic of it, but I remember when I still was in school in the early 90´s, we drove to a game arcade located at the next bigger city (40 miles away) just to play "Road Constructor".

This funky Pinball-machine was shaking and rummbling every time you hit the pinball and had a "Daisy-Duke-lookalike"-mate at the display that cheerd at you!

OMG I love Pinball! I used to own 4 machines but now I only have 1. The machine that I own is Creature From the Black Lagoon & it is my favorite! My family sold 2 old ones we had I forget what they were called & I gave my friend who is a pinball wiz kid our Gorgar machine since it didn't work anymore. To help me get over my coaster withdraw in the off-season, most of my time is spent playing pinball since it is very addicting. My friend who I gave Gorgar to has 7 pinball machines in his basement! Here are some pics of my Creature From The Black Lagoon pinball machine.

This pic was taken when I still had Gorgar.

I miss this game but my friend lets me play it at his house when ever I want.

My favorite pinball machine

Creature From The Black Lagoon!

An overview of the play field.

A close up of the ramps.

When you unlock multiball the creature appears in the glass.

Side pic.

Black hole...

I love that game, prob one of the best Got's next to Star Gate.

Angry_Gumball: You can find Black hole pretty cheap at auctions and sometimes eBay, fyi. 300-800 range depending on how much work you want to do to it. http://www.superauctions.com/pages/home.htm

Usually they get stuck with morons who over bid at the Super Auctions, but those people will be going after the newer and big name pins.. Something like Black Hole should stay lower in price.

Creature From the Black Lagoon Whatever you do keep that game, like fun house, etc people are nuts for it, easy 8 grand, fully mint it up and can be higher. Good collector.

I miss pinball machines at arcades, since I started getting them it's so sad to see the few and far between ones that are abused and beaten up. =(

pac.jpg.f2e935de151a40bf0f68d884cb8bc7e2.jpg

Speed chip, modified board setup with flip switch for Ms or Pac.

PINS.jpg.f0312e56eed245876cf62c96c12c6a21.jpg

Oh man pinball is where it's at! I would much rather play pinball anyday than a video game. That said, my favs are the Bally and Sega machines. Sega made a machine when the movie "Twister" came out, and it featured a spinning magnetic disc "tornado" which would grab the ball and then fling it back out into the machine. It was tons of fun. It is too bad most arcades have closed now, but I think there is still a vintage arcade in New Orleans in the French Quarter featuring lots of great old games. I was fortunate to visit it back in 2004 before Katrina. Definitely a place to check out if you're into vintage machines.

I love this thread already and can't wait to see more of it!

I love pinball, still do, and would play it over video games any where, any time.

I enjoyed one called MAGIC, with the rotating box up near the back? I got very good at that one.

The FISHING (angling?) one is 'okay' IMhO. I didn't think it had enough routes for the ball to go, to enjoy it more in play.

FUNHOUSE had it's fun too, esp. when The Dummy vomits back the ball to you after you slammed it up into his mouth, LOL! Usually followed immediately with a mulitball payoff.

And - as far as upright vid games go, I used to be pretty good at Q-BERT, too!

FUNHOUSE had it's fun too, esp. when The Dummy vomits back the ball to you after you slammed it up into his mouth, LOL! Usually followed immediately with a mulitball payoff.

You have to set the clock to midnight, then shoot the ball into Rudy's mouth for the 3-ball multi-ball to happen. A lot of this game reminds me of Laffing Sal, and the historic Playland park we used to have back then, though the game was an early 90's game. I like how he makes different remarks as you play or pop him in the mouth.

I'm not sure if CGA has pinball machines in their arcades, but if so, I'll finally have an excuse/desire to go into the arcades...I'm sure they have all the new movie-based Stern machines...

I think the last real pins I played was a few years back at the community college game room. I believe it was Bally's Cirqus Voltaire or Dr. Dude. I also played the RCT machine.

One question for you pinball buffs: how much would you pay for an EM machine (Electro-Mechanical)? I was told never go over $300 for a fully working one yet all I find are between $4-500.

^ Cyclone, High Speed, is that F-14 Tomcat next to Cyclone? That is a pretty darn good lineup. I used to love going to playland at Rehoboth because they had rows after rows of pinball machines. I haven't been back since 03 so I don't know if they are still there.

^^I did not know Hershey had a pinball arcade. I know Kennywood does. When my dad and I went to Kennywood, he stayed in there the whole time while I collected the credits.

I own a High Speed Machine. My dad got it for me for Christmas 10+ years ago. It's a very fun game, but unfortunately, I know next to nothing else about pinball.

You have to set the clock to midnight, then shoot the ball into Rudy's mouth for the 3-ball multi-ball to happen. A lot of this game reminds me of Laffing Sal, and the historic Playland park we used to have back then, though the game was an early 90's game. I like how he makes different remarks as you play or pop him in the mouth.

That was one of my favorite parts of the game and back in the day, I was pretty good at getting multiball or winning a game. Like other things that I used to do but don't do as much now (ahem), I'm out of practice!

I did manage to find the game as part of a virtual pinball game. I need to dig that program up and play it.

Terry

I did manage to find the game as part of a virtual pinball game. I need to dig that program up and play it.

Tsk, tsk.

Ain't the same as the real thing, Terry.

Our "arcade" at Playland, or whatever they call it, is mostly video-type games and only a few real pinball machines set up there, last time I looked in the building with any interest. I might check it again this season, see if there's any new machines inside (or less), when the park opens on April 25th.

I'm not expecting anything significant, lol.

Which means... maybe I'll be surprised!

(Edit for spelling and noting that arcade at Hershey looks great!)